IGNORED

Do you own the music you buy from a download site?

smdb01us

Maybe interesting... but apparently untrue (read the update).

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Maybe interesting... but apparently untrue (read the update).

Eloise

Hoax or not, it still raises questions about whether somebody really owns a download he or she has paid for.

It is to be fair mostly a theoretical discussion, as once you do have the files on the hard disk, it is hard to control what you're doing with it, but I still feel a bit annoyed by the fact that most download sites I'm aware of talk about a "non-transferable" license.

I'm not a lawyer, but to me this means for example that something I downloaded off e.g. Highresaudio I couldn't resell. I wouldn't want to anyhow, but I still feel this entire legal situation needs a little bit of clarification.

This is an interesting topic. I see it as two different items.

1. What is actually purchased (a license to listen).

2. Transfer of ownership

A. Upon death.

B. upon sale or gift.

I assumed everyone understood they were only purchasing a license to listen. The transfer of ownership is another story. Does anyone know if physical CDs have such a restriction placed on transfer of ownership?

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

This is an interesting topic. I see it as two different items.

1. What is actually purchased (a license to listen).

2. Transfer of ownership

A. Upon death.

B. upon sale or gift.

I assumed everyone understood they were only purchasing a license to listen. The transfer of ownership is another story. Does anyone know if physical CDs have such a restriction placed on transfer of ownership?

[Pedantic lawyer mode] What you pay for is one or more rights. "License" is a somewhat more precise, and "ownership" a somewhat less precise, term for the act of transferring the right(s), in return for payment or other consideration. [/Pedantic lawyer mode]

I'd assume you can resell physical CDs without running afoul of any legal restrictions, since CD resale is something that's always been carried on quite openly without even those nice folks at the RIAA apparently being bothered.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

I'd assume you can resell physical CDs without running afoul of any legal restrictions, since CD resale is something that's always been carried on quite openly without even those nice folks at the RIAA apparently being bothered.

That is what would be really interesting to know for sure. Ideally, I would like to have the same "rights" with my digital music as I do with my physical media...

Does anyone know if physical CDs have such a restriction placed on transfer of ownership?

I can only comment on European law - every time I think US law can't get any crazier, I get surprised :), but over here a CD is a physical item that you can transfer freely. You have not signed any sort of contract restricting transfer rights when buying a CD in a shop.

I can only comment on European law - every time I think US law can't get any crazier, I get surprised :), but over here a CD is a physical item that you can transfer freely. You have not signed any sort of contract restricting transfer rights when buying a CD in a shop.

Second reason why I love Amsterdam... :D

The user agreements are gibberish and not read by anyone ever....An agreement is only binding if both sides understand it.

I have to wonder how much you are willing to spend on legal fees attempting to prove that...

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

My understanding of the law is that you own the music for personal use, but you can't give make copies for anyone else.

An update to the Bruce Willis story says the part about him being involved in a lawsuit is untrue. However, the article says there is no specific Apple restriction on transferring the music, for instance to heirs.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protectors +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Protection>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three BXT (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

I had never thought of the license concept being an issue until my copy of Chris Botti's Italia suddenly stopped playing. Nothing I had done, but the Company through whom I had bought it had gone bankrupt and their licenses were revoked. That it turn, meant all of their users licenses were also revoked. Theoretically I could have sued somebody to either recover my money or get my license back, but whom do you sue over $25.00. It was my first 24/192 download, but it sure made me think harder about whom I was buying these songs from. I don't think that can happen with physical media, but who knows in these days of Blu-Ray Disks authenticating themselves?

Does anyone really know how solvent the various download vendors are and whether or not what we download contains DRM (Digital Rights Management) software?

Synology NAS>i7-6700/32GB/NVIDIA QUADRO P4000 Win10>Qobuz+Tidal>Roon>HQPlayer>DSD512> Fiber Switch>Ultrarendu (NAA)>Holo Audio May KTE DAC> Bryston SP3 pre>Levinson No. 432 amps>Magnepan (MG20.1x2, CCR and MMC2x6)

Does anyone really know how solvent the various download vendors are and whether or not what we download contains DRM (Digital Rights Management) software?

Qobuz has a claim on their site that they stopped all DRM in 2009:

La musique téléchargée contient-elle des DRM ? - Résolue

No mention I could find about reselling the files at first look. They authorize private use only, so you cannot use them in your next public concert, which is fine by me:

Le client bénéficie d'un droit d'utilisation personnel des fichiers, limité aux conditions décrites à l'article 7, dans un cadre strictement privé. Conformément à l'article 2 des présentes CGUV, tous les fichiers proposés au téléchargement sont protégés par le droit d'auteur. Leur utilisation ne pourra donc se faire strictement que dans un cadre privé et gratuit, dans le total respect des conditions définies par QOBUZ (Source: Conditions Générales d'Utilisation et de Vente de Qobuz).

No idea about their financial situation.

I had never thought of the license concept being an issue until my copy of Chris Botti's Italia suddenly stopped playing. Nothing I had done, but the Company through whom I had bought it had gone bankrupt and their licenses were revoked. That it turn, meant all of their users licenses were also revoked. Theoretically I could have sued somebody to either recover my money or get my license back, but whom do you sue over $25.00. It was my first 24/192 download, but it sure made me think harder about whom I was buying these songs from. I don't think that can happen with physical media, but who knows in these days of Blu-Ray Disks authenticating themselves?

I am not sure I understand what you are saying...Did you download your music to your PC? Did you back up your PC. How can a file you own on your PC be turned off by the company that sold it to you without that company entering into your PC and screwing with the file??

If you are using some sort of a 'cloud' service, well...all can say about that is good luck.

I have found you an argument; I am not obliged to find you any understanding – Samuel Johnson

The user agreements are gibberish and not read by anyone ever....An agreement is only binding if both sides understand it.

You are not correct as a practical matter regarding the law of contracts in general and the law regarding EULAs (end user license agreements, or "click-wrap" contracts) specifically. And your statement that you "doubt the industry would be stupid enough to prosecute individuals over it" has been refuted by numerous RIAA suits against individual users/listeners for shockingly large requested damage figures. I don't remember for sure whether I'd read somewhere that the RIAA was going to abandon that strategy, but even if they have there's absolutely nothing preventing them from resuming what they've clearly shown they are indeed "stupid enough" to do.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.