IGNORED

Article: Aurender S10 Music Server Review

Audio_ELF<br />

I have a couple of the units for streaming music and have tried to figure how to use it with the Aurender( I do not yet have one), but I'm not sure exactly how it would be configured for the Aurender to access my wireless network(Airport Extreme based).<br />

thanks

thanks

Francisco

Yes, I am aware of Mpod, and have used it with a Sonore.<br />

<br />

"There is a fine app called mpod which uses the iPod (touch, phone, etc). Chris even mentioned in his review that it would be nice to not have to lug the ipad for every remote use."<br />

<br />

I must say, I know you are (a little) older than me, your eyesight must be quite good, as I realize you seem to use Mpod a lot. The screens of an Iphone, or Ipod Touch, are just too small for easy library browsing for me. I find the Ipad about as small a screen as I would want to go to for comfortable easy browsing, that's just me though.<br />

Either way, my comments hold true for the other devices as well besides the Ipad.<br />

<br />

<br />

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

but I simply wanted to point out that poster who complained about needing an iPad for Aurender, and then you said.."no, it;s the same for blah blah blah" is just not true. Aurender truly needs a physical iPad, period. Not an iphone, not an ipod, not a web-based GUI, not an Android. This wasn't about your preferences (mpod is a bit small, yes) it was about missing the point about iPad-only.

Thanks for setting me straight on that.<br />

If I was the target customer for the Aurender, I would not care about needing an Ipad, as it is the best device I know of for controlling these things (nice screen size, responsive touch interface).<br />

<br />

Of course, personally, I would not have this, and would not have a wifi network in my home. If I had something which needed control over network, I would have a wired laptop at my listening position. But that is just paranoid me...

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

Hi Chris,<br />

<br />

<br />

Maybe I then misunderstood what you wrote, <br />

but NAS support is essential..<br />

<br />

As far as I see it, the transport shall include 64GB SSD for the operating system and the cache, all the rest shall come via network<br />

<br />

I've seen few platforms that do not support NAS actually due to the large volume and enormous amount of tracks, resulting in poor performance if not properly engineered.<br />

<br />

<br />

--Michael<br />

<br />

Michael123,<br />

<br />

The iPad app is very slick and the response is near instantaneous. More ways to search for music than I need. The only things on my wish list are ways to edit metadata from the app and the ability to play internet radio. It would also be nice to change the background color of the app from brown to say...any other color.<br />

<br />

Amir

Aurender S10->Tara Labs AES/EBU->Eximus DP1->Smyth Realiser->Sennheiser HD800. Speaker system packed away until kids grow up.

Thanks for the response Michael. I don't consider a design decision to be "poorly written software." The software is written very well but excludes a feature you deem essential. There's not a single best solution for everyone.<br />

<br />

I wish NAS support was better, but it's currently an add-on type of feature that allows the user to get-by if needed. I think the vast majority of Aurender customers will have enough space in the S10 to fit their entire music collections on the 2TB or perhaps a 3TB drive. A 3TB drive fits about 4500 uncompressed FLAC albums. That said, I can't fit my collection on the S10 and would love a better solution.<br />

<br />

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

since you have the resources, to compare:<br />

<br />

Mac Players to each other versus C.A.P.S 2.0 versus the various servers.<br />

<br />

The reason I ask is because in reading your review of the Aurender, which I find an intriguing device and would consider buying had my interest somewhat tempered when you stated you slightly favored the C.A.P.S. 2.0 device and favored both the Aurender and C.A.P.S. 2.0 over the Mac.<br />

<br />

I have been using a Mini with Pure Music for the last 8 months, very "happy" until I tried Audirvana Plus which led me to also try Amarra, the latter transforming my system in a way I never thought possible. I would be curious what player you were using when you made the statement regarding the Mac compared to C.A.P.S. 2.0. From my perch, giving the price of most systems, the source of the material (ie C.A.P.S, Mini/Player, Server) is the least expensive component and I would hate to have it as my weakest link given how much I have invested.

I think the differences here may be in the interface... How was Chris using the CAPS, via USB and a SOtM USB card, perhaps? Versus SPDIF from the Aurender? My take is that if the DAC has a great async USB interface, then something (Sonore, Auraliti, custom Alix server, CAPS, etc) running an SOtM USB output card will have an advantage over a MacBook, or Mini, via their built in USB bus. So far, most reports have servers with the SOtM dedicated USB output card beating tweaked Macs...<br />

On the other hand, if the Aurender folks built a dedicated USB out model, with the same attention to detail as this one (dedicated USB card running on low noise power supply, shielded from the MoBo) it could be awesome with a great USB DAC.

SONORE computer audio

of us most interested in a USB solution, like myself, should consider the C.A.P.S. 2.0 solution.<br />

<br />

The reason I brought up the issue, is in my experience, particularly my recent experience shows a pretty significant difference in SQ among Mac players. With someone like myself, using a USB solution, I don't see the current Aurender as a viable option for me, however, when I see Chris make comments claiming a pretty significant difference between C.A.P.S and a Mac solution I wonder what player he was listening to on the Mac just for reference.<br />

<br />

I don't doubt his veracity, just looking for more info because if I can surpass what I am currently getting with my Mac Mini and Amarra by buying/building a C.A.P.S. 2.0 with J River, this a relatively cheap solution, particularly relative to a 7K server.

Yes... We are in the same boat. I am considering a PK90 or Sonore with the SOtM board for these same reasons. Plus, I am tired of all the Mac tweaks, and the varying sound quality with every change one makes... I really dislike Windows though, purpose built Linux seems to make sense...

SONORE computer audio

I am using a DAC 8 currently and it is either Windows or a Mac if I am going to go USB. Unfortunately Linux will not work as the drivers, according to all are "proprietary". <br />

<br />

If the C.A.P.S is significantly better than Amarra I am game. I am willing to go Windows if the SQ is that much better as Chris implies.

Priaptor,<br />

<br />

if you ever test a Windows machine, make sure this is Win7 SP1 with Jplay (player) and a much more powerfull machine than the CAPS v2.0 (to achieve the lowest possible latency).<br />

<br />

This is not exactly a user friendly player, but the release coming should appeal (more) to mac users ;)<br />

<br />

On pure SQ ground, I can't even think of anything that comes close (I have listened to both Amarra and JRiver), but I have not tested everything on our planet (granted) ;)<br />

<br />

Elp

Thanks for the advice.<br />

<br />

Last night I did some more tinkering, something I didn't really want to do, promising myself I would just sit back and enjoy. I still have a PS Audio Transport, decided to compare it to my three different players on my Mac Mini.<br />

<br />

While my best player is Amarra, none compared to the transport using AES/ABU. So, while the variables in my system include USB v. AES v. player v. player, one constant is that all of you guys who have used both Mac and Windows or Linux seem to claim better SQ with the latter two.<br />

<br />

If you are not using a C.A.P.S. 2.0 config, what are you using? I would still like to use it headless and have some experience with J River so am not turned off to it. What I don't want is a loud computer in my room. Any advice would be helpful.<br />

<br />

Thanks<br />

>>>much more powerfull machine than the CAPS v2.0<br />

Please define. Do you mean something like the cics MP? I like the CAPS because it is fanless and has low power consumption. I have read the opinions on CA regarding Jplay and it sounds quite worthy of a demo.

Roon ROCK (Roon 1.7; NUC7i3) > Ayre QB-9 Twenty > Ayre AX-5 Twenty > Thiel CS2.4SE (crossovers rebuilt with Clarity CSA and Multicap RTX caps, Mills MRA-12 resistors; ERSE and Jantzen coils; Cardas binding posts and hookup wire); Cardas and OEM power cables, interconnects, and speaker cables

Priaptor,<br />

<br />

If you have a mac mini, I guess it should have enough power to run Win7 SP1 with Jplay. Unless of course, this is a totally anemic one...<br />

<br />

What you would like to have is as much memory as you can fit in.<br />

Jplay will load all the playlist in memory before even starting to play (in hibernate mode for sure).<br />

<br />

JRiver is a fine player, should be up to Amarra (for my own experience with Amarra), but is nowhere near Jplay.<br />

Shit happens :)<br />

<br />

For my configuration, see below post.<br />

<br />

Cheers,<br />

Elp<br />

Hi Beetlemania,<br />

<br />

here is mine :<br />

-> Intel Core i3 2100 (SandyBridge).<br />

-> Corsair 8GB RAM.<br />

-> Intel SSD.<br />

-> Gygabite motherboard with (so called) military grade caps.<br />

-> Seasonic fanless 400w psu.<br />

-> Scythe Big Shuriken fan (for cpu), at half speed.<br />

-> SilverStone case (can't remember the exact ID).<br />

<br />

The pc is running headless, dead-silently.<br />

I have not tried the full passive option, for I was unsure about heat issues, but that said, the cpu hardly operates over 41°C with Jplay using Overdrive and Full-throttle modes.<br />

<br />

Power consumption : measured to 40W max at the wall outlet, so that's really no big deal. The dCS combo, for instance, pumps more than 60W on its own :)<br />

<br />

I'm considering having a dedicated linear psu for the thingee, but my external usb interface is powered by both a linear psu for the usb chipset and a battery for the rest of the internals.<br />

<br />

Sound is well... indescribable with Jplay, otherwise it's just good :)<br />

<br />

Elp

Sorry, my mistake about the MB.<br />

I selected this one : MSI H67MA-E45 (B3).<br />

I can't edit my post so here it is :)<br />

<br />

JRiver vs Jplay :<br />

Priaptor, I suggest you try both.<br />

JRiver is really a nice and slick (for windows users) application.<br />

Jplay is very minimalistic, but the sound is from another universe :)<br />

What's more, the version to come (this weekend if all is well) is going to appeal you more (I guess, I can't say more, or the people at Jplay will kill me).<br />

<br />

Elp<br />

<br />

PS : In case someone is asking, I have nothing to do with Jplay.<br />

It's just the best player I have used so far.

Interesting configuration.<br />

<br />

I am playing with Jplay right now on a test system (not hooked to my stereo).<br />

<br />

Thanks for the tips. Silverstone has many good looking cases. If you remember which one you used, would love to know.<br />

<br />

Meanwhile, I will see what they have next week and put together a trial computer for the system and play.<br />

<br />

Thanks again.

Their website says it works fine in conjunction with JRiver. Is this a preferred method? I am running Media Center 17 using the ASIO downloaded drivers from my Meitner DAC. Would the Jplay complement this setup? <br />

<br />

Thanks,<br />

Bob

Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not." — Nelson Pass

Some users of the DAC 8 have claimed that the USB interface is not that good, and have achieved better SQ using an external USB-SPDIF converter. Have you tried a Wavelink, BADA USB, or, perhaps Audiophileo? The difference vs. the PS Audio PerfectWave Transport might be done to the limitations of the DAC 8's USB input: this might not have anything to do with Mac/Ammarra...

SONORE computer audio