IGNORED

Article: Aurender S10 Music Server Review

pretty much my opinion about the Debussy and I was listening to the upgraded one.<br />

<br />

Maybe my ears are just getting old, but while I can't say I enjoy the "tubey" sound of old Quicksilvers or the old CJ stuff, I do enjoy a "detailed" tube sound that ARC gives.<br />

<br />

I think once people start getting their hands on their new REF 250 amps, there will be some lovefeasts. <br />

<br />

<br />

<br />

Hi Priaptor,<br />

<br />

Just before I left on a 2 week vacation in Aussie Land, I had the Aurender hooked up to the ARC DAC 8 on a whim. I thought the combo sounded really good. Prior to this, I was trying out the Aurender with the AMR DP777. The DAC8 was hooked up to a Mach2music on Amarra Mini via USB. I was under the impression the Aurender + dac8 sounded better. I will investigated further when I get back. Will also compare this combo with my reference for the moment : Mach2music mini + Amarra + Empirical Audio offramp 4 + Reimyo dap999 DAC.<br />

<br />

I too am using a predominantly ARC system. ARC ref40 + ref110 (for some reason the ref 210 didn't float my boat). <br />

<br />

Regards,<br />

Joe Ling

Digital Source : DCS Vivaldi 4 stack + Antelope 10M Reference clock. (APEX in progress)

Analog Source : AVID ACUTUS SP + FR64S + Koetsu Blue Azule + ARC Ref 10 phono

Analog Source : TECHDAS AF3 + FR66S + Koetsu Blue Lace, Groove Master III + Phasemation PP2000, Glanz 10" + DS Audio Grandmaster

Phono : ARC ref 10 + DS Audio Master 1

Amp : Naim Statement

Speakers : Focal Stella Utopia

I look forward to your findings.<br />

<br />

Check out their new REF250s. Those will not only float but sail your boat.<br />

<br />

I had a similar experience. I listened to the REF210s, wasn't that enamored with them and in fact, purchased the McIntosh MC2301s instead. When the REF150 came out I saw it was a completely different beast and when the REF250s it was a love at first sight. Luckily the McIntosh hold their value. I lost very little on them.<br />

<br />

If you can borrow a REF150, I think it may be the best value for the $$<br />

<br />

Again, please let me know your findings.

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds nice. The problem I am having with computer audio servers is in every version available, I need to recruit another source to make the system complete. Here I will need to rely on my Mac and XLD and no means of a convenient back. I like keeping cost down via the iPad app, but that is far as I am willing to go. <br />

<br />

Three years ago computer audiophile was being ignored. Now it is the golden- haired child. I believe that we will see some company bring a more inclusive system to market worthy of $$30K in amps and speakers.<br />

<br />

Until then, I will wait on the side lines with my Mac mini, XLD, Amarra and QB-9.<br />

<br />

Merry Christmas everyone!<br />

<br />

<br />

\"A prudent question is one-half of wisdom.\"[br] -Francis Bacon

Starting from scratch... was gonna buy a laptop Windows 7 PC and a Synology DS411slim NAS, rip 3000 CDs, rip 8000+ individual tracks from other CDs, download 1000+ FLAC files from various record companies, This was when I was gonna make a C.A.P.S v2.0 server.<br />

<br />

After reading the review, I'd like to get an iPad, an Aurender S10 (w/3TB storage), and use my PowerBook G4 running XLD and Carbon Copy Cloner with a 3TB external HD, for ripping instead. I'd wait to buy or borrow a PC until I felt the need to rip Blu-ray discs. <br />

<br />

The iPad based GUI of the S10 has me sold. But... How well does the Aurender S10 handle one or two tracks ripped from an typical CD? The video of Chris flipping through his library seems to show entire CDs have been ripped. Can I rip CDs from a Mac and Blu-rays from a PC onto the drive to be cloned?<br />

<br />

Does this plan seem workable? Pros/Cons?

JC - Boulder, CO

Ok back to work. While the Aurender + dac8 sounded quite nice, the Aurender + Reimyo sounded just a tad more right. Back to the drawing board. This is only a halfway solution as the Reimyo cannot do hi res. <br />

<br />

Will get a Debussy soon. Let's see how that goes...<br />

<br />

Happy New Year all

Digital Source : DCS Vivaldi 4 stack + Antelope 10M Reference clock. (APEX in progress)

Analog Source : AVID ACUTUS SP + FR64S + Koetsu Blue Azule + ARC Ref 10 phono

Analog Source : TECHDAS AF3 + FR66S + Koetsu Blue Lace, Groove Master III + Phasemation PP2000, Glanz 10" + DS Audio Grandmaster

Phono : ARC ref 10 + DS Audio Master 1

Amp : Naim Statement

Speakers : Focal Stella Utopia

Hi Chris, just joined the forum and wish to ask a quick question: I own an Aurender S10 and I'm looking for a super Dac that can match it. Can you recommend a few options?<br />

I read allot about weiss 202. Is it really that good? Would it be a good match for the aurender.<br />

Thanks for your support, and btw, great site. Congrats.<br />

Regards, Steven<br />

Steven

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A recliner chair is home furniture that is very comfortable and<br />

relaxing to sit on. Many people like to have one in their homes<br />

because it helps them take quick, rejuvenating breaks from the <br />

daily grind. More than anything else, people want to have total<br />

comfort when they sit on a couch, while enjoying their favorite<br />

movies or simply while surfing channels.Recliner chairs also come<br />

in very trendy designs and therefore do wonders for the interiors<br />

of homes.<br />

<br />

<br />

<br />

<br />

<br />

<a href="http://reclinerchair.us/">Recliner Chair</a>

Because the Aurender does offer USB Class 2 Audio, it is entirely possible that a future software update could include both 32/352.8-384 PCM compatibility and DSD compatibility. Actually I would be surprised if the Aureneder folks are not working on this already. I think it would really benefit Aurender to make a USB specific model, with a trick dedicated USB output card which offerred PCM up to 32/384 and DSD playback capability-I suspect there could be a lot of potential Aurender/Playback Designs, and Aurender/dCS customers out there who would love a unit like that.<br />

Of course, the SPDIF interface is not capable of DSD or PCM rates above 24/192.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

Just had a chance to compare Aurender to Bryston BDP-1 in my system. <br />

<br />

Aurender sounds noticably better than the Bryston - less grain, more transparency and resolution. <br />

<br />

With Aurender you get better sound quality, no noise when playing files (memory play from SSD vs spinning HDD in Bryston), much better fit & finish, true one box solution (Bryston requires external HDD, which in turn requires its own PSU and USB cable) and superior user interface.<br />

<br />

In a way - you get what you have paid for, as Aurender is 3x more expensive than Bryston. <br />

<br />

Having said that, my new PC server running the RME AES/EBU card and J River 17/Jplay sounds even better than Aurender, giving more full bodied sound, and costed me 'only' $3500 to build. <br />

<br />

Having said that, Aurender still tops my PC server it in terms of looks, fit & finish, beeing a true zero noise solution, and user interface.

Adam

PC: custom Roon server with Pink Faun Ultra OCXO USB card

Digital: Lampizator Horizon DAC

Amp: Dan D'Agostino Momentum Stereo

Speakers: Magcio M3

• 2 months later...

Am I the only one who would like Chris to properly review the USB output of the Aurender? Is there going to be a follow-up to this review?<br />

<br />

As far as I can tell, the differences between the A10 and the S10 are largely irrelevant so far as USB output is concerned so that would make the Aurender (the A10 model) a tad easier to swallow. <br />

<br />

That said, it does seem disappointing that there is no dedicated USB only model, with more attention placed on the USB output, for Aurender. As far as I can tell, if one can marry the SoTM's attention to the USB output with the Aurender's superior app interface and fit and finish, there would be very many enthusiastic audiophiles who would be keen to audition such a product. I know I would.

Your post echoes my thoughts. Aurender could launch a new, stripped down model with no SPDIF card and no LPSU feeding it, as there is no use for them when using USB out. With USB DACs getting more and more common these days, I can imagine most of Aurender users would stick to USB out exclusively.<br />

<br />

There has been a very insightful 6 pages long Aurender S10 review in Polish Audio Video magazine, where the reviewer reported MUCH improved sonics when using USB out instead of SPDIF outs.<br />

<br />

He also reported Aurender sounding much better than his Mac via USB out.<br />

<br />

S10 was tested with the new Meitner MA-1 DAC.

Adam

with this sentiment:<br />

<br />

"Your post echoes my thoughts. Aurender could launch a new, stripped down model with no SPDIF card and no LPSU feeding it, as there is no use for them when using USB out. With USB DACs getting more and more common these days, I can imagine most of Aurender users would stick to USB out exclusively."<br />

<br />

If Aurender was to make a model which specifically tried to provide the best possible performance via USB, it would have to be just as sophisticated and expensive as the SPDIF optimized version. My experience with a USB out server has shown that attention to the details matters: the best way for them to do USB would be to develop a USB output card (similar to SOtM) with the same attention to detail as they put into their SPDIF card, and then power it with the same low noise linear supply which they now use for their SPDIF card.<br />

My custom server definitely sounds better with an SOtM USB card, and an isolated linear supply feeding the card-If Aurender was to make a USB version, I feel this is the direction they should go, as a no compromise solution.<br />

<br />

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

A question for Chris, or anyone who might have some knowledge and experience.<br />

<br />

I would like to give my daughter the Aurender S10 Music Server as a college graduation present this June. She is currently using a 2010 MacBook Pro connected to the USB DAC input on an Ayre DX-5 Universal A/V player. The Ayre USB DAC circuit is basically their QB-9, but enhanced. Ayre uses Streamlength asynchronous USB transfer mode software licensed from Wavelength Audio, an Ayre USB converter generates a fixed-frequency master audio clock and sends or requests the audio data to or from the computer at the correct time for jitter-free playback of your music, the USB converter is in control and provides the critical master audio clock.<br />

<br />

So, my question is, can the Aurender S10 easily connect to the USB port on the Ayre DX-5 to deliver up to 24 bit/192 kHz? If not, should I consider including a separate DAC?<br />

<br />

Thanks for any advice.<br />

The answer is yes. But, even better performance is likely to be realized with the device Chris is hinting at below.<br />

I suspect that what he is hinting at is that Aurender is working on a USB specific model of their server, with a highly optimized USB output. If you can wait, this option will likely be worth the wait.<br />

Alternatively, the SOtM server Chris has recently reviewed would be a great choice with its internal SOtM dedicated USB output card.

SONORE computer audio

It seems that they are not only working on USB only model, but also on a top of the range one, with a dual AES outs and clock input, code name W10. Both should be announced at Munich show next week.

Adam