IGNORED

Article: Aurender S10 Music Server Review

If a $1500 CAPS is it's sonic equal, then I'd never spend another $5500 for the Aurender. Just can't justify the outlay. Could get a BADA DAC for that.<br />

<br />

The other comparison I'd like to hear is to the Sonore Signature server. Any chance you'll be reviewing one, Chris?<br />

<br />

But the review was interesting and I do like the audiophile hardware approach and the SSD based memory play setup.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protectors +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Protection>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three BXT (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Edifer M1380 system.

Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Chris,<br />

<br />

Thanks for this great review. I am one of the guys delaying a possible purchase untill I am convinced that a server can at least equal the quality of my SACD/DAC combination. The S10 may very well change that.<br />

<br />

I have one remaining question though. You compared the sound quality of the AES and TosLink output. At the beginning of the review you briefly discussed the soud quality of the new USB output as well. Can you say a little bit more about the differences in sound quality between the S10 feeding the Berkeley DAC directly from its AES output and the S10 feeding the Berkeley USB first (and then the DAC)?<br />

<br />

Also, have you tried the RCA output as well?<br />

<br />

Thanks!

Hi badwisdom - I agree that people may let gear design affect their perceptions of sound quality. It's part of being human. On the other hand aesthetics and build quality are important to many of us in addition to sound quality. When reviewing a component I consider sound quality and aesthetics as two completely separate items that don't influence each other but do influence my opinion of a product as a whole. I have no problem enjoying both sound quality and aesthetics. <br />

<br />

I disagree with your suggestion there is <I>"no logical reason for an Aurender to deliver better sound than a Macbook Air (full SSD) with a USB out."</I> The CA forum is full of very logical and solid engineering reasons why these two computers produce different sound quality. It appears even from your own suggestion that you believe an SSD affects sonics. If this is the case it should logically follow that other items have an affect as well. <br />

<br />

As this article is about the Aurender S10 specifically I don't want to consume the comments section with posts about theories or general speculation about what affects sound quality. There are many discussions in the forum dedicated to such topics. <br />

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

I know when you released the CAPS 2.0 build specs, you felt Linux wasn't quite ready for use as the OS. Has your opinion changed based on the S10's use of it? I'm planning a build and wondering if Windows is still the way to go. <br />

<br />

Thx for the great review.

C.A.P.S. v2.0 w/ SOTM USB card and J River 17 > Modwright LS100 w DAC upgrade > Modwright KWA 100SE> Vienna Acoustics Beethoven Concert Grands

I'm guessing a little here; but I think Chris's objections to Linux is more that it's tricky to setup than anything. There are several threads about Voyager MPD; PuppyMPD and Vortexbox distributions as well as more general distributions. <br />

<br />

I think you need some technical knowledge to set up Linux well. <br />

<br />

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

I realize that NAS, currently (or maybe forever via Aurender) is not a good option, mostly having to do with metadata. However, did you (or can you) spend a few minutes comparing the same song via internal hdd-ssd to direct NAS playback? I am wondering if there is a difference; I would assume "no" due to Aurender's copy-to-SSD approach, regardless. Also, has Widealab mentioned anything about possible DSD support (seems MPD has inferred that it's possible via Linux).<br />

<br />

I also echo the comments that, if one is confident enough (I built an Alix and now have a PK90USb) that a SOtM-based Linux or CAPS server (at a small fraction of the price) can match or even exceed sonics then the $7k price tag seems a bit of of line. I realize build quality, iPad apps and aesthetics are worth something, but not enough in my estimation. I could be missing some issues, though.<br />

<br />

Thanks<br />

Ted

I'd love to hear how your PK90 is faring as compared to you Alix. If not here, on the Auraliti thread.<br />

<br />

Sorry for the off topic post...

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

I was eagerly awaiting Chris's review to hear that there was a revolutionary improvement in sound, but given that it sounds like he prefers his C.A.P.S. V2.0 via USB more than Aurender via XLR, it is very difficult to justify spending an additional 5.5K, particularly in this economy.

thanks for detailed and honest review (as per usual). I think it is clear that Aurender has gone the extra mile (or maybe many miles) to address some of the weaknesses of competing products. Most notably, that they use a custom built output card to produce the SPDIF output-this should be emphasized: computer based sound cards (except, perhaps Mykernos) are compromised designs, built to rahter strict price points, and tend to be "jack of all trades and master of none". The fact that Aurender went to trouble to engineer their own dedicated, two channel, SPDIF interface board shows that they are very serious about achieving the best playback quality possible for SPDIF input DACs. Additionally, the onboard linear power supply is another plus-I hate the added complexity and wiring that outboard supplies require: more boxes, and wires, yuk. A well shielded internal supply, as is the case here, has no compromises, and results in a much cleaner design.<br />

Clearly this design is for folks with SPDIF DACs, it would not make much sense for those using good async USB DACs to use the Aurender, unless they just really like the form factor and the control interface a lot. Hopefully, Aurender will see the value in producing a dedicated USB out variant, replacing the SPDIF output card with an equally well designed and implemented, dedicated USB output card.<br />

As to the price, from what I can see in the photos, and considering the amount of R & D for both hardware and software that has gone into this unit, the price is completely reasonable. This is a case of you get what you pay for: consider, say you own a BADA DAC, choose between: Aurender, or, a BADA USB box, an appropriate Mac computer, a high end USB cable, an internal SSD for your Mac, maxing out the RAM in the Mac, a copy of Ammarra, and an external HD to hold your music. Do the math. I think you might find that the Aurender will both outperform the Mac based set up, with only one box, vs 3 plus power supplies, at a somewhat higher cost for a much more elegant solution.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

be primarily performance. All that custom SPDIF work, as you mentioned, and it still sounds less stellar than a $1200 CAPS V2 (or god forbid, maybe even a $600 SOtM -based Auraliti)? If you already have a BADA DAC, you buy the best USB implementation you can (let's say Berkeley, to follow your math) and you still have $4k left over to buy a CAPS V2 server and $3k of music! I'd use MAC as an example but your math points out it's expensive, once completed. :)<br />

<br />

I'm not trying to be a contrarian, just saying the math choices are like statistics, you can use them to prove any point. My point: we have proven better sonic solutions that are pretty much plug n play, don't require consistent tweaks (unlike some MAC or DIY Linux) and are reported by Chris and others to be of good quality. The music server market is still in its infancy, and it is exciting to be able to pick horses to run with. Some will falter, some will come out of the pack. I just don't see the value prop for a Widealabs at this time, but I may be blinded by the price of their intro audiophile product. The price seems to be related to build quality, ipad app, and significant R&D sunk into an SPDIF interface that still doesn't beat a $300 SOtM card. And Korean-based Widealabs is not a brand I'd (yet) put up there with dCS, Burmester and others...to justify the brand-added value. My $.02.

My comments were specifically for the audiophile who owns an SPDIF only DAC to which they are wedded. I am very confident that the Aurender will easily outperform the SPDIF output of any other server of which I am aware.<br />

<br />

Certainly, if uses an async USB DAC, that is entirely another story.<br />

<br />

But there does appear to be more value here than at first glance. Besides the sound quality, there is an easy to navigate user interface, which appears to equal or better anything else anywhere-this matters to a lot of people. Also, the single box form factor, without the need for all kinds of external supplies, with their attendant wiring running all over the place will add a lot of value to some audiophiles. Not everyone wants a tweaky system, which looks like some kind of laboratory experiemnt gone horribly wrong. When one considers the competition, like Sooloos for instance, the price looks very reasonable.<br />

<br />

My preference, personally, would be for a really good USB DAC, and a really good file server (a la PK-90, but please, get rid of the stupid external supply, and build in a good linear supply) as this gets rid of the compromised SPDIF interface, but there are many user unfriendly things about the MPD based devices, you and I may not find these to be drawbacks, but there are plenty of users out there who can afford the Aurender easily, and will appreciate the ease of use, the more elegant form factor, and the sound quality.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

<em> "My comments were specifically for the audiophile who owns an SPDIF only DAC to which they are wedded." </em><br />

<br />

That's why I went through the math, etc (use Berkeley USB, etc)<br />

<br />

BTW, "wedded to an SPDIF DAC"? For the person dropping $7k on a music player I'm sure they and their lawyers have worked up a pre-nup that includes the words "Audiogon, due to irreconcilable differences".

The S10 makes a solid foundation and marvel at the proprietory components and design. I looked at the Aurender brochure a while ago, and believe that future models such as S30 (I2S connection) and R10 (SPDIF + word clock) can surpass CAPS V2 performance.

<br />

<br />

I picked up my Aurender S10 a few weeks ago. It replaced a Macbook Pro running Decibel, connected with a Wireworld USB cable to the dac, which is April Music's Eximus DP-1. Comparing the two, The Aurender connected with a AES/EBU cable to the same dac, has more body, a smoother sound and more frequency extension. Bass also seems tighter. The difference is very noticeable. The soundstage has more depth, but about the same width. The experience is made much more effortless by the iPad app, which is joy to use.<br />

<br />

It is a wonderful machine, but I would have been much happier with it if the price had been couple of thousand dollars less. In spite this fly in the ointment, I have no plans for divorcing it and handing it over to Audiogon.<br />

<br />

Amir

Aurender S10->Tara Labs AES/EBU->Eximus DP1->Smyth Realiser->Sennheiser HD800. Speaker system packed away until kids grow up.

Priaptor,<br />

<br />

I don't lie to my wife. I do however indulge in creative dissembling where audio equipment is concerned :)<br />

<br />

Amir

Aurender S10->Tara Labs AES/EBU->Eximus DP1->Smyth Realiser->Sennheiser HD800. Speaker system packed away until kids grow up.

"In fact the more rapid the turnover of equipment the more they become desensitized to even caring."<br />

<br />

Classic!<br />

<br />

SONORE computer audio