IGNORED

Article: C.A.P.S. v2.0

Hi there, I am aware the data lines on the SATA filter are unaffected by the filter as per the circuit diagram. The delay could and probably is due to the WeibeTech, but actually the most likely reason is something to do with me!

Trying to make sense of all the bits...MacMini/Amarra -> WavIO USB to I2S -> DDDAC 1794 NOS DAC -> Active XO ->Bass Amp Avondale NCC200s, Mid/Treble Amp Sugden Masterclass -> My Own Speakers

As I'm about to build a CAPs like server soon, I also am curious about the SOTM USB PCI card as well, if a device like the new Berkeley USB device is used. I currently have a Berkeley DAC, and will consider the Berkeley USB to AES converter to connect to my new music server. <br />

<br />

Chris, since I believe you plan to test a Berkeley USB soon - would you consider the following test on your CAPS 2 server? Try back to back listening with the Berkeley USB plugged into the sotm usb card, and then with the Berkeley USB plugged into one of the standard Jetway USB ports.<br />

<br />

I'd be curious to know if the Berkeley USB eliminates the need for the SOTM USB card

out: Windows 7 > jriver mc14 > asio4all > Lynx AES16e > Redco custom Gotham AES/EBU cable (70ft) > Antelope DA Clock > Harmonic Technologies Magic Digital 1 AES/EBU cable > Berkeley Alpha DAC > AudioQuest Cheetah RCA interconnects > NuForce Ref 9 v2 SE amps > Nordost Red Dawn II speaker cables > Magnepan 3.6R speakers.[br]vinyl in: Lucid AD9624 > Redco custom Gotham AES/EBU cable > Lynx AES16e > Windows 7 > Goldwave

I've finished building my CAPS V2 server. When I set up the motherboard I didn't install any drivers for the onboard audio. I also disabled onboard audio in BIOS. At the time, this made sense since I had no intention of using any onboard sound. But in reading different comments through these forums, in particular Chris's post about configuring Windows 7 and J River, http://www.computeraudiophile.com/content/Windows-7-Audio-J-River-Media-Center-14-Configuration<br />

it looks like others are leaving onboard audio on. <br />

My question then is, is it better to have onboard audio installed and enabled or to not install it as I've done? Or, install it but then disable it in BIOS?<br />

All comments or suggestions appreciated.<br />

<br />

Thanks,<br />

<br />

Bill

Maybe it's a good idea to have at least two audio cards in the system. The 'default' audio for windows, this is where Windows sends all sound to. And the second sound card, where only your desired mediaplayer sends its soundstream to.<br />

But it depends on the mediaplayer you want to use, some only support the default soundcard.<br />

E.g. JRMC supports selecting a specific soundcard.<br />

<br />

Enjoy listening,<br />

Bernhard

I've had my CAPS V2 build working for the last week or so. I used an Intel D525MW motherboard in place of the Jetway because I was unable to find the Jetway in Canada. For power I used a 90W PicoPSU. I used an Apex MI-008 case in place of the case Chris recommends. I removed the included power supply since I'm using the PicoPSU. I'm using the SOtM PCI to USB card, the SOtM SATA filter and the SOtM dX-USB-HD USB to SPDIF converter. I'm running the SPDIF digital coax into a Bryston BP25DA (preamp with built in DAC).<br />

I'm very happy with sound quality I'm getting from this setup. Previous to this I was using a Squeezebox Touch into the Bryston and I thought that was pretty impressive. I find the CAPS V2 to be a significant improvement. Just to give some perspective, my 82 year old mother was over on the weekend. I always have music playing when she's here. She said as soon as she came in the door, she was able to tell something was improved. She commented different times during the day about how "nice" the music sounded. At one point she said "that piano sounds like it's right in the room". She has never commented on the music all the times she's visited previously.<br />

Now on to what has been a very interesting and educational experience. I purchased a used Synergistic Tricon USB cable. Since last Thursday I've been trying it out. As soon as I replaced the stock USB cable with the Synergistic cable, I started hearing random clicks during playback. Maybe 2 or 3 per song. I did all the Windows optimisations, buffer adjustments, different audio modes (ASIO, WASAPI, Kernel Streaming) and nothing helped. Put the generic cable back in, perfect playback. <br />

I contacted Jesus at Sonore, who I purchased the SOtM products from and within a day I had a new firmware version to try in the USB/SPDIF converter. It didn't help but I was very impressed by the support.<br />

SOtM suggested trying different configurations with connecting the Synergistic and stock cables.<br />

The stock cable and another generic cable I had worked perfectly in all scenarios. When I connected the Synergistic cable to the motherboard USB port, bypassing the SOtM PCI to USB card, the clicking became almost constant during playback, compared to the 2 or 3 clicks per song when connected to the SOtM card. I reconnected to the SOtM card, back to 2 or 3 random clicks per song. I tried this a couple more times and exactly the same.<br />

I think this is a great indication of how well the SOtM tX-USB card is working. To hear how much it was able to clean up and compensate for the clicks I was hearing when playing back from motherboard USB was very impressive indeed.<br />

As far as the Synergistic cable goes, I was very disapointed that I wasn't able to get it working in my system. There's either a compatibility problem with my system (which I find hard to believe) or this particular cable has something wrong with it. I'll be returning it for a refund.<br />

<br />

Bill

Hi Chris,<br />

<br />

I'm more than happy to share my experiences during this build. Thank you so much for all the information you provided to allow me to even consider doing this. I've really enjoyed the entire experience of getting this up and running. The end result has been more than worth it.<br />

I actually contacted Synergistic to see if they had any ideas regarding my problem. I was impressed by how fast they responded, especially when I made it clear this was a used cable. Here's the main part of their response:<br />

<br />

"Since the cable in question is coming from a second party we cannot offer anything other than the Tricon USB is a world class Digital signal cable. We have never experienced this problem before, however the cable was designed to go USB direct. I suspect there is something in the conversion to SPDIF."<br />

<br />

I have no idea if it does meet the USB specifications. There is very little technical information available on it, at least from what I could find. It sure seems to be a well regarded cable though.<br />

<br />

Bill<br />

<br />

<i>"...the cable was designed to go USB direct. I suspect there is something in the conversion to SPDIF."</i><br />

<br />

<br />

A USB cable that meets USB specifications will have no trouble connecting from one USB port to another without errors (Please don't mistake this comment to mean all USB spec'd cables are the same). It doesn't matter in the least that after the USB termination you are converting to S/PDIF.<br />

<br />

I wonder what will happen if you connect a USB hard drive using this cable. You may not notice a difference because the data transfer will keep retrying if data doesn't make it from A to B. May be interesting though. <br />

<br />

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

To anyone who is building the CAPS 2.0 server using the Jetway motherboard. I have all the parts for the CAPS 2.0 build and started putting it together last night. All went well apart from trying to figure out where to take the power from for the above board. I used the recommended Molex to SATA converter but not sure what cable I need or where it plugs into.<br />

<br />

Thanks<br />

Colin

Hi All,<br />

<br />

I'm also building my CAPS V2... and I have 2 questions:<br />

- I'm a little disappointed to see that the front panel+IR of the M10 is not compatible with the motherboard... Is it really impossible to find a solution?<br />

- How do you manage the CAPS (shutdown/starting of Win7, etc)? Via remote desktop? I don't want to keep it running 24h/24h...<br />

<br />

Thank you for your help!!!

Thanks Chris, should have realized that, however I've plugged in my 12v power supply and......nothing. No output to my monitor. Trying to figure out the jumpers and whether anything needs to be changed. Plugging in my external DVD drive shows it is receiving no power, so maybe it is a jumper setting....hopefully.<br />

<br />

Colin

Hi,<br />

<br />

For those who want to use the built-in front panel and IR of the M10 computer case, the following motherboard is fully compliant with Origen M10 :<br />

<br />

Jetway NF99FL-525<br />

<br />

Except the fact that:<br />

- there is no eSATA port<br />

- the memory used is SO-DIMM DDR3 1333<br />

this mobo has very closed specifications as the original one proposed by Chris.<br />

<br />

You have to connect the mobo to the built-in 24-pin ATX connector of the M10.

Are people using any kind of UPS backup with these types of servers? I'm wondering if there would be any kind of effect on sound quality by running the server through a UPS. In the 2 weeks I've had my CAPS V2 running, I've already had a couple shutdowns due to power outages. Any comments are appreciated.<br />

Thanks.<br />

<br />

Bill

--> Satbox (and others) - <br />

<br />

I also have been intrigued by the idea of a MB that would use the built in front panel of the M10 case. Part of me says if I am paying for it and its there, it would be a more elegant design to use it.<br />

<br />

Question - What would show up on the screen if you were running W7 and say JRiver with it? Would anything show up on the screen or would you need a specific application programmed to take advantage of it?<br />

<br />

I think a bigger part of me says Chris' design is more elegant because it is probably quieter and doesn't have any lights distracting me when I am listening to music...<br />

<br />

--> And Chris THANKS for the sweet design and all of the work you put into it!<br />

<br />

Randy<br />

<br />

<br />

edit: Regarding startup / shutdown. On my CAPS1 I use a USB keyboard to type in my password (required to use remote desktop) for startup. Shutting down I use a USB mouse and a screen. I unplug/shutoff those items for normal use and operate via Remote Desktop. I leave the CAPS1 running 24/7 so I can play music on short notice.<br />

<br />

The world is but one country, and mankind its citizens.

Living Room: Caps2/JRiver 19/Fidelizer > Wireworld Platinum USB > Calyx DAC/KingRex PSU > Kimber Heroes > Bryston BP-26/4B-SST > Kimber 8TC > B&W 802D.

Den: CAPS3 Carbon/SOtM USB/JRiver 20/Fidelizer/Uptone JS-2 power supply>Totaldac USB > Off Ramp5/Dynamo PS/Short Block via I2S > PS Audio Silver HDMI > W4S Dac2DSDse/femto upgrade > Triode Wire Labs IC > Bryston B100-SST > Kimber 8VS > B&W SCMS. (Triode Wire Labs power cables).

HELP!<br />

<br />

I too am assembling the server. Can someone advise me (us) on how to connect the power switch from the front of the Origen case? There are two black wires with two connectors each containing a red and black wire with a two female prong connector terminating. It looks like they connect to the MoBo, however can someone illustrate (via Macro photo perhaps) where on the MoBo to connect these? I'm wondereing if this isn't Colin's problem as it's not entirely clear from Chris's photos or from the MoBo manuel. Thanks kindly in advance for your help. And thank you Chris for all your hard work. This is an amazing website!

I got my case tonight and installed the motherboard in it. I applied power and have a green light on the motherboard but no output to my monitor. The MB comes with a cable bundle with a SATA power cable which splits into two, one which goes to the SSD and the other I will use for the SoTM USB board. There is also a 4 pin connector in this bundle that I connected to the MB at the bottom left corner next to the memory sticks. Not sure if this is right. I also connected one SATA data cable from the MB to the SSD. None of my USB ports are working either as I have no power to my USB DVD drive. Help!<br />

<br />

Colin

Hi RL - Feel free to ask other site members if they would build one for you. Otherwise go to any local computer shop and you should be able to hire them to assemble the parts for you. Point them to this article and that's all they'll need.<br />

<br />

Hypothetically if you were near the Southpark Shopping Center in Colorado you could call a place like Your PC Aid (http://yourpcaid.com/) to see if they'll take care of you. According to the website they'll build a custom machine for you :~)<br />

<br />

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Is there any easy modification to allow this CAPS v2 to act as a server for video too? Would seem to make sense rather than having 2 separate units. I'm just thinking something to play AVI or DVDs that are stored on the NAS, and output to a TV.<br />

<br />

Thanks!<br />

<br />

PS - there's a market here for you to assemble & ship CAPSv2 servers Chris! <br />

<br />

PPS- how long to this CAPSv3 that you insinuated about?

There are 2 types of people in this world - those who understand binary and those who don't.