IGNORED

Article: C.A.P.S. v2.0

that could work, but there aren't how to guides around here for it and you will need to setup and configure everything. I would try this http://vortexbox.org/documentation/vortexbox-quick-install-guide/ instead because it's simple to get music out of it compared to other solutions. Plus it rips cds and dvds and dvd-audio disks automatically;) When you have it running I can log in and help you if needed. You may want to start a new thread though. If you do e-mail me the link to [email protected]<br />

<br />

Jesus R<br />

www.sonore.us

This may be a stupid question but what are the options for controlling the server? I've ordered the parts to build the server but I have no idea how I will be controlling playback. <br />

<br />

My initial thought is to use Remote Desktop Connection in Windows and control it from another computer while I'm getting used to how everything works. I was thinking of ending up with an Ipod Touch or IPad eventually. I see this motherboard has no built in wireless capability. Is this correct? If correct, then how would I connect the Ipod/Ipad for wireless control of the server? Would I have to install a wireless card in the server? Wireless through router?<br />

<br />

As you can see, I'm pretty clueless on this. I currently use a Squeezebox Touch with a Duet controller which has been great. I would like to end up with the same or better level of control for my CAPS 2 build.<br />

<br />

Any suggestions will be much appreciated.<br />

<br />

Bill

Bill<br />

<br />

I think you only need to add a WiFi card, or have the server plugged into a wireless router. I believe an iPad, for example, can see either. Chris, did not add a WiFi Card to the design.<br />

<br />

I would like to know if what I'm saying is correct, because I had been wondering the same thing.<br />

<br />

Kenny

I'm not a big fan of wifi on a music server. The wifi modules use lots of power and give off a bunch of heat. You can also guess if it's good for the sound or not. <br />

<br />

Based on the build components you are going to need a spare internal or external optical drive to load the OS. There is an option on most mother boards to load the OS via the network, but I have never tried it.<br />

<br />

Controlling the unit from a second player with a remote desktop application will add additional cpu load on the player. You will have to try this to see how it works for you. Back in my Windows days I used the RiverMote app on my iTouch and that worked very well.<br />

<br />

I'm not aware of an automatic way to rip cds on Windows....your going to have to click some buttons:)<br />

<br />

AudioDoctor, you can reach me at [email protected]<br />

<br />

Jesus R<br />

www.sonore.us

Windows- the simple answer is with an external DVD drive. There are ways to do it without an external drive, but they are sort of complicated and geeky.<br />

<br />

Ripping- once external drive is installed your ripping software should recognize it. Some software requires you to "optimize" settings for your cd/dvd drive, others don't. <br />

<br />

Wireless: you can control the sever using a wireless device such as an ipod Touch or iPad as long as you have a wireless router. The server itself doesn't need a wireless card, as long as it is connected by ethernet to the wireless router.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Thanks kennythekey and firedog. <br />

<br />

Is there a consensus now on what is the best method to use an IPod touch or IPad to control J River? In reading about the different products it seems all of them leave something to be desired. At this point I've come up with Bitremote and Webremote as the two that appear to be the best. Any comments or suggestions on what others would recommend?<br />

<br />

Sorry if this is getting too far off topic. Please let me know if this should be a new topic (although I do think this is directly related to CAPS 2).<br />

<br />

Bill

Thanks Firedog and everyone else for removing some haze.<br />

<br />

An external OD simplifies the install and prevents additional resources from impacting the original design and perhaps sound quality.<br />

<br />

There's still a little haze left regarding the external hard drive. From Chris' description the Motherboard has an eSATA Port. So, use this port for an eSATA hard drive, and use either the USB from the SOtM-USB card or substitute a Firewire card to go to the DAC?<br />

<br />

If I've gotten this right, can anyone recommend a good eSATA hard drive and cable for this project?<br />

<br />

Kenny

I use a ZOTAC ION ITX-F Atom 330 mainboard. Win 7 and JRMC16 is installed. The audio files are stored locally.<br />

<br />

@ Jesus R: I need network access and I can tell you, it improves the sound, when I use wifi and disconnect the network cable!<br />

<br />

I think, some ground noise reaches the pc over this network cable. I also have the audio-pc connected to a power filter block via a good power cable - this helps a lot. The D/A converter is connected to the same filter and the amp too - in a star-shaped mass design. And I've checked the polarity of all the power cords.<br />

<br />

You can loose some SQ here.<br />

<br />

Enjoy listening,<br />

Bernhard

you need to conduct some additional tests. What does it sound like when you remove the wifi module all together in addition to the ethernet cable. What does it sound like when you add one component back in at a time?? <br />

<br />

It was my understanding that ethernet was isolated, but I have not researched this at all. This may be the reason Chris used an attached storage device and did not get into ripping. In his configuration the unit would be isolated except for the power. You could try an optical isolation device for the ethernet if it really concerns you. <br />

<br />

Jesus R<br />

www.sonore.us

Hi Guys,<br />

First-time poster. I am wondering if this machine can be used to rip cds with dbPowerAmp. If so, what external drive would you guys recommend. In my research, Plextor seems to be the one that everyone loves for ripping cds. Thanks.<br />

<br />

Dan

Hi Jesus R,<br />

<br />

I never removed the wifi card from the mainboard.<br />

What I mean: The cable connection degrades the sound, even if there is no traffic over this cable. It's easy to hear the difference.<br />

But you are right: Maybe the wifi card degrades the sound too, more than the connected cable - I've not compared.<br />

<br />

My theory says, that power and ground is very, very important - so the wireless solution should beat the wired one. We'll see.<br />

<br />

Enjoy listening,<br />

Bernhard

Chris-<br />

<br />

You recommend Jriver and say "Readers with Android devices would be remiss not to give Gizmo a shot."<br />

<br />

This is exactly what I am interested in. But the CAPS 2.0 has no wifi and I have been told by the Jriver people that Gizmo won't work without wireless. Do you know some way around this?

Hi,<br />

<br />

I'm building my CAPS V2 and plan to use it with my Bryston BDA-1.<br />

<br />

So, I have to buy an USB to S/PDIF converter. Please, can you give me some advise on that. There is a lot of converters and I'm a little lost...<br />

<br />

Thank you!!!

Hi satbox,<br />

I've just finished building my (slightly modified) CAPS V2 server. I'm using the SOtM tx-USB PCI to USB card, SOtM SATA filter and the SOtM dX-USB-HD USB to S/PDIF converter. The idea of the matching SOtM card with the SOtM converter really appealed to me. <br />

The converter is very new which made finding any information on it difficult (I wasn't able to find one review). Buying it was pretty much a leap of faith for me after reading Chris' comments about the other two SOtM components in his CAPS V2 server build.<br />

I purchased all three items from Jesus @ Sonore and I can vouch for his great service as well as support. He was always very fast to respond to all my pre-sales questions (always within hours of my email). This was also a big part of the decision to go with the SOtM converter. I had a couple issues during the actual building process and he was just as quick to respond and help out. In fact, I was in the thick of it late Saturday night and sent him an email expecting to hear back from him sometime Monday. Within less than an hour he responded and and used a remote login session to help me. I can't say enough good things about Jesus, and based on different comments throughout the forums, I'm definitely not alone.<br />

I'm using a Bryston BP25DA (preamp with built in dac) which is somewhat similar to the Bryston BDA-1 dac. My amp is at Bryston for repair so I haven't been able to hook the CAPS server up to play music yet. I should be getting it back today and will post a followup when I have some actual listening experience to comment on. I admit I have very high hopes.<br />

Just so you know, I'm coming from using a Squeezebox Touch into my BP25DA with no previous experience with any other type of USB to S/PDIF converter or computer based playback. Prior to buying the SOtM converter, I had been researching the Musical Fidelity V-Link, Halide Bridge, Empirical Audio Off-Ramp (Steve was also great with responding to all questions) and the USB to S/PDIF converter from Audio-GD. I was also interested in the Wavelink converter but after receiving no response to my request for a price quote from the dealer in Quebec (I'm located near Toronto in Canada)I quickly eliminated that product from my list. I had no actual listening experience with any of these. All research was based on online reviews and comments from other owners/users.<br />

<br />

Good luck,<br />

Bill

I have bought one of these from Sonore as well. Arrived very fast to the UK.<br />

<br />

I am using it in an external drive (my old external drive needed more capacity anyway - always an excuse for an upgrade)<br />

<br />

I am using it with a Hitachi 750GB 2.5" drive. I have housed it and the SATA Filter in a WeibeTech ToughTech Q 3.5" external drive enclosure and it fits perfectly with some 2.5" to 3.5" drive mounting adaptors I had made for the job. <br />

<br />

This drive is connected by Firewire to my Mac.<br />

<br />

Sound wise I think things are a little bit better maybe a little quieter and more refined. <br />

<br />

The only issue I am having is my Mac seems to take longer to find the drive when booted up compared to the other drive (backup) I have.<br />

<br />

Trying to make sense of all the bits...MacMini/Amarra -> WavIO USB to I2S -> DDDAC 1794 NOS DAC -> Active XO ->Bass Amp Avondale NCC200s, Mid/Treble Amp Sugden Masterclass -> My Own Speakers