IGNORED

Walked into my local Best Buy/Magnolia store today.

I am more than disappointed in the way Best Buy is doing business in Hi-Fi with the Magnolia name.

So what were my impressions today? The products on display were top notch McIntosh, B&W speakers, Martin Logan, Sonus Faber, Marantz, Oppo, etc. They even had the 800D on display connected to a pair of McIntosh Mc601 mono blocks. A serious 2-channel system & BiG bucks. So what's wrong? First, the sales people were less than interested in talking to me and did not seem so excited about the products. One guy knows almost nothing about Hi-Fi and did not have ANY demo materials. The staff aside, the products were not displayed in an inviting manner for me to drop $50k on a 2-channel system. They had a Martin Logan & McIntosh system near the entrance on an opened floor. The system was about $17K and it sounded like a cheap boom box. The sound room looked like a wall of cheap gear, but it's not. Just look that way. The Oppo rack had all the Oppo Blu-ray players, but non were connect to power. There just black boxes that cost up to $999 that doesn't even deemed good enough to get power let alone connected to a TV or stereo. Sad... Best Buy really needs an new marketing staff for Magnolia. If they want to sell Hi-Fi, the gear needs to be presented in an inviting manner and the people selling it needs to be excited about what they do. Please tell us your experience at Best Buy/Magnolia.

I've been in the Magnolia in Los Angeles a few times. The salesmen were enthusiastic about audio & owned some decent gear. One of them was knowledgeable about the store's gear. They weren't such great listeners, but hey, they're young.

I don't expect much from a place like Magnolia. I'd only go in there if I already know what I want and don't want to wait to buy it on-line. Their main advantage is they have a fairly wide selection of brands. Most higher-end shops I've been in, that have knowledgeable staff who know how to work with customers, tend to carry a more narrow range of brands.

Rascal

A: Mac Mini => Peachtree Nova => LFD Integrated Zero Mk.III => Harbeth Compact 7ES-3 | Musical Fidelity X-CAN V-8 => AKG K 701

B: Airport Express = > Benchmark DAC1 => Rega Brio-R => B&W DM 601 S2

C: Airport Express => AudioEngine A2

I think it should come down to consumers being educated enough to know about their purchase and if they can simply go pick up at a super store or need a specialty shop. This applies to more than just audio.

I usually only go to Best Buy for quick small purchases. I did have a decent conversation with a sales person one time. He was really amped on the Peachtree products. At the time I knew nothing of Peachtree but after getting more familiar with them based on this site it seems like he may have had some good ideas.

I will agree that their demo rooms seem far from ideal. So even if the staff is knowledgeable they may be limited by the layout.

Main / Office: Home built computer -> Roon Core (Tidal & FLAC) -> Wireless -> Matrix Audio Mini-i Pro 3 -> Dan Clark Audio AEON 2 Noire (On order)

Portable / Travel: iPhone 12 Pro Max -> ALAC or Tidal -> iFi Hip Dac -> Meze 99 Classics or Meze Rai Solo

Since getting three local Fry's I have not been in a Best Buy store. But if you want to talk to engaged sales people, drop in Guitar Center.

I am really happy to hear a BB/Magnolia store has that level of display inventory. Needs a motivated manager to get it presented properly. Sounds like a like a Supercenter (dumping ground) where gear that is contracted from is sent.

Hang around until they blow out the demo gear at 50 - 60% off list. Next change in business plans will want all this cost off the books.

George

2012 Mac Mini, i5 - 2.5 GHz, 16 GB RAM. SSD,  PM/PV software, Focusrite Clarett 4Pre 4 channel interface. Daysequerra M4.0X Broadcast monitor., My_Ref Evolution rev a , Klipsch La Scala II, Blue Sky Sub 12

Clarett used as ADC for vinyl rips.

Corning Optical Thunderbolt cable used to connect computer to 4Pre. Dac fed by iFi iPower and Noise Trapper isolation transformer. 

I have a Magnolia within walking distance of my office, so occasionally stop by to drool on stuff.

One of guys there is good. I bring music in, he hangs around to listen to everything I've got on, is responsive, helpful, knowledgeable and enthusiastic. I guess its a YMMV thing.

I've been listening to the Martin Logans. Wow. Me like.

Peachtree Audio DAC-iT, Dynaco Stereo 70 Amp w/ Curcio triode cascode conversion, MCM Systems .7 Monitors

I think Magnolia is a separate entity that exists within Best Buy, kind of like mitochondria or other prokaryotic organelles within eukaryotic cells, or like McDonalds embedded in Walmart. The Magnolia sales people work on commission, etc.

I've strolled through a couple of times when the kids want to play demo video games for free. Once I saw an open-box return of a Peachtree iDecco for like $500 off. I almost bought it even though I don't know what I would do with it. So I imagine, if you keep your eyes open, it is worth finding some deals.

I've also been told they are severing their relationship with Rel, so you might get a good deal on a Rel sub if you keep your eyes open.

I went to one in San Jose. It didn't seem that bad.

I do hate Pest Buy. I hate the way they pump ozone into the ventilation system to give it electronics stench. I hate being asked to switch to satellite TV. ("What TV service provider do you have now?" "None, I only turn my TV on during natural disasters." "Oh.")

I typically support all "buy local" policies and avoid the big boxes. Best Buy, coincidentally, is based in my home town, so I'm less resistent to them.

Nonetheless, I would have rather purchased my CM9s from a local hifi store if it were not for (1) Best Buy beat everyone on price; (2) Best Buy had a 36-month no-interest credit plan; and (3) they have a conscience/excuse-free 30-day return policy.

I didn't need to speak to an informed salesperson. There was a kid there who helped me set up the speakers to demo them, and then he was able to rig 5% off the already decent sale price because he apparently was some sort of Ass. Manager. That was like $150 off just cause he knew how to run the cash register.

There was another kid who helped me fit the speakers into my car, and that was that... Fairly Smooth.

At Home: 10x12 listening room -> Asus G74Sx laptop -> Windows 10 -> Foobar 2000 (WASAPI output) -> Audioquest Cinnamon USB -> Bel Canto C5i integrated amplifier -> Audioquest Rocket 33 bi-wired speaker cables -> B&W CM9 speakers & B&W ASW10CM subwoofer. At Work: Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro -> Windows 10 -> Foobar 2000 (WASAPI output) -> Audioquest Forest USB -> Rotel RA-1570 -> Audioquest Type 4 speaker cables -> Magnepan Mini System.

Those "Design Centers" inside BB has so much potentials if done correctly. The amount of foot traffic BB gets is a serious bonus. They need a new marketing team to execute this the right way.

As a former Magnolia Hi-Fi & The Good Guys employee, I feel that the people selling the products MUST be passionate about Hi-Fi. If you believe in it, you will sell it.

My one experience with Magnolia was not a good one.

My usb cable had petered out, and I knew they carried Audioquest, so I called to check stock on a .75m Carbon. I stressed to him that it needed to be .75m.

They guy said they had one and would put it away for me. So I drove an hour down there....only to find he apparently can't tell the difference between .75m and 1.5m.

I drove a total of two hours in traffic for a good screwin'. I wanted to blow my top at the guy, but what's the point. I will never walk in that store again, and won't recommend them to anyone.

By the way, as mentioned previously, their store setup is very bizarre....none of it conducive to auditioning product.

Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not." — Nelson Pass

"Best Buy will go the way of Circuit City after another bad Christmas."

Highly unlikely. It depends on the market that the store is in. The one near us has trimmed all the fat and is concentrating on items that are proving to be hot like laptops, gaming, flat panels, etc. They are not quite as busy as they once were but they are not going away soon.

Conversely, the one I visited in my old hometown was crazy busy when I went there in September. They looked like merchandise was moving very well, the store was stocked great and there were no holes in the inventory. A very successful store.

I think Best Buy is working hard at trimming fat and I predict they will come out of this stronger and better for it.

David

I've been thinking about this.

About 6 months ago while on a business trip, I was killing time in what was turning out to be a Best Buy with a pretty badly set-up Magnolia area. The salesperson could only recite the marketing hype about the various boxes and wires.

The guy really didn’t even know how to listen. In the context of a sales pitch to me, I gave him feedback about what I listen to and how I listen to it. We played some music together. It really seemed to help him, like I was teaching him something he was dying to know.

The ironic thing about the interaction is that I sold HIM stuff. I showed him a few of the “good” CDs they had on their racks and he decided to buy them for himself using his employee discount.

As experienced listeners, we have knowledge to share with people who could be the crusaders for the audiophile cause. I think it is important to share that knowledge.

Peachtree Audio DAC-iT, Dynaco Stereo 70 Amp w/ Curcio triode cascode conversion, MCM Systems .7 Monitors

Intrigued by this conversation, we wandered into a Best Buy yesterday afternoon, and boy, was the Magnolia part sad. They did have a nice Sonos display, but absolutely nobody in the store knew anything about them. Nor was there any specific "Magnolia" person in the store.

The "listening room" was the saddest part of all. A very small built-in shelf of Pioneer and Marantz gear, with a few oddball blue ray players stashed in. No much playing, just an eerie silence.

A couple of the regular hacks were directed by the manager (I guess) to come over and help us, but they spent more time talking to each other and on their walkie talkies than paying any attention to us. They would, when I could gain their attention, answer specific questions like "do you have this model in stock?" - but it was easily apparent they had no knowledge of audio, and no interest at all in it.

This is is a major high tech area of Austin too, not out in the "boonies."

It's a damn shame. Had I spare million or two, I think I would open me up a shop down here. Right close to that Best Buy in fact.

-Paul

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

I still wish I could have fallen in love in the Martin Logan vantage speakers that were on absurd clearance at best buy when I was looking at speakers. My problem, as I wrote elsewhere, was that, every time I stood up to play a different cd, I lost the hilariously small sweet spot provided by the speakers. It was stunning.

I do wish that best buy got a couple other higher end brands to compete with b&w.

At Home: 10x12 listening room -> Asus G74Sx laptop -> Windows 10 -> Foobar 2000 (WASAPI output) -> Audioquest Cinnamon USB -> Bel Canto C5i integrated amplifier -> Audioquest Rocket 33 bi-wired speaker cables -> B&W CM9 speakers & B&W ASW10CM subwoofer. At Work: Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro -> Windows 10 -> Foobar 2000 (WASAPI output) -> Audioquest Forest USB -> Rotel RA-1570 -> Audioquest Type 4 speaker cables -> Magnepan Mini System.

@Brian A: I will be nominating you for the next CNN Hero of the Year award :)

2011 Mac Mini (Lion) -> Audirvana Plus -> Audioquest Cinnamon USB -> Schiit Bifrost -> Audioquest Diamondback -> Rotel RA-1520 -> Analysis Plus Oval 12/2 -> Klipsch RF-62 II

"If it sounds good, it is good ..." -Duke Ellington

Huh. The only Magnolia I've been to is at an independent location (in West Los Angeles), not located within a Best Buy. I've never noticed a Magnolia-with-Best Buy, and never knew these existed. But then I normally only set foot in a BB if I need a refrigerator or a microwave oven. I don't bother exploring the audio section.

The Magnolia in my area has a completely different feel than Best Buy. If I didn't know, I would have never guess they had any relationship. Lots of open space & the listening rooms seemed like pretty typical listening rooms for a large store - not bad, not great. The staff was fairly patient and fairly knowledgeable. I'd recommend it maybe to a non-audiophile looking for a moderately-priced home theater system,

Rascal

A: Mac Mini => Peachtree Nova => LFD Integrated Zero Mk.III => Harbeth Compact 7ES-3 | Musical Fidelity X-CAN V-8 => AKG K 701

B: Airport Express = > Benchmark DAC1 => Rega Brio-R => B&W DM 601 S2

C: Airport Express => AudioEngine A2