37 minutes ago, accwai said:

In this case, the questions are very, very literal. I really do want to know what's wrong with the Hogwood version. And this piece is very special indeed. I do want to figure out what others think. If the way I say it is rude, I apologize. That was not intended at all. In any case, one of my amps just blew up so I'll be taking a break from music for a while. See you people.

I didn't listen to my home system for several month while traveling. Now it sounds better than before...) Hope all will be well with your hobby😉

On 1/6/2019 at 8:07 AM, Musicophile said:

My current favorite is Céline Frisch. 

https://musicophilesblog.com/2016/02/04/celine-frischs-beautiful-well-tempered-clavier/

Richter was my first love, Hewitt (as usual with Bach) has done two great recordings, and Schiff‘s earlier recording is also worth checking out. 

I was able to listen Celine Frisch finally. Not WTC now (will do later), but Goldbergs. And I am glad I did, very nice recordings to occupy its own place among many and many of other available versions. As I told already I am not a great devotee of harpsichord, but in this case it sound just perfect. Frisch's reading is fluid and transparent at the same time convincing. Thank you very much!

23 minutes ago, Musicophile said:

yvy58rxra6auc_600.jpg

I really wanted to like this album, but didn't succeed at all (starting from the horribly 90s looking cover). Here's my not very positive review:  https://musicophilesblog.com/2019/03/10/youn-sun-nahs-latest-album-immersion-really-not-my-cup-of-tea/.

Let me know what you think. 

Well... to let you know I need to listen this album. based on your notice I think I will skip it. Sorry, no opinion. 

15 minutes ago, rando said:

@AnotherSpin Swastikas are a Christian symbol possibly near the same age as an upright cross. Don't let circumstance deceive you into thinking us likely to celebrate any violent organization.  Nor forget the consequences of leaving them unchecked. 

Couple of thousand or more years before christianity swastika was used widely in India. The word itself has Indian origin. 

I believe it is quite stupid and arrogant to place bolshevik propaganda cartoons on covers of music albums, but I do not have objections if others love it. Merely commenting if you do not mind.

3 minutes ago, Musicophile said:

The interpretation of Rouvali really is quite impressive, I really like his energy. So it will eventually boil down to the music itself. I’ll give it more spins in the future and am looking forward to his future recordings of this cycle.

That said I’m happy to give Herbie a try as well. His EMI period was generally so much better than his late DG follies. 

Well, Karajan had a no-no ticket to my personal Valhalla of great conductors for decades, but times change and I learned to appreciate his artistry now, also some of his DG recordings, even very late. His final Brahms cycle for example.

53 minutes ago, Musicophile said:

I must admit the only late Karajan I can stand is Bruckner, where his style of “just too much and a bit too polished” actually works.  His late Brahms cycle isn’t my cup of tea.

It might be his self-indulgence and narcissism started work for me in some manner. I will not select his Brahms, Wagner or Bruckner as the only ones, still they differentiate nicely in comparison with other established interpretations.

3 hours ago, firedog said:

https://play.qobuz.com/album/0827969361429

Thecellardoorsessions.jpg

The Cellar Door Sessions, 1970. Miles live and in fusion mode. Fantastic stuff  if you like jazz fusion.  6 disc set recorded over 4 nights in  a club by Columbia. Excellent sound. McLaughlin joins in on last 2 discs. Keith Jarrett keyboards. Jack DeJonette drums.
Out of print and expensive in CD form. Hooray for streaming. 

McLaughlin is very impressive here, I believe it is his only live recording with Davis available. Jarrett on electric piano. Great recordings.

1 hour ago, Musicophile said:

All of it? I’m impressed. 

I can barely sit through one of them.

I have the Solti cycle as well, actually both on vinyl and as download, but I’m still waiting for the day that I really start to fully  it. 

It is a single CD selection of instrumental parts from Der Ring. Kind of greatest hits. Just to get a feeling of Wagner's universe.

Would you believe it or not, I listened to whole opus in its entirety countless times, not only Solti, which is most famous, but many other versions as well, starting from post-war live recordings. Was even dreaming about undertaking the effort of getting tickets to Bayreuth festival (it is not a simple task at all if you know what I mean), but laziness prevailed. 

26 minutes ago, rando said:

Self released album by The Collegeville Consort.  This was one of the local albums I had hoped to track down at some point!  Now if only I could uncover the remaining Schubert Club releases.    

The internationally famous architecture of St John's Abbey church in Collegeville, MN is worth noting for those who participated in the thread on concert hall architecture.  This album was not recorded in the church but the on the St. John's university campus in the Gertken Organ Studio.

R-8080317-1454763138-8821.jpeg.jpg

Could not trust anything published grass roots. Do they use proper microphones?

• 2 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, Jud said:

Whatever it was (they were famously fanatical about precision, and I can’t see them needing excuses if they just didn’t want to tour - they weren’t the types to care hugely about what others thought), Beyoncé’s band is still amazing, and so is the show/documentary.

Jazz is not about precision)

1 hour ago, rando said:

"Chitrangada: Musical Opera of Rabinranath Tagore" caught my eye so I decided to see what this disc was about.  Maybe @Nikhil will be kind enough to expose some of the subtleties of the story and why it's interpreted through dance.  Obviously this is pretty wild stuff I'm quite sure is escaping my cultural and musical comprehension.  

I am pretty sure you know well great Bengali poet, musician and artist Rabindranath Tagore, who besides all was awarded with Nobel Prize on Literature. About this particular play - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chitra_(play)