5 minutes ago, elcorso said:

My God, I published my download link ...! Are they going to sue me and I'm going to end up in jail?

Please, if that happens, take me a lot of cigarettes ?

Roch

Now, after I downloaded it free of charge compulsively tell me - should I listen it? Or I would choose to spare it?

6 hours ago, austinpop said:

Per @Jud's recommendation, enjoying this in DSD.

51ehtEqeg7L.jpg

Jud, as you mentioned on another thread, the later concertos seem to be particularly inspired. I agree with you there. In fact, for concertos 1-3, I think this one is still my favorite:

MI0000977757.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

+1. I tried also Savall's version after Jud's recommendation. It is very involving performance indeed.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/26/2018 at 12:13 AM, Musicophile said:

Return flight home from a business trip cancelled. Only solution to get home tonight: rent a car and drive for 5 hours.

Luckily I had this beautiful compilation on my Qobuz app:

0002894777483_600.jpg

Much better driving a crappy rental Ford with beautiful music.

Did you hear Fazil Say's Nocturnes recording? If yes, what you think?

8 hours ago, WAM said:

My favorite Mahler 5:

neumann.jpg

My first ever Mahler 5th was an LP of later Neumann version for Supraphon. Great impression in mid 70s, not anymore. This earlier recording with Gewandhaus is slightly more energetic, but both sound quality and interpretation slightly outdated, imho. 

2 hours ago, WAM said:

Perhaps you are right. But it's the one I keep returning to (I own 6 other versions). For some odd reason, I like it.

I didn't want to cast a doubt or question your preference...) I heard many versions of 5th and I am happy to find special flavor and certain attraction in each of them. The version of 5th which I selected as outstanding for many years was from Barbirolli, but I am not sure anymore. So many great and very different approaches to Mahler are accessible now.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Hugo9000 said:

Richard Strauss

Till Eulenspiegels lustige Streiche

Don Juan

Salome's Dance Of The Seven Veils

Herbert von Karajan/Berlin Philharmonic

from this wonderful set:

1240802975_KarajanStraussseta.thumb.jpg.3a272a7e343f49aafe7f4ff3fc2acad7.jpg

2095440412_KarajanStrausssetb.thumb.jpg.4ae9f5c02ab31047751b1a3a46cf97bf.jpg

(I own copy 2263 of 5000, the above pics are from the web)

At my desk, so listening to CD4 rather than the Blu-ray, but it sounds sublime!  

I'd prefer this compilation rather than another one from DG with later recordings from Karajan. Vier Letzte Lieder with Janowitz is otherworldly. Nevertheless, early Karajan's EMI Rosenkavalier with Schwarzkopf is a must. I also prefer his Decca's Also sprach...

1 hour ago, sphinxsix said:

That's the impression I had while listening to it. Wasn't sure though - I watched the movie years ago. My favorite version at the moment.

As I like Richard Strauss very much for a long time, I've been listening to many very different performances of his music, starting from those conducted by Strauss himself to most recent ones. Still Karajan had his very special ability to approach this music, imho.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, firedog said:

Just saw this set favorably mentioned in an equipment review. It's a good performance and a very good recording. Equivalent to 5 discs.
About $56 at HDT for 24/192, I got it with 20% off with code hdtsept25 (good thru sept 27 midnight PST).  The 24/96 is available at a couple of vendors for a good price also.

4260306180943-cover-zoom.jpg

Rattle's readings here got a mixed reviews, and were dismissed categorically by some of critics. I was quite impressed by these recordings, the orchestra sound is particularly glorious.

• 2 weeks later...
42 minutes ago, Musicophile said:

See here: https://musicophilesblog.com/2018/03/03/keith-jarrett-gary-peacock-jack-de-johnette-after-the-fall-a-review/

The SQ isn’t what you’d expect from ECM, this isn’t their typically pristine audiophile sound (it’s a DAT recording). 

That said, it’s very enjoyable musically. 

If you get Grail in your hands you will not worry it is not polished well enough, do you?)))