14 hours ago, AnotherSpin said:

This album is excellent. Marsalis, young and still unpretentious at that time, shines on it, and Hancock/Carter/Williams are in the great shape. I had this album on LPs when it was released, the sound quality was terrific. Digital transfer is good, but not so excellent as original sound. However, this album sounds much better in digital format than fabulous VSOP Quintet recordings which were digitalized badly, imho.

Thanks for reminding me of this one. Enjoying it via Tidal. Sounds very good to me.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, elcorso said:

Love Ginastera works and specially this one, thanks for the link !

Had problems under Mac / Sierra downloading it with the Chandos-Manager. Then I had to download track by track.

Roch

Their download manager is strange. You have to click to download all the tracks on the site web page, and the tell the page to open the manager.

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/15/2018 at 10:44 PM, slartybartfast said:

I’m a Miles and Mingus fan but I can’t get past the vibraphone. It should never be used in Jazz - willing to be educated, can someone say anything good about that instrument?

not me. There's only a few albums featuring vibraphone I'll listen to.

• 2 weeks later...
42 minutes ago, biosailor said:

Art Pepper Meets the Rhythm Section: that is because he plays with Miles Davis' old rhythm section consisting of Philly Joe Jones (drums), Red Garland (piano) and Paul Chambers (bass). It is a superb recording, in every way!

APMtRS.jpeg.8826ac083588c279a783d8f2e4021760.jpeg

One of my favorites. Great music, great recording. Amazing sound. Pepper didn't know the players and basically found out about the session when he walked in. Shows what a great soloist and an experienced and talented rhythm section can do at the drop of a hat. 

Roy DuNaan was a great engineer. Simple works: https://www.stereophile.com/interviews/402roy/index.html

• 3 weeks later...

This was mentioned in another thread. Excellent version - performance and sound - I didn't know about. Listening on Tidal (different release) and ordered the CD from Amazon.

61zIGcw0WBL._SX425_.jpg

26 minutes ago, rodrigaj said:

Could you check your Tidal source?  The only version I could find was 96kbs.

https://tidal.com/album/9615969

Tidal has some weird search quirks. On one search I came up with the one you are seeing. But there is also this, if you play with the search terms: https://listen.tidal.com/album/8746572

As I tried to mention, the version on Tidal is the same recording, different release to the CD I bought and pictured. 

34 minutes ago, rodrigaj said:

Your link got me to "The content is no longer available."

2013186504_ScreenShot2018-06-26at10_45_12AM.thumb.jpg.65cfa09abcf0ac024c24aa23116e44fa.jpg

Oh well.

then it must be a country thing. Are you in the US? I'm not.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
20 hours ago, biosailor said:

Great 60's jazz!!! A masterpiece!

WS_AA.jpg.5d9974681f7a502c57f222c37a4ec9df.jpg

Somehow I'd missed this one. Listening to it now on Tidal. I think it's going to be permanent "favorite" - meaning I buy a download. 

14 hours ago, austinpop said:

Haven’t finished listening, but just based on the first 3 tracks, run - don’t walk - and buy it on sale at $8.78 for 24/96 at eclassical.com!

BC7EF265-6CA3-4F23-B114-56CE222EC4DA.jpeg.4c0b52a3ed9392330082b7a38cdcf2db.jpeg

I listened a bit to the clips on the site and bought it. It's good "if you like that kind of thing", which I do. Always like well conceived and executed Indian - Western synthesis.

3 hours ago, accwai said:

Ravi Shankar: Symphony

David Murphy, Anoushka Shankar, London Philharmonic Orchestra

MI0003326992.jpg

Very nice pick. Second nice Indian-Classical download I've made this week. If anyone else looks, it's only available in Redbook and mp3. Chandos was the cheapest I saw it.

20 hours ago, Guidof said:

cover.thumb.JPG.be7df621a786c77b8905d2cc6c1c6336.JPG

McCoy Tyner, Lex Humphries, Steve Davis: Nights of Ballads & Blues.

Disappointing sound (hole-in-the-middle soundstage, bass and drums too loud -- at least in my system). A 24/96 HDTapeTransfers download.

How funny - just now listened to this on Tidal. Sound not great, but music really is. 

Double post

• 1 month later...

R-1510689-1431128251-4301.jpeg.jpg

Rudresh Mahanthappa Featuring Kadri Gopalnath & The Dakshina Ensemble ‎– Kinsmen

listening inspired by @austinpop. Great jazz-indian fusion.

12 hours ago, rickca said:

I just found out that my local Steinway Piano Gallery (Boca Raton) runs a concert series with guest pianists.  It's an intimate venue and tickets are just $25.

Pianists coming soon include

JENNY LIN

CHING-YUN HU

ASIYA KOREPANOVA

I just need to resist the temptation to buy a baby grand and go into debt forever.

Why, you can get used pianos for reasonable prices. Not a big market anymore. Estate sales....

• 2 weeks later...

Just saw this set favorably mentioned in an equipment review. It's a good performance and a very good recording. Equivalent to 5 discs.
About $56 at HDT for 24/192, I got it with 20% off with code hdtsept25 (good thru sept 27 midnight PST).  The 24/96 is available at a couple of vendors for a good price also.

4260306180943-cover-zoom.jpg

1 hour ago, AnotherSpin said:

Rattle's readings here got a mixed reviews, and were dismissed categorically by some of critics. I was quite impressed by these recordings, the orchestra sound is particularly glorious.

Classical critics tend to go over the top with negativity sometimes. I'm not an expert, but these clearly are well thought out performances. Maybe not everyone's perfect execution, but it's silly to say they aren't good.
The sound has what I'd call, in a good way, "solidity": it's powerful, tone is good. you can hear all the detail, there's good spread and layering of the instruments, yet the orchestra sounds like a unit. The perspective is of an audience member - it's not in your face. I sometimes like a "closer to the front row" perspective, but this is still a very enjoyable sound. 

• 1 month later...
8 hours ago, Kal Rubinson said:

Agreed.  Among the dozen or two M^s in my collection, my go-to is still Bernstein/VPO even though the sound is hard and hollow and I have many with vastly better sound.

Love that one. I like the performance and the recording is very powerful and dramatic (as it should be). It's one of my test records when evaluating systems. If you play that recording and the system can't "knock you out of your seat during the climaxes, then you should go onto something else. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
On 2/14/2019 at 3:42 AM, sphinxsix said:

I've decided to follow into @AMR/iFi audio 's footsteps and to check out the soundtrack I actually haven't listened to for a very long time.

35-JACK-JOHNSON-R%C2%B0.jpg

If you like the post Bop Miles, this is a really good album. 

3 hours ago, semente said:

Both these sources say 1975; apparently it was first sold on vinyl.

https://www.discogs.com/Zoltán-Kocsis-Kocsis-Plays-Bartók/release/5357237

https://www.gramophone.co.uk/review/bartók-piano-works-8

Edit: back cover posted by @rando also gives '75 as the recording date.

According to this : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_recording

It was not the first commercial digital recording, and seems it wasn't a digital recording at all.   Don't know why that Japanese CD is labeled "DDD" maybe they were given a digital master, and thought it originated as a digital recording. Anyway, at the beginning of the CD era, it was thought to be a marketing advantage to be a DDD recording, so maybe it was just wishful thinking and slick marketing. 

47 minutes ago, Jud said:

Any thoughts about SQ from anyone who's heard it on Qobuz?

Sounds fine. Not fantastic, but fine. 

1 hour ago, semente said:

Interesting, that's the UK price; in the US I see it for $13

On 2/19/2019 at 1:54 AM, rando said:

Bartok's "Concerto for Orchestra from disc one of the Dorati set on MLP and Stokowski on Everest is tonight's entertainment. 

51gOd+p8GZL._SY355_.jpg

That Everest album is a top notch performance in terms of interpretation and listening and a good recording.