IGNORED

McCartney I and McCartney II

Available for pre-order here: http://www.paulmccartney.com/mccartney/usd.php

Includes almost too many different options (Deluxe, Special, Regular, CD, DVD, flac, mp3, etc.), but includes hi-res download option alone if that's all you want (24/96). Even a choice between "limited" and "unlimited" for the hi-res.

Here's a note about the hi-res download files:

"High Resolution Audio Downloads of the

Remastered Album and Bonus Audio Tracks

"The audio industry has seen many technical innovations since McCartney was first released on vinyl in 1970, the most notable being digital recording. However, with the introduction of CD came two advances, "de-noising" and "peak limiting" which have become increasingly unpopular within certain areas of the music industry and amongst audiophiles.

"De-noising was introduced to remove the inherent sound, or hiss, associated with analogue tape. The amount of processing used to remove tape noise can be varied, but when used excessively, many believe that it also has a detrimental effect on elements of the musical sound.

"Peak limiting is a process that increases the loudness of music. It is achieved by holding the loudest peaks down and raising the overall level of the music. Much depends on the amount of limiting applied, but at its most extreme the result can be a serious reduction in the dynamic range and often audible distortion.

"The release of The Beatles' remasters in 2009 saw a marked change in attitudes towards these issues, where both noise reduction and limiting were used sparingly with the aim of representing the master tapes more accurately.

"Such is the case with this newly remastered CD of McCartney: tape noise reduction has scarcely been used and the degree of limiting is subtle. In addition digital technology has advanced with the ability now to offer recordings in 24 bit/96kHz. The high resolution version is being made available via download and is being offered in two formats: limited, which is comparable in volume to the remastered CD, and un-limited, which in comparison with the limited version will sound quieter, but retain the dynamic range of the original master recording."

Office desktop: iMac ((Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015) (4 GHz Intel Core i7) (512GB SSD) (32GB Ram)) => USB (Kimber Kable USB Silver) => V-Link 192 USB Input => V-Link Coax Output (AQ Sidewinder) => Schiit Bifrost Multibit Coax Input => Schiit Bifrost Multibit RCA Output => Schitt Pyst => Schitt Asgard 2 => (Audioquest - Mini-3) => Audioengine HD6 (slave connected with Audioquest Type 4 cable) (Pangea AC-14 Power Cord) (IsoAcoustic L8R155 stands) => Audioquest Sidewinders => Audioengine S8 Subwoofer

• 4 weeks later...

arrived. The good news: a sampling of the wav files shows a real new clarity to these classics, but the tape hiss is still there (yeah, no use of no-noising is evident). The bells on Junk are crystal clear, for example, and yet it retains the warmth. Nice.

The bad news: the files are a mess!!! In both wav and MP3 (with no ID3 tags) the songs are misnumbered and mislabeled. Songs 2 and 4 are switched and mislabeled, as are 6 and 7, and 8 and 9. Furthermore, 2 and 4 (That Would Be Something, Every Night) have errors that don't allow conversion to FLAC for me (was converting to add my own tags, etc before converting back to wav).

I have an email into Topspin. I mean, really, how tough is it to do correct tagging/naming!!!

Edit: In fact, tracks 2 and 4 are indeed cut off! The MP3's look to be made from the bad wav files (times are wrong, but are the cut off times) so NO ONE WAS LISTENING??

I guess McCartney II is in as bad a shape. Topspin and the label ought to be ashamed of themselves.

Thanks for letting us know, Ted. Amazing that there is no quality control at these companies. Especially for premium prices.

I assume they will straighten it out shortly. Don't think I will be doing any pre-orders on these type tracks anytime soon. Guess I'll wait and buy McCartney I.

The other good thing is that Amazon is also selling the re-release, and if their copy is also messed up you can be sure that the people at the source will get an earful from the worlds biggest marketer of recorded music.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protectors +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Protection>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three BXT (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Guys, I would having nothing to do with Topspin Media Inc.

I very mistakenly tried to but the high res download of the 'Band On The Run', which they could not deliver.

Their customer service on the issue of a refund was disgraceful but luckily I paid with Paypal who secured a refund for me.

If you are going to buy this I am sure HD Tracks will have it.

Trying to make sense of all the bits...MacMini/Amarra -> WavIO USB to I2S -> DDDAC 1794 NOS DAC -> Active XO ->Bass Amp Avondale NCC200s, Mid/Treble Amp Sugden Masterclass -> My Own Speakers

I have downloaded but not yet had a chance to play the files (I ordered the hi-res, limited and unlimited package).

When I can get to it, I will check for some of the issues reported above.

Also, if anyone hears back from Topspin, please report.

UPDATE: Based on a really quick check, I can confirm the same issues reported above - at least several tracks abruptly cut off; track names incorrect; lack of all tags except track names and times for the WAV files; no album art for the WAV files...

I wrote a quick nasty-gram to Topspin. At the premium price paid, I am astounded by the apparent complete lack of quality assurance and quality control. Even at non-premium prices, I would have expected more.

On the positive side, the hi-res files do SOUND really nice.

Office desktop: iMac ((Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015) (4 GHz Intel Core i7) (512GB SSD) (32GB Ram)) => USB (Kimber Kable USB Silver) => V-Link 192 USB Input => V-Link Coax Output (AQ Sidewinder) => Schiit Bifrost Multibit Coax Input => Schiit Bifrost Multibit RCA Output => Schitt Pyst => Schitt Asgard 2 => (Audioquest - Mini-3) => Audioengine HD6 (slave connected with Audioquest Type 4 cable) (Pangea AC-14 Power Cord) (IsoAcoustic L8R155 stands) => Audioquest Sidewinders => Audioengine S8 Subwoofer

Also don't forget HDTracks left off the last track of Tommy download. It took them a week or more to fix that. And at first they denied there was anything even the matter!

Furutech GTX-D, GTX Wall Plate,106-D Cover > NCF Clearline >Custom Computer>J River [Current] > Curious Cable Evolved USB > Chord Hugo MScaler > WAVE Storm Dual BNC> Chord DAVE>DCA Stealth>my ears > audiophile brain

but I like to give folks 24 hours to respond...

Here is a generic response that I received... It doesn't say anything about the mislabeled files, etc. Seems to sort of dodge the issues...

"We have been alerted that some fans have had trouble downloading the McCartney and McCartney II High Resolution audio. Due to to the albums' size, we are going to deliver the album in multiple download links via email to make it easier for those with slower connections and to reduce any file corruption.

"The files for the High Resolution Limited and Unlimited are on track to be delivered via email within the next 24-48 hours.

We really appreciate your patience. These high resolution versions are amazing masters, and we are looking forward to you enjoying them."

BUT...forgot to post about yesterday's response!!

Topspin sent me forty (40) individual links to songs (all wav, no mp3):

* still corrupted, four of them cut off at 53 seconds, minute, etc.

* no tags, no song numbering, no album name

* they sent me McCartney II links as well, even though I only bought McCartney.

* said sorry for large downloads...which isn't even a complaint from anyone out there, yet didn't address issues everyone has contacted them about (big thread on Hoffman forum).

Topspin is not only inept, but now they are giving product away? Don't invest!

this was the same problem I had with 'Band on the Run' many moons ago and it is still not fixed.

Really can't figure why Paul McCartney lets these fools represent him in any way!

Trying to make sense of all the bits...MacMini/Amarra -> WavIO USB to I2S -> DDDAC 1794 NOS DAC -> Active XO ->Bass Amp Avondale NCC200s, Mid/Treble Amp Sugden Masterclass -> My Own Speakers

At first they bundled the 2 hi-res versions together.

Then for about one day they unbundled them and had them on sale for $10 each.

I ordered the unlimited version. The next day that link disappeared, and the price went up. But when they sent me my link, I got both versions for $10.

So yes, they are incompetent. With all of HDTracks problems, I'd wait to see if they offer it. They are problematic, but more competent than Topspin

Main setup: Surge protectors +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Protection>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three BXT (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

I am usually happy with HDTracks but I only use Paypal with them, just in case..........

I suspect these new releases will be available from HDTracks. At the bottom of their last two email newsletters was this brief message:

"Coming Soon: More from Paul McCartney and Madeleine Peyroux!"

“We don’t like their sound … and guitar music is on the way out!”

– Decca Records, 1962

Taiko Audio Extreme | Vinnie Rossi L2i SE and L2 DAC | Omega Super Alnico Monitors | JL Audio Fathom Sub

fully tagged?

I downloaded McCartney I (Unlimited Version) from HDTracks yesterday, and can confirm the following metadata tags were without any errors.

FLAC files with Track Number, Title, Artist, Album, Year, Genre, and Artwork.

“We don’t like their sound … and guitar music is on the way out!”

– Decca Records, 1962

Taiko Audio Extreme | Vinnie Rossi L2i SE and L2 DAC | Omega Super Alnico Monitors | JL Audio Fathom Sub

I think I will contact Topspin and ask for a refund so I can get them from HDTracks.

I will happily return the files Topspin has sent me, missing tags and all.

The first is up at HDTracks in 24/96 in both limited and unlimited options!

Why would anyone buy the compressed version? Or am I missing something here?

KK

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

"Why would anyone buy the compressed version?"

Because if it is "light compression" (and these are) some people like the tracks louder and with a bit more punch.

On a practical level, if you buy the compressed version, the tracks are more likely to sound like they fit in with other modern tracks when music is played in shuffle or random mode. Lots of users at CA listen in this mode.

I personally prefer the uncompressed, but I understand the other point of view.

Can any one tell me what is limited and unlimited versions ?

B&W 800 Diamond D2, Goldmund Eidos Reference CD, Goldmund Telos 600, Goldmund Mimesis 32, Cello Audio Palette MIV.[br]MacBook Pro, LIO, Mytek 192, HD800, Luxman SQ-38U, Luxman MQ-88u

See the first post in this thread.

No big problems from Topspin download. I just waited for the dust to settle and downloaded from their email w/separate files. A minor hassle popping them into one folder. The 24/96 isn't a heck of a lot better than my Hoffman mastered DCC CD version. The 24/96 has a better drum sound and no noise plus a better mid range. Of course you need a 24/96 DAC otherwise why bother.

So far the only downloads that are markedly better to my ears would be Tommy by the Who and George's All Things Must Pass. The Stones Let it Bleed is a waste of money if you already have the remaster and even from the regular CD. Lot's written about these in other posts here.

Unless something amazing comes down the pike (upcoming Floyd I'm hoping and Zep would be nice) I will wait to read what everyone's consensus is and hopefully a graph to see if the release is boxed.

Furutech GTX-D, GTX Wall Plate,106-D Cover > NCF Clearline >Custom Computer>J River [Current] > Curious Cable Evolved USB > Chord Hugo MScaler > WAVE Storm Dual BNC> Chord DAVE>DCA Stealth>my ears > audiophile brain

There's a re-release of Floyd material, remastered stumbling across Amazon yesterday.

The new box set has audio of the original 1973 at 96/24 being remastered, but didn't look that hard yet as to who did the re-mastering. The hires track is on a BD, so that would be interesting to extract....

6 discs comprise the set including BD, but they actually say there are the SACD versions on the material.

http://www.amazon.com/Dark-Side-Moon-Immersion-Box/dp/B004ZNARH4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1308515270&sr=8-1

Also more Floyd in the same vein, if you look at wish you were here for example.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA