IGNORED

Has anyone listended to the new Bill Evan's download from HDtracks?

Got an email about a new 192/24bit remastering of "Waltz for Debbie".

https://www.hdtracks.com/index.php?file=catalogdetail&valbum_code=HX00888072330030

I'm a long-time fan of Evans. Just wondering if any one has downloaded, listened and or tested it.

Also noticed they have the new Paul Simon album, "So Beautiful or So What" in 96/24bit

Cheers,

Bill

Cheers,

Bill

Mac Mini 2011, 60 gb SSD, 8gb ram; PureMusic & BitPerfect; Wavelength Audio Cosecant V3 DAC; Wireworld Silver Starlight usb interconnect; McIntosh C2200 preamp; pair of McIntosh MC252 SS amps run as monoblocks; vintage MC240 Tube amp and 50th Anniversary MC275 tube amps; Krell LAT-2\'s on Sound Anchors; JL Audio F112 subwoofer; Nirvana SX ltd interconnects and speaker cables and power cords; PS Audio P5

His last few albums have great sonics (You're the One is one under-rated DVD-A in my opinion) and his latest in 24/96 has plenty of energy all the way to 48k. Some great low end, etc. And net/net, great music.

I'm with you and hoping that Paul Stubblebine did a great job on Waltz For Debby. I already have a couple copies so I'll wait until someone proclaims it to be a great transfer.

Appreciate the thoughtful reply.

And, btw, I too have duplicates of a lot of Evan's work. The most gifted jazz pianist of all time...a singularly heroic talent...a singular tragic life story.

Cheers,

Bill

Mac Mini 2011, 60 gb SSD, 8gb ram; PureMusic & BitPerfect; Wavelength Audio Cosecant V3 DAC; Wireworld Silver Starlight usb interconnect; McIntosh C2200 preamp; pair of McIntosh MC252 SS amps run as monoblocks; vintage MC240 Tube amp and 50th Anniversary MC275 tube amps; Krell LAT-2\'s on Sound Anchors; JL Audio F112 subwoofer; Nirvana SX ltd interconnects and speaker cables and power cords; PS Audio P5

Bill Evans looks promising:

"These files are transferred from the original analog master tapes exclusively, not from safety copies or production dubs. The transfers are made in a facility dedicated to getting the most quality possible from these masters, and preserving all of the information in the files so that it's available to the listener. I'm an experienced mastering engineer, but I've also been an audiophile myself for decades. Because of my background in the audiophile world I am sensitive to the qualities of sound that an audiophile values, more so than many engineers in the pro recording world.

"In our decades-long study of the factors which are responsible for sound quality, my colleagues and I have found a number of key areas which must be addressed. First, it is critical to recover as much information as possible from the tapes, since detail lost at any stage can never be restored at a later stage. We use only top quality tape transports (highly tweaked Ampex ATR-100's and Studer A80's) matched with custom playback electronics from ATR Service or Tim de Paravicini. The playback electronics that came with these decks years ago just don't compare to the audiophile grade electronics we've all gotten accustomed to in our systems. The custom electronics that we use recover much more musically meaningful detail, more spatial cues, and more texture and three-dimensionality than the stock electronics.

"Decisions about any potential rebalancing or sonic restoration are made in acoustically treated rooms equipped with highest-quality audiophile playback systems. Any circuitry in the signal path, as well as cabling and AC power, are chosen for sonic performance. At the crucial step of analog to digital conversion, we have chosen the Pacific Microsonics Model Two ( designed by the legendary Kieth Johnson of Reference Recordings fame ). As important as all this is, there are two even more important parts of the puzzle: first, the experience and judgment of the mastering engineer in deciding when to adjust something and when to leave things alone. Second, our commitment to work as hard as necessary, and to avoid any shortcuts which might compromise quality.

"For instance, when both a 96K file and a 192K file are called for, it would be faster and more efficient to transfer it once, at 192K, and use a file conversion utility to convert it down for the 96K file. The file conversion programs are pretty good these days. Are they 100% as good as a direct transfer? This is a question we lose no sleep over. We take the extra care; we wind the tape back to the beginning, reset the capture system to 96K, and transfer it again. It's more work, but the result is something we can stand behind unequivocally. This commitment to do whatever it takes to get you the highest quality listening experience is at the heart of the Stubb-U-Sonic(™) principles." -Paul Stubblebine, remastering engineer

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

First of all, just because I do love Evans that much and the chance to listen to a superior remastering is something I look forward to with great anticipation...even though I already have multiple versions of "Waltz for Debbie".

More importantly, because your CA venue is performing an extremely high value-add to all here who are consumers of HD downloads... by validating quality for those of us who aren't technically oriented or inclined of doing it ourselves. And doing so, in almost real-time. I only asked the question several hours ago.

Asked and answered.

Cheers,

Bill

Cheers,

Bill

I've downloaded this album and checked the files in Audacity.

They not really exceed the 22k limit, there is some noise around 30k.

(And Paul Simon is a true HD album!) :-)

Sorry, no screenshot available at the moment.

Now I am at work, in the evening I will compare to the XRCD version. The XRCD is very good btw.

reg.

Bernhard

... and at the same time we have to say 'thank you' to HDtracks.com for all their high quality music stuff! It would be very nice, if all other download sites had music in the same high quality!!! :-)

HDtracks sells music and not only sound quality.

I think, 'Waltz for Debbie' can be the beginning of some new HD downloads, there are many RIVERSIDE tapes still available.

We will see! B-)

Like many others, I have multiple copies of Waltz For Debbie. I'd love to get the 24/192, but I too will wait till someone looks at the files thru Audacity and see if it really is "hd".

Ryzen 7 2700 PC Server, NUC7CJYH w. 4G Apacer RAM as Renderer/LPS 1.2 - IsoRegen/LPS-1/.2 - Singxer SU-1/LPS1.2 - Holo Spring Level 3 DAC - LTA MicroZOTL MZ2 - Modwright KWA 150 Signature Amp - Tidal Audio Piano's.  

It may still be a superior sounding version: 24bit, careful remaster.

But maybe a reason to buy the 96K and not the 192K.

Eurochamp- how does the download sound compared to the XRCD?

And BTW, are you using Audacity 1.2 or 1.3 to test the frequency of the files? Audacity V1.2 sometimes gives false results. Apparently the bug fixed in 1.3.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protectors +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Protection>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three BXT (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Hi firedog,

The XRCD is one of the best XRCDs I own. The sound of the XRCD is different from the 24/96 - but non of them is really better. I am so familiar with this XRCD and the sound-fingerprint, that the new 24/96 sounded strange first. ;-)

But the 24/96 is nearer to the truth, I think.

I did other comparisons, where the HD file was much better, but not this one. At the end the download is cheaper than the very expensive XRCD.

reg.,

Bernhard

P.S.: Audacity 1.3 beta

As stated earlier, I'm a huge PS fan. Hearts and Bones is one of my most under-rated albums of all time. You're The One is a fave DVD-Audio, even though the surrounds are barely discernible.

My first sit down with this 24/96 version of So Beautiful or So What has me somewhat disappointed. Although my hearing may be a little blocked (allergies hitting me hard this week) I can't help but cringe a little at the compression and peak limiting going on. This should be a colorful organic mix of sweet and sour, Americana and eclectic, and yet what I hear is loud over compression, with plenty of energy (thanks 24/96) but it's all turned up to 11! Ok, I mean, it's not Red Hot Chili Peppers hot, but it's wayy too much for Paul IMO. I switched over to Surprise, You're the One, etc...and all I could think was ...."ahhhh".

I will try again when my ears are 100% unblocked, but they're not bad enough to not have enjoyed other listening tonight.

Note: weirdly enough, my first listen to this album was earlier this week via Rhapsody (i.e Mp3) and my desktop Audio Engine 5's. It was a much better experience, with more dynamics. :scratch:

If that's true Kevin-O, nothing above 22k, then I also agree with Firedog, "But maybe a reason to buy the 96K and not the 192K."

I may just give this one a try.

Ryzen 7 2700 PC Server, NUC7CJYH w. 4G Apacer RAM as Renderer/LPS 1.2 - IsoRegen/LPS-1/.2 - Singxer SU-1/LPS1.2 - Holo Spring Level 3 DAC - LTA MicroZOTL MZ2 - Modwright KWA 150 Signature Amp - Tidal Audio Piano's.