IGNORED

PGGB and HQPlayer Discussion

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Miska said:

Why this and not one of the recommended ones? For example ASDM7ECv2, ASDM7EC-light/super, or something like that?

Not sure, I will have to go back to see if perhaps that was recommended at some point. Are above modulators available in HQP Pro, since that's still on v4?

1 hour ago, Miska said:

You probably mean AK4497?

Yes, apologies, typo. Will try to fix.

1 hour ago, Miska said:

With AKM chips (apart from the AK4191+AK4499EX combo), doing input at 352.8k or higher anyway bypasses the on-chip digital filter which operates only up to 352.8 or 384k output rate. And then enters the digital volume control stage. Thus for higher input rates such selection doesn't have effect.

OK good, so the OSF bypass is implicit too. Point being, it has OSF bypass.

1 hour ago, Miska said:

Is this DAC bit-perfect for DSD? IOW, does it support the DSD Direct mode of AK4497? Has this been verified through measurements?

I'm not an expert here, but I believe it does exploit DSD Direct, at least per Vinnie. See https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/34665-lio-dac-20-statement-level-dac-in-production/?do=findComment&comment=695852

1 hour ago, Miska said:

Why not use same output format for both? And the Pro version used was probably pretty old compared to for example current v5 range...

If you mean: why didn't I compare with one of the PCM filters in HQP, that comparison has been ongoing. Over the years, I've tried the original sinc_L/sinc-M, then with the hidden flag to go up to 16M taps, then the newer Sinc-Mx etc. I have not tried the latest ones in v5, but that is a closed chapter for me.

What I had not heard properly was HQP-upsampled DSD512. on my system, which is what this experiment was about.

Recall that I had reported on PGGB 32/16FS vs. HQP DSD256 upsampling on a T+A DAC-200, which I heard on @The Computer Audiophile's amazing system in this article: https://audiophilestyle.com/ca/bits-and-bytes/my-visit-to-audiophile-style-hq-—-another-take-on-immersive-vs-2ch-audio-r1186/ Scroll down to the sections entitled DSD Upsampling with HQPlayer and PCM Upsampling to 32/16FS with PGGB-256. However, that comparison was done in the course of a single listening session, so I wanted to repeat that in a setting where I was not time-constrained, and could go back and forth.

Ultimately, I  don't wish to argue the point. I urge everyone to just try for yourself and decide.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, Zaphod Beeblebrox said:

I am never going to agree that the differences we hear between upsamplers is because what is beyond the audible range, and I don't think Jussi is going to ever agree that it is because of difference in the time domain reconstruction in the audible range.

I would say this is precisely the reason to pause the technical discussion, as we really do seem to be going around in circles.

@bogi I apologize if my post came across as trying to chill your right to free speech. That is truly not my intention. But hopefully you agree that we are at an impasse?

It would be a shame if @The Computer Audiophile was forced to pause the thread. As ZB's DMs indicate, there are clearly folks who would like to participate here, to discuss usage or listening impressions, but are scared to, for fear of sparking further diatribes.