IGNORED

Article: Embracing Immersive Audio

I have had conversations with folks at Dolby involved with Atmos. They are pushing the labels to release TrueHD Atmos discs as they fully realize how much better they sound than DD+. Hopefully we will see more. Besides the DD+ v. trueHD issue. I have found the physical media conundrum. One of my favorite mixes still is the Bob James Feels like making live album. Downloaded from Immersive Audio Album in a MKV file, it sounds sensational. Until I grabbed the 4k ultra HD Blu ray release. The physical media sounds better in every way,. Maybe it is the player v. The Nvidia Shield, who knows, but give us more physical media. Are you listening Don Was?

There will always be disagreements on the artistic choices made by sound mixers in stereo, MC or immersive. I have some MC SACDs where I think the choices were awful. Same with stereo and Immersive. A pet peeve of mine in stereo is panning the drum kit across the soundstage, it can be a great sounding overall recording but that is not how drums sound live. I can still thoroughly enjoy the music though.

I agree with Jud. I have known Andy for awhile and he was always a champion for multichannel audio. I can recall discussions back in the old and shall remain nameless Philly area group with Andy and another very passionate guy who is no longer with us who really was forceful about the superiority of MC v. Stereo. Back in the, gasp, 90’s. MC has come a long way since then and with current and future tech, he was right all along. That does not mean I do not enjoy two channel, I do, and am about to take delivery of a new pre amp which I will review and yes, I paid full retail. They both bring me great enjoyment. BTW Jud, I still have a Theta Pro Basic with the final upgrade displayed in my two channel room which still works and still sounds pretty good, considering it is from the mid nineties.

Indeed, I listened to some Apple Music Atmos today that was quite good. I even love what I heard last night watching a live concert  DVD for heaven’s sake sending the lossy DTS  track through the DTS Neural X renderer.  Don’t ask though as no audiophile other than Audiodoctor would approve of the artist.

I do not see why classical orchestra pieces should be any different. Of course, having parts of the orchestra would not make any sense, at least to me, but the live orchestral pieces I have in Atmos more realistically recreate the sound I hear in a concert hall than I have ever heard stereo do. A more sense of space, size and dynamics with ambiance in the surrounds and height speakers.