IGNORED

Sampling and Filtering Discussion Split From MQA Thread

44 minutes ago, botrytis said:

I think I would listen to Mani - he is being very reasonable.

It'd not about listening to Mani, but about an explanation, which is understandable and fits to theory.

I think I found it. Every ADC contains not only anti aliasing analog filter at input, but also digital filter at output side. You can find it in any ADC block diagram. Without that digital filter the high frequency content would be present at digital output.

i7 11850H + RTX A2000 Win11 HQPlayer ► Topping HS02 ► 2x iFi iSilencer ► SMSL D300 ► DIY headamp DHA1 ► HiFiMan HE-500
3 hours ago, manisandher said:

"Aliasing" does not occur in D/A conversion, it occurs during sampling (A/D conversion, or downsampling). Without an anti-aliasing filter, any aliasing will lie <fs/2. This is really bad news if fs=44.1kHz especially.

With modern ADCs operating in the MHz range, it would seem dreadfully sloppy to have aliasing in the audible band. What reason, then, for some well-thought-of filtering software done by (I think) reasonably intelligent people with (I think) a good knowledge of digital audio and filtering to include, for example, apodizing filters?

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

8 hours ago, Jud said:

What reason, then, for some well-thought-of filtering software done by (I think) reasonably intelligent people with (I think) a good knowledge of digital audio and filtering to include, for example, apodizing filters?

I would think that RME have good knowledge of digital audio and filtering. From the manual for my ADI-2 Pro:

"On the AD side the ADI-2 Pro offers four filters: Short Delay Sharp, Short Delay Slow, Sharp and Slow... SD Sharp and Sharp offer the most linear frequency response and highest suppression of mirroring (aliasing) at high frequency input signals. SD Slow and Slow try to combine a high aliasing suppression with an optimal impulse response, but start to act early within the higher audible range at standard sample rates."

"Please also note that Slow and NOS filters cause much more aliasing into the audio band and out-of-band noise than Sharp filters."

[Highlighting mine.]

They use a single sample impulse as the analogue source signal to measure the impulse response, which is so far from anything occuring in the real world, and therefore real music, it's ridiculous IMO. (I'm sure this applies to electronic music too.)

These things are quite easy to test with software such as DeltaWave. It's easy to show that the best nulls are achieved using sharp/brickwall linear-phase filters (in both ADCs and DACs). But they've been around a long time and don't sound very sexy. I mean, which of "apodizing" or "FIR" sounds better from a marketing POV?

The only good reason I can think of for opting for anything other than a linear-phase filter is latency, which can be a consideration in professional audio and AV.

Mani.

Main: SOtM sMS-200 -> Okto dac8PRO -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Tune Audio Anima horns + 2x Rotel RB-1590 amps -> 4 subs

Home Office: SOtM sMS-200 -> MOTU UltraLite-mk5 -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Impulse H2 speakers

Vinyl: Technics SP10 / London (Decca) Reference -> Trafomatic Luna -> RME ADI-2 Pro

8 hours ago, Jud said:

With modern ADCs operating in the MHz range...

Yes, but remember, that's not the sample rate. My RME uses a modern S-D ADC chip, and yet there's aliasing in the audioband when using one of its 'sloppy' filters.

Mani.

Main: SOtM sMS-200 -> Okto dac8PRO -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Tune Audio Anima horns + 2x Rotel RB-1590 amps -> 4 subs

Home Office: SOtM sMS-200 -> MOTU UltraLite-mk5 -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Impulse H2 speakers

Vinyl: Technics SP10 / London (Decca) Reference -> Trafomatic Luna -> RME ADI-2 Pro

12 hours ago, manisandher said:

How you could imagine that there's any content (signal, noise and/or distortion) >fs/2 in a digital audio file with a sample rate of fs is beyond me. But there you go.

Digital file represents all the spectral replicas from my last picture, but of course only the content below fs/2 is of interest. If you would convert it to analog without filtering, you would get those replicas at output too. DACs use filtering of high frequency content, therefore one can see full amplitude spectral replicas rather only in pictures describing sampling theory but not at usual DAC output. But that's the principle. Digital file codes them all.

12 hours ago, manisandher said:

You're conflating filtering in D/A conversion with filtering in A/D conversion.

My intention in that part of my post was to point to a difference between upsampling and downsampling in relation to spectral replicas and to point to relation of aliasing to overlapping spectral replicas.

Oversampling and delta sigma modulation is used in both delta sigma ADCs and DACs. So part of operations in both cases are similar. ADCs and DACs use both analog and digital filtering, just in reversed order.

i7 11850H + RTX A2000 Win11 HQPlayer ► Topping HS02 ► 2x iFi iSilencer ► SMSL D300 ► DIY headamp DHA1 ► HiFiMan HE-500
6 hours ago, manisandher said:

They use a single sample impulse as the analogue source signal to measure the impulse response, which is so far from anything occuring in the real world, and therefore real music,

Have you done any analysis to determine, for example, what triggers the “Apod” counter In HQPlayer?

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

44 minutes ago, manisandher said:

It's been a long while since I looked into HQP's filters. Once I discovered that sharp FIR filters null to <-210dB in the audioband, I just stopped looking altogether. I'm totally content with all my ADCs/DACs being set to brickwall filters.

If/when I get some time, I might revisit this because I find it really interesting. And as you've said, there must be a reason why some really smart people offer filters other than sharp FIR. But right now, I can't see why from a SQ perspective.

Edit: Quite a while ago now, I recall sharing a few posts with @Miskaabout this - I asked why anything other than FIRs are used. I can't remember what he said exactly, but something about correcting errors in the audio, I think.

Mani.

Yeah Mani. If you find a good answer to this other than people not wanting to see Gibbs pre-ringing in the DAC impulse response output (not in itself a good reason IMO), let me know... 

Archimago's Musings: A "more objective" take for the Rational Audiophile.

Beyond mere fidelity, into immersion and realism.

:nomqa: R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.

1 hour ago, manisandher said:

I can't remember what he said exactly, but something about correcting errors in the audio, I think.

Yep, he’s said as much here. What I’m curious about, since you’re not going to find the one-sample impulse in real music, is what sorts of errors those are. I know Miska has been less than complimentary about the results of some ADC processing for popular music.

14 hours ago, bogi said:

Digital file represents all the spectral replicas from my last picture, but of course only the content below fs/2 is of interest. If you would convert it to analog without filtering, you would get those replicas at output too. DACs use filtering of high frequency content, therefore one can see full amplitude spectral replicas rather only in pictures describing sampling theory but not at usual DAC output. But that's the principle. Digital file codes them all.

What you're describing is caused by the DAC. It's not because there is higher frequency content in the data, as that's not physically possible. 

6 hours ago, danadam said:

I can see how it can be too abstract interpretation for some, but it makes sense to me...

I agree with everything you've written 🙂.

... a file with sampling frequency fs contains a signal with bandwidth fs/2...

This is the point I've been making.

But I also totally agree with the following:

The spectrum of the impulse train is infinite, with copies of the baseband at each side of multiples of fs, so the samples also represent an infinite spectrum with copies of the baseband at each side of multiplies of fs...

And this is where measurements of the analogue output of DAC into the MHz region become important (to prevent IMD).

Thanks for your post. I think it sums everything up nicely.

Mani.

9 hours ago, Currawong said:

What you're describing is caused by the DAC. It's not because there is higher frequency content in the data, as that's not physically possible.

Not right. Sampling theory does not speak about DAC. It tells that the sampled digital content represents all the spectral replicas.

15 hours ago, danadam said:

And just to be clear, no one is saying (certainly not @bogi) that a digital file can represent any arbitrary frequency above fs/2. That would be ridiculous. Only images/copies of the baseband, and that's a pretty big restriction.

This is actually not quite correct.

A system sampling at Fs can represent a signal of any frequency, provided that this signal's spectrum does not occupy a stretch exceeding Fs/2 in length on the frequency axis. In other words, the band of interest is no longer the traditional baseband 0 - Fs/2, but rather Fo - Fo+Fs/2. Upon reconstruction the correct image has to be selected by a band filter.

This property is used in telecomms, and also in MQA. This is exactly how they, given an Fs=96kHz original,  'fold' the signal range of 24-48kHz into an Fs=48kHz distribution file.

16 hours ago, danadam said:

Only images/copies of the baseband, and that's a pretty big restriction.

44 minutes ago, Fokus said:

A system sampling at Fs can represent a signal of any frequency, provided that this signal's spectrum does not occupy a stretch exceeding Fs/2 in length on the frequency axis. In other words, the band of interest is no longer the traditional baseband 0 - Fs/2, but rather Fo - Fo+Fs/2. Upon reconstruction the correct image has to be selected by a band filter.

It looks to me that danadam is telling the same and that you both are speaking about the same restriction, only with different language.

When danadam's baseband is (0, fs/2) and two bands of it are processed/filtered differently, it is still true that without any filtering all spectral images reflect that baseband (they cannot be independent). That's danadam's point of view.

But those two bands (as parts of the same danadam's baseband) can contain independent signals, which can be filtered to be output as part of different spectral replicas (images). Thats Fokus's point of view.

At least how I understood it. :D

22 hours ago, Fokus said:

This property is used in telecomms, and also in MQA. This is exactly how they, given an Fs=96kHz original,  'fold' the signal range of 24-48kHz into an Fs=48kHz distribution file.

Are there some good, visual examples of this? When I've looked at MQA files, all I've seen is a strip of noise spanning a few dB at the highest frequencies, which supposedly contains the higher-frequency data. 

But showing how bad the filters are is important and one of the defining characteristics of mqa.

Current:  Daphile on an AMD A10-9500 with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Amplification - Benchmark AHB2 amplifier

Speakers - Revel M126Be with 2 REL 7/ti subwoofers

Cables - Tara Labs RSC Reference and Blue Jean Cable Balanced Interconnects

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/5/2023 at 3:38 PM, manisandher said:

It's been a long while since I looked into HQP's filters. Once I discovered that sharp FIR filters null to <-210dB in the audioband, I just stopped looking altogether. I'm totally content with all my ADCs/DACs being set to brickwall filters.

If/when I get some time, I might revisit this because I find it really interesting. And as you've said, there must be a reason why some really smart people offer filters other than sharp FIR. But right now, I can't see why from a SQ perspective.

Edit: Quite a while ago now, I recall sharing a few posts with @Miskaabout this - I asked why anything other than FIRs are used. I can't remember what he said exactly, but something about correcting errors in the audio, I think.

Mani.

Apart from baked-in aliases near Nyqist on some recordings that apodizing filters can help shaving off there are some old masterings with lots of glitches or loud masterings with digital clipping – thereby essentially containing illegal step functions that do will evoke the anti-imaging filter's famous step response. Similarly, there are some masterings with undamped energy right up to fs/2 so that even brickwall filters with a bandwidth of 0.99*fs/2 (and cut-off frequency <= fs/2) will get excited with.

So, if one wishes to reduce the 'dreaded ringing' with the playback of those recordings a broader transition band (e. g. a couple of thousand Hertz wide) can be chosen.

I am not making any claims about the ringing's audibility (or lack thereof). :-)

[ Foobar2000 (with Resampler-V & SACD-Decoder) on mobile Skylake ]  —>  [ Stereo192-DSD ]  —>  [ 851A ] —> [ 805S or HD560S ]