IGNORED

Compare and Contrast...

Chorus

On 10/17/2023 at 10:30 AM, audiobomber said:

Musicians often own crap audio systems, but undeniably love music.

Audiophiles often own crap audio systems that don't sound like live music. Apparently, that's not their objective. Some audiophile even brag that they never listen to live music.

8 hours ago, Tam Lin said:

Audiophiles often own crap audio systems that don't sound like live music. Apparently, that's not their objective. Some audiophile even brag that they never listen to live music.

I think they listen to live music, but they listen to the 'wrong things', in the totality of what reaches their ears. If you switch on the analytical mode, in your brain, and lock onto detecting certain characteristics in what you hear, then it's highly likely you will miss the "big picture", :).

It's the only reason I can come up with for audio enthusiasts being able to tolerate truly awful music reproduction - the sort of thing that sends 'normal' people from the room as fast as their feet can carry them ... :P :D.

Just now, fas42 said:

I think they listen to live music, but they listen to the 'wrong things', in the totality of what reaches their ears. If you switch on the analytical mode, in your brain, and lock onto detecting certain characteristics in what you hear, then it's highly likely you will miss the "big picture", :).

It's the only reason I can come up with for audio enthusiasts being able to tolerate truly awful music reproduction - the sort of thing that sends 'normal' people from the room as fast as their feet can carry them ... :P :D.

I’ve never read anything more insane in my life. 

There’s no such thing as listening to the wrong things at a live performance. Listen to whatever you want. There’s no rules about seeing a big picture either. 

Your horse is a bit high on this one. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

10 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I’ve never read anything more insane in my life. 

There’s no such thing as listening to the wrong things at a live performance. Listen to whatever you want. There’s no rules about seeing a big picture either. 

Your horse is a bit high on this one. 

So, you have never listened to a system which is being demonstrated by the proud owner, and thought, "My goodness! How can they think this is sounding good!" ... ?

You can happily have these thoughts, without saying a word to the other - a hobby is a hobby, and there are no rules regarding what those "into it" can and should do ...

1 minute ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Seems like a completely different topic from listening to the wrong thing at a live performance. 

Listening for the 'wrong things' - the quotes are meant to indicate that it's up the the reader to interpret what that is - is what audio people do all the time. An acoustics engineer in a concert hall couldn't give a damn about the beauty of the instrument being played; he's listening to how the echoes are bouncing around the space - because that's what he's paid for, to be there!

I have had so many occasions over the years visiting the audio friend up the road, where in the interim he got stuck on some technical aspect to the sound, and had managed to derail the SQ by doing so - meaning, it just wasn't pleasant to listen to the music; as compared to the previous visit. For me, the latter is the highest priority; it comes before all technical fidgeting, say trying to get some recording to have a particular characteristic be more distinct.

1 hour ago, fas42 said:

Listening for the 'wrong things' - the quotes are meant to indicate that it's up the the reader to interpret what that is - is what audio people do all the time. An acoustics engineer in a concert hall couldn't give a damn about the beauty of the instrument being played; he's listening to how the echoes are bouncing around the space - because that's what he's paid for, to be there!

You’re talking about something that doesn’t exist. It isn’t possible to listen to right or wrong things. Whatever you enjoy or hate or listen for or not, is neither right nor wrong. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

As someone who enjoys collecting generalisations, this thread it turning into a nice little goldmine.

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.

5 hours ago, fas42 said:

Most people don't collect generalisations ... :)

The above is almost certainly true.

But how wrong the below is:

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.

People who prefer to listen to music instead of providing answers to meaningless polls.

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

• 2 weeks later...

Ah, he's back ... ain't it the truth, people who don't run with the pack are always 'weird', ^_^.

Luckily, there are always some who want to really understand, rather than nervously checking to make sure that their thinking is in alignment with those around them ...

3 minutes ago, fas42 said:

Luckily, there are always some who want to really understand, rather than nervously checking to make sure that their thinking is in alignment with those around them ...

Good thing we don’t need to fall into either one of those black or white groups. 

1 hour ago, The Computer Audiophile said:
1 hour ago, fas42 said:

Good thing we don’t need to fall into either one of those black or white groups. 

It seems to me that those "who really want to understand" rarely fit into either group, habitually running with or without the pack. There is a difference between attention seeking contrarianism and independent thought seeking understanding.

Sound Minds Mind Sound

On 10/16/2023 at 11:39 AM, Chorus said:

Who is the truest "Music Lover"

A. The person with the most amazing sounding audio system

B. The person with the best music collection

C. The person who closes their eyes when listening to music

Defend your answer

The one who is moved by the music. There is likely no metric, (and no defense necessary) 😃

Sound Minds Mind Sound

People close their eyes to temporarily disable the visual system and be able to focus more on the music (basic neurology). Some people don't need to do that to love music, some may value the visuals as a part of the music experience, e.g. live music. Some people have to MOVE to the music. Doing that blind can be dangerous,

12 hours ago, bhupender12a said:

People close their eyes to temporarily disable the visual system and be able to focus more on the music (basic neurology). Some people don't need to do that to love music, some may value the visuals as a part of the music experience, e.g. live music. Some people have to MOVE to the music. Doing that blind can be dangerous,

@bhupender12a—Is there a reason that you reposted my comment as your own?

16 minutes ago, GregWormald said:

@bhupender12a—Is there a reason that you reposted my comment as your own?

I hope it was an accident, but this is often used by spammers and scammers to get their user account working in a community. I missed this one. 

With a country flag of Germany, a timezone of Kolkata, and connection through a server behind CloudFlare, I'm leaning toward scammer. Hope I'm wrong.

Thanks for saying something. 

I think if you feel that there is something missing in whatever it is your doing without music playing (in the background or otherwise) then you may be considered a music lover. Or, maybe you could be considered music dependent?

Good or bad, I believe I fall in the later camp.

A few exceptions to the above would be:

When watching TV

OR

While out in nature

Other than that, I am dependent on music