IGNORED

Article: Music - Ultimate Guide To High End Immersive Audio

@The Computer Audiophile, an excellent overview, and I am, as you know, a big fan of the Atmos format and definitely appreciate the ever burgeoning content being released.  I am certainly looking forward to commercial streaming of lossless Atmos content.  

I will take issue with but one point in your fine article. Although very little new to my knowledge is being issued in discrete 5.1 or quad multichannel, there are several thousand albums in this format — all lossless — which most audio systems set up for Dolby Atmos can play and their owners should still consider. Some of these legacy MCH mixes are, in my opinion, far better to listen to than the lossy, and even in some cases the lossless, Atmos mixes that have been released to date. I will offer one (perhaps blasphemous) example. To my (admittedly poor) ears, the 2003 30th Anniversary Mix of Pink Floyd’s DSOTM, available on SACD (which can be ripped to a hard drive), uses the surround channels better than the side/rear of the TrueHD lossless Atmos mix. I hear it in particular on the track “Us And Them,” as those words are sung and spin around the room.

Of course, at this point, there are still many discrete, and very good, MCH albums that have yet to be re-mixed and re-mastered for Atmos, and discrete MCH is the only way currently to listen to such surround mixes.  Two discrete MCH album examples are Dire Straits’s “Brothers In Arms” and Elton John’s “Goodbye Yellow Brick Road” (two tracks of which are currently available in Atmos).  “Watermelon Man” from Herbie Hancock’s “Head Hunters” album, in 5.1 MCH is truly mind-bending.  I encourage readers who set up Atmos systems of 5.1.2 or larger to compare discrete MCH for themselves. JCR 

Excellent article CC. There is an mmersive download site you forgot to mention, Immersive Album Audio. Not a ton of Atmos but they also have traditional 5.1 mixes as well as Auro 3D. There are some fine jazz Atmos available there. There is new fine immersive  mix that not many are aware of as it is only available on Blu ray with DTS Master Audio 5.1  and that Is Lee Ritenour Overtime. Great music with a  great surround mic and even 1080p video. For those, like me, interested in such things. This is a go to mix for me, it is that good.

The other notable immersive audio format is ADM BWF master file. Although it's for Dolby Atmos mainly but it still can be opened on DAW which supports it as discrete, lossless MCH tracks. I've heard at least two recording studios in Taiwan plan to release such format for indies / ytubers in the near future.

"What about the holy grail of discrete immersive audio? This is available from 2L and TRPTK as downloads for purchase. They aren’t cheap, but I believe they are worth every penny."

Wonderful sounding recordings for sure!

But why DXD for consumer listening, what the heck is there to be gained

from running the sampling rate up to a ridiculous 24/352.8 ? 

An outrageous waste of bandwidth simply to win at a numbers game!

"The gullibility of audiophiles is what astonishes me the most, even after all these years. How is it possible, how did it ever happen, that they trust fairy-tale purveyors and mystic gurus more than reliable sources of scientific information?"

Peter Aczel - The Audio Critic

nomqa.webp.aa713f2bb9e304522011cdb2d2ca907d.webp  R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.

1 hour ago, Sal1950 said:

"What about the holy grail of discrete immersive audio? This is available from 2L and TRPTK as downloads for purchase. They aren’t cheap, but I believe they are worth every penny."

Wonderful sounding recordings for sure!

But why DXD for consumer listening, what the heck is there to be gained

from running the sampling rate up to a ridiculous 24/352.8 ? 

An outrageous waste of bandwidth simply to win at a numbers game!

I hear you Sal. I’d be cool with discrete immersive at a much lower rate, but for now it’s DXD. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

• 2 weeks later...
23 hours ago, bbosler said:

It has arrived  !!!

image.jpeg.d4ca197c242e356a4cf2d46f7d00f5f7.jpeg

Got mine, too.  Ripped all versions from the Blu-Ray :) but still frustrated at the limited number of ways one can play the Dolby Atmos mix.

Easiest for me (at least) is from my Sony Blu-Ray player 🤷‍♂️ but I'd prefer being able to play it back from my music server, but Roon doesn't support .MKV files or Atmos playback (at all).  I was able to get it playing back through my AppleTV using Infuze, but would prefer Plex ... which doesn't appear to "see" the .MKV, at all :(

In any case, great sound in ALL the formats - very enjoyable.

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

4 minutes ago, jhwalker said:

Got mine, too.  Ripped all versions from the Blu-Ray :) but still frustrated at the limited number of ways one can play the Dolby Atmos mix.

Easiest for me (at least) is from my Sony Blu-Ray player 🤷‍♂️ but I'd prefer being able to play it back from my music server, but Roon doesn't support .MKV files or Atmos playback (at all).  I was able to get it playing back through my AppleTV using Infuze, but would prefer Plex ... which doesn't appear to "see" the .MKV, at all :(

In any case, great sound in ALL the formats - very enjoyable.

Here’s one easy way - 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

20 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Here’s one easy way - 

I JUST remembered this method.  Re-ripped just the "movie" (BMDV) file using MakeMKV, saved it as an MKV, uploaded to my server and Bob's your uncle - playing back right now via NVIDIA Shield Pro TV :)

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

• 2 months later...