IGNORED

HiFi Rose RS130 network transport

Didn't find much info on this site at all about this device.  Anyone happen to have given it a go and has some thoughts?

I'm looking into an all in one dedicated transport (AES out) and this hooks interesting

I guess I'd want to know how it compares to the Grimm Audio MU1, Aurender N30SA, and other contenders.

thanks!

image.thumb.png.92fe3d6567c492fcf3b4d2818174bb9d.png

main Beefy Gaming PC > Roon > HQPlayer DSD512 ASDM7EC-super 512+fs sinc-long > Holo Red > Holo May KTE > Pass XP-27 > Pass XA-25 > Zu Audio Definition IV > Zu Audio Event Interconnects

work m1MBP > Roon > HQPlayer 24/192 PCM NS9 poly-sinc-gauss-xla > regular ass USB 3.0 cable > RME Fireface UFX III > Grimm AES cable > Genelec 8361a + w371a

• 2 weeks later...

I received mine yesterday. It's a really nice looking device. I will do a sound quality comparison between the holo red audio to the DAC200 using AES at some point. One knock on it already is it is not Roon certified yet(so cannot be used). It should be here in the next 2 to 4 weeks though.

I have a 130 and have owned the 250A and 150B.

The 130 is a beautiful piece of audio bling. It's not just a pretty face. It's built like a tank and the components are first rate and has a very advanced design such as optical cabling. It's a noticeably better product than the 250A or 150B. The sound quality is superb. This isn't too surprising since there is no built in DAC, it's just a Transport.

The major downside is the software.  You have to understand that the 130 is not entirely a consumer product. It is unbelievably comprehensive in what it does and is capable of doing. I've looked at the competition and nothing is really close in terms of features. For example it has an internal Graphics card that produces 4kHDMI for my projector TV. Nobody else does that.

Capability adds complexity of operation.

The software works, it's beautiful and it's stable. It never freezes or crashes.  There are more alternatives, options and settings than you can imagine. However, there are bits and pieces which are maddeningly unintuitive. Things that could make the interface easier to operate are not where you would expect them. This isn't helped by the fact that there is no functional user manual for the software. It took me the better part of a month to feel comfortable with the software and I'm an EE.

On the plus side, there is a very active user group online pushing for things (including me). To its credit HiFi Rose support responds within hours.  

If you're the type of person who wants to plug it in and play, this is not for you. You could do that but it would be a waste of money. This is a much more serious piece of kit meant to be tweaked and adjusted to your heart's content. If you are the type of person who loves to tweak, it's audio Nirvana.

StandardModel

34 minutes ago, StandardModel said:

I have a 130 and have owned the 250A and 150B.

The 130 is a beautiful piece of audio bling. It's not just a pretty face. It's built like a tank and the components are first rate and has a very advanced design such as optical cabling. It's a noticeably better product than the 250A or 150B. The sound quality is superb. This isn't too surprising since there is no built in DAC, it's just a Transport.

The major downside is the software.  You have to understand that the 130 is not entirely a consumer product. It is unbelievably comprehensive in what it does and is capable of doing. I've looked at the competition and nothing is really close in terms of features. For example it has an internal Graphics card that produces 4kHDMI for my projector TV. Nobody else does that.

Capability adds complexity of operation.

The software works, it's beautiful and it's stable. It never freezes or crashes.  There are more alternatives, options and settings than you can imagine. However, there are bits and pieces which are maddeningly unintuitive. Things that could make the interface easier to operate are not where you would expect them. This isn't helped by the fact that there is no functional user manual for the software. It took me the better part of a month to feel comfortable with the software and I'm an EE.

On the plus side, there is a very active user group online pushing for things (including me). To its credit HiFi Rose support responds within hours.  

If you're the type of person who wants to plug it in and play, this is not for you. You could do that but it would be a waste of money. This is a much more serious piece of kit meant to be tweaked and adjusted to your heart's content. If you are the type of person who loves to tweak, it's audio Nirvana.

StandardModel

Sounds really fun for some of us :~)

Is it still based on Android?

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

4 hours ago, SPAZ said:

Yes, based on 7.1 still.

And we are at 13 now with Android, that is quite a bit of security patches among other things. Being based on such an old OS version, to me, is scary.

Current:  Daphile on an AMD A10-9500 with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Amplification - Benchmark AHB2 amplifier

Speakers - Revel M126Be with 2 REL 7/ti subwoofers

Cables - Tara Labs RSC Reference and Blue Jean Cable Balanced Interconnects

The hardware of the 130 looks really nice. 

One thing that has fooled a lot of people, including HiFi Rose dealers, is the claimed support for Apple Music. 

Look at the wording of this from the RS130 page. 

IMG_9992.jpeg

That has lead many people to believe HiFi Rose supports “all existing features” of Apple Music, including lossless and even high resolution audio. However, HiFi Rose uses the same API that anyone can use, and can only access lossy versions of the music. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

• 3 weeks later...

I owned the 150B and already have a couple of external DACs so swapped it out for the RS130.  The RS130 sounds noticeably better than the 150b (which I think sounds very good).  The differences are more profound when using the optical connection.  I'm using a Corning Single-Mode cable connecting two Finisar FTLF1318P3BTL SFPs and also have a Cisco multi-mode SFP-10G-AOC2M 2M Cable/SFP package to experiment with as well.  Looking forward to getting the final Roon certification in the next few weeks.

RoseConnect is fine, but I prefer Roon for ease of use.  It sounds like it shouldn't be too long.  I have an easier time with playlists, finding the "right" version of an album, and just all-around information with Roon.  I actually have two RS130s, one which replaces an Optical Rendu and the one that I mentioned earlier replacing the RS150.  I always use RoseConnect on the 150 to 130 because I often use the RoseTube output to my 4K TV in that room and have even done video playlists for parties.  It's a way underrated feature if you have a TV in the same room as your rig.

• 2 weeks later...

I had RS 130 as a demo ,  fiber Ethernet sounded the best , removes need for an expensive Ethernet switches .

It seems to be caching track on the local ssd and can play entire song without any network connection, I find it good way to test if my Ethernet is adding anything to the sound .

7 hours ago, Datka said:

I had RS 130 as a demo ,  fiber Ethernet sounded the best , removes need for an expensive Ethernet switches .

It seems to be caching track on the local ssd and can play entire song without any network connection, I find it good way to test if my Ethernet is adding anything to the sound .

Fiber ethernet sounded best? Better than playing the entire song without any network connection?

audio system

5 hours ago, bodiebill said:

Fiber ethernet sounded best? Better than playing the entire song without any network connection?

I was using my focal stelia to better capture sound and compare  , I was unable to hear difference after unplugging fiber cable within 2-3 seconds after playback started ( it seems to only take few seconds for rose to cache a Qobous track . 
however regular Ethernet behaved differently, while small change was still there, and Music sounded better if I would unplug ethernet cable after would start. 

47 minutes ago, Datka said:

I was using my focal stelia to better capture sound and compare  , I was unable to hear difference after unplugging fiber cable within 2-3 seconds after playback started ( it seems to only take few seconds for rose to cache a Qobous track . 
however regular Ethernet behaved differently, while small change was still there, and Music sounded better if I would unplug ethernet cable after would start. 

Thanks. Apparently the fiber network connection does not do much harm when it no longer carries an audio stream. Good to hear as unplugging is a bit of a chore.

audio system

4 hours ago, bodiebill said:

Thanks. Apparently the fiber network connection does not do much harm when it no longer carries an audio stream. Good to hear as unplugging is a bit of a chore.

Fiber helps to block RF noise, and with it caching steaming content I can’t imagine how audiophile network would help here , maybe if you use Roon or any other stream that requires constant network connection but with native qouboz streaming it caching track inside local nvme drive and playing content from it.

Quite an upgrade to my Sonore optocalrendu.. 

I’ve tried Innous zenith 3 and Auralic ares 2.1 . 

RS130 is best sounding streamer I’ve tried so far