IGNORED

Release of Sonic Orbiter Operating System v2.9 for the Rendu Series

On 7/25/2023 at 10:09 AM, charlesphoto said:

Hi Jesus. Will there be any reason to update to 2.9 if one only has the oR Lite Roon model? 

Please note the reasons listed above as it was just updated and understand that this is not a mandatory update for anyone.  

19 hours ago, R1200CL said:

Will playback start faster when using Roon?

You mean adding storage on the SonicTransporter ? (Which has been possible for a long time).

Planned release ?

This portion of the update deals with the operating system and the USB stack and nothing to do with Roon and RoonReady per say. However, overall the playback from start to finish should be faster for each of the output protocols.  

I have not mention storage on the Sonic Transporter so I'm not sure what you are asking. Remember that LMS can stream music directly from Tidal, Spotify, Qobuz, etc, over the network without the need for storage. LMS can also play local content stored on the Sonic Transporter and that is where having storage and a powerful CPU is beneficial.    

I don't have an update on the release of 2.9 for the Sonic Transporter. It's a big project and requires coordination with the developers of the servers onboard and will take time.   

I’m not aware on any such limitation with the operating system. There are things we can check on the hardware side and perhaps there are specific settings on the server that are needed. I don’t have the hardware to test this, but others have tried it and it works. 

On 7/30/2023 at 2:32 PM, mbain said:

The Rendu series has provided me with many hours of improved sonics compared to previously used digital front end.  However understanding the mechanisms involved requires more understanding of the computer platform than I possess.  As a result I spend too much time needing to “ figure things out.”

What kind of issue were you having?

On 7/30/2023 at 10:29 AM, R1200CL said:

My assumption is that if you don’t upgrade, you won’t receive any further maintenance upgrades for version 2.8. 

Maybe Jesus can confirm?

And will upgrade price rise at a later stage? Like, no free shipping. 

We will prioritize updates to the operating system for the latest version. We will always consider updates for previous version if something breaks, but we will generally not add additional support for previous versions. No idea what will happen with the cost in the future.

1 hour ago, BCRich said:

@vortecjr Hi Jesus,

I am on my second mSD Card with V2.9 and still no IP Address on my Signature Rendu SE Optical. If I put 2.8 back in I get an IP Address immediately.

Red LED on the back, doesn’t go to amber or green. Getting frustrating. Both of these cards shipped from Small Green Computer.

Please advise; I don’t think I am doing anything wrong on my end. Power Down, disconnect the Power Cable, remove existing mSD Card and insert the new one. Plug in Power Up…..

Thanks….Mike

That unit may need to go to SGC for a look see. If the OS does not like the CPU we need to look into it throughly and that requires removing the CPU. We can get it to work though even if it means swapping out the CPU. Contact SGC when you are ready.  

On 8/7/2023 at 8:22 PM, amsco15 said:

edit: I had the Rendu name as Dale’sRendu (also tried Dale’s Rendu).  The Rendu software does not like the apostrophe.  Showed up as soon as I removed it.  I don’t recall what I called the Rendu in 2.8 but likely used the apostrophe.  

Good catch.

On 8/17/2023 at 6:04 PM, simon_pepper said:

I see that SonoreUPnP Bridge is just not working, it is not part of the available apps shipped on the SD card.

Is there the intention to continue support for this element, where it will be made available in an update to SO 2.9 or that it, it stays on SO 2.8?

Anyway I have returned back to SO 2.8, so I can continue to use SonoreUPnP Bridge to provide the Bridge between Roon and my Naim NDS player.

For right now its on 2.8 if you need this feature. The other option is the Pi based unit that is available on the SGC website.   

3 minutes ago, simon_pepper said:

Yes, I do need this feature, it is used every day for my Naim NDS.

Have no intention of spending on another box, to replace something provided & supported with SonicOrbiterOS, plus the referenced Pi based dedicated unit is not available.

Given the SonicTransporter products also provides for the SonoreUPnP Bridge, also with an installed base, when does this move to SonicOrbiterOS 2.9?

Understood. The information was meant for others reading the post so they know the options.

SonicOrbiter OS 2.9 for the SonicTransporter series is under development, but I dont have a ETA at the moment.  

On 8/25/2023 at 9:37 PM, Guarnerian said:

I've also experienced connection issues with my ultraRendu roughly every 24 hours. While the sound quality has vastly improved and I'd like to stay on v2.9, this problem is becoming quite bothersome. I'm using it as a Roon endpoint as well.

That can be a router lease time setting. Try to log into your router and bump lease time to its max.

29 minutes ago, Guarnerian said:

Thank you for the swift advice. On my dial-up router which distributes DHCP in my network, I cannot adjust the DHCP lease time. Furthermore, under previous OS versions, my ultraRendu operated flawlessly for more than 24 hours in this setting. I haven't observed such connection dropouts with any other network equipment either. I wonder if there were any significant changes regarding the network functionality in v2.9?

If you are able to manage the Rendu then try going to settings and press save to restore playback.