IGNORED

The best audio system in the world regardless of price (according to A.I.)

On 5/12/2023 at 10:50 PM, sphinxsix said:

In pop music everyone copies patterns copied by everyone, period. Sometimes trends change a bit but the scheme remains the same.

On 5/12/2023 at 10:51 PM, The Computer Audiophile said:

I have no idea what you're talking about.

Let me enlighten you, Chris. Let's take into consideration the yesterday Eurovision winner.

This song is based on the following chord progression (4 chords are typical maximum number in case of pop):

G#m B D#m F# 

Here you will find some of the songs based on these chords:

just some of them

As you can all that stuff that everyone on this planet knows which includes among others:

..is based on exactly the same 4 chords. What difference will it make whether the next one will be written by a human or by AI.? Your claim that in case of a human this work will be full of emotion and in case of AI it will be cold as ice is IMO not convincing, these are just 4 basic chords, whichever way you'll (or it'll) put them together they will sound similar.

This is not Shostakovich or the string theory of the universe, these are just goddamn 4 simple chords, end of the story 😏

25 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I don’t know how your brain and “logic” work.

GPT:

The human brain is a complex organ that controls our thoughts, feelings, and behaviors. It is made up of billions of nerve cells, or neurons, that communicate with each other through electrical and chemical signals.

At a high level, the brain can be divided into different regions that are responsible for specific functions. For example, the frontal lobe is responsible for decision-making, planning, and problem-solving, while the temporal lobe is responsible for memory and language processing.

When we experience something, like seeing a picture or hearing a sound, the sensory information is first processed in the sensory areas of the brain. From there, the information is sent to other regions of the brain for further processing and interpretation.

Neurons communicate with each other through synapses, which are small gaps between the cells. When an electrical signal reaches the end of a neuron, it triggers the release of neurotransmitters, which are chemical messengers that cross the synapse and bind to receptors on the next neuron. This process allows information to be transmitted from one neuron to the next, creating a neural network that underlies our thoughts, feelings, and behaviors.

The brain is also capable of learning and adapting through a process called neuroplasticity. This means that the connections between neurons can change and strengthen over time based on our experiences and the environment around us.

Overall, the human brain is an incredibly complex and sophisticated organ that is still not fully understood by scientists. However, through ongoing research and technological advancements, we continue to learn more about how it works and how we can use this knowledge to improve our lives.  😉

Maybe let's go back to music, we still don't fully understand how our brains work after all, right? Some problem seems to be the fact that it's difficult to talk music separating it completely from our reaction to it which inevitably involves our brains. I would say that IMO the whole thing gets even more complicated by the fact that each brain works in a slightly different way, that's just one of the reasons why IMO we need a superbrain - in other words AI..

2 hours ago, PYP said:

Well, um, those songs are all very different, not only in how they sound but what they are inspired by (that is experiences in the world that includes corporeal experience) and what they are meant to communicate.  So, when the AI falls in love (with another AI or animal or human or a blue square shape, for example) and they write the inevitable break-up song, what does that mean?

In other words, when your Perfect Barbie simulation tells you that she loves you, do you believe her?  If not, why not?  You may say, "I don't really care," but that doesn't answer the question.  

So far, AI does not create anything original.  I assume that day will come, but I still don't believe it will come from emotion rather than logic.   It is still code, even if it writes the code itself or has its best friend AI that it met via an online AI dating site write the code (love at first code).  

Mankind has already been able to achieve large-scale carnage and destruction without any help.  Will AI simply provide better battle plans with better precision killing?  Assuming AI develops further, you don't get your AI-generated pop songs without the rest (check out what the Chinese government has already done to track its citizens).  

It is the logic of the programmers with all their built-in biases.

Current:  Daphile on an AMD A10-9500 with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Amplification - Benchmark AHB2 amplifier

Speakers - Revel M126Be with 2 REL 7/ti subwoofers

Cables - Tara Labs RSC Reference and Blue Jean Cable Balanced Interconnects

4 hours ago, PYP said:

So far, AI does not create anything original.  I assume that day will come, but I still don't believe it will come from emotion rather than logic.   It is still code, even if it writes the code itself or has its best friend AI that it met via an online AI dating site write the code (love at first code).  

Define, "original" ... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Originality.

Are we going to rely on good ol' "I know it when I see it!" handwaving to keep the dark clouds at bay ... ? :)

13 hours ago, PYP said:

Well, um, those songs are all very different, not only in how they sound but what they are inspired by (that is experiences in the world that includes corporeal experience) and what they are meant to communicate.  So, when the AI falls in love (with another AI or animal or human or a blue square shape, for example) and they write the inevitable break-up song, what does that mean?

In other words, when your Perfect Barbie simulation tells you that she loves you, do you believe her?  If not, why not?  You may say, "I don't really care," but that doesn't answer the question.  

So far, AI does not create anything original.  I assume that day will come, but

It is still code, even if it writes the code itself or has its best friend AI that it met via an online AI dating site write the code (love at first code).  

Mankind has already been able to achieve large-scale carnage and destruction without any help.  Will AI simply provide better battle plans with better precision killing?  Assuming AI develops further, you don't get your AI-generated pop songs without the rest (check out what the Chinese government has already done to track its citizens).  

First of all, I just love this post, it makes me doubt AI will ever get to such level of creativity, sophistication and humor!

13 hours ago, PYP said:

In other words, when your Perfect Barbie simulation tells you that she loves you, do you believe her?  If not, why not?

Can't answer that based on my own experience.. I really (not quite) regret. As I mentioned earlier some were heartbroken after their digital Barbies codes had been changed, so I believe there would be some who'd believe their Barbies.

13 hours ago, PYP said:

So far, AI does not create anything original.

Agree. Just like many human 'creators', I already said that.

13 hours ago, PYP said:

I assume that day will come

Same here. Miles Davis is regarded by many to be a person who 'invented' fusion, jazz-rock. IMO even an idea like that doesn't potentially have to be hard to create by a digital 'being'.

13 hours ago, PYP said:

I still don't believe it will come from emotion rather than logic.

How about it being derived from digitally analyzed human emotions. The basic human emotions, desires (love, hate, anger, greed etc) have actually not changed for thousands of years. How about AI analyzing them based on easily accessible material like literature (all Shakespeare's plays are IMO still 'valid' at their core in the contemporary times), all other forms of art etc.

Doesn't necessarily have to be hard to do. Creating new, emotionally engaging stuff based on that doesn't have to necessarily be a problem either.

13 hours ago, PYP said:

(love at first code).

Material for a play or a blockbuster movie, don't you think.?

Why wouldn't AI itself write the script for it, after all who knows better than it what AI love (to other AI or a blue square..) might look like.?

13 hours ago, PYP said:

Mankind has already been able to achieve large-scale carnage and destruction without any help.

True that.

13 hours ago, PYP said:

Will AI simply provide better battle plans with better precision killing?  Assuming AI develops further, you don't get your AI-generated pop songs without the rest

AI and especially eventual AGI is definitely a powerful tool, as such it carries a powerful both creative and destructive potential. We already agreed here that most probably lawmakers and law enforcement will have huge problems with keeping up with it. The whole process should be fast and wise (I guess in EU it will take eternity before the law on which they work is introduced.. same process has begun in the US, today's Reuters Washington is determined to govern AI, but how?).

As for 'my AI generated pop' - I simply hope that pop music created by machines will be better and cheaper than now (no pop stars in need of private zoos and multimillion mansions!), those poor chaps who listen to this s..t simply deserve it. You can call it my music lover's altruism..

One thing for me is certain - we live in interesting times! 

Cheers!

59 minutes ago, sphinxsix said:

How about it being derived from digitally analyzed human emotions. The basic human emotions, desires (love, hate, anger, greed etc) have actually not changed for thousands of years. How about AI analyzing them based on easily accessible material like literature (all Shakespeare's plays are IMO still 'valid' at their core in the contemporary times), all other forms of art etc.

Doesn't necessarily have to be hard to do. Creating new, emotionally engaging stuff based on that doesn't have to necessarily be a problem either.

Material for a play or a blockbuster movie, don't you think.?

Why wouldn't AI itself write the script for it, after all who knows better than it what AI love (to other AI or a blue square..) might look like.?

One thing for me is certain - we live in interesting times! 

Cheers!

It seems most likely that AI's first novel will be a romance because the formula is clearly established.  I assume it will feature humans in these early years of AI.  But at Microsoft plows more and more money into the bot's sophistication, the future may be human/AI romances for the ages.  

I leave it to your imagination to generate a picture of the cover (which AI would effortlessly generate from existing "art").  Bare-chested AI with rippling code and an unwitting human female wrapped submissively around its hologram.  Shameful!  Disturbing!  Will be translated in numerous languages (but not Fortran!) and earn millions!  And a worldwide book signing.  There will, of course, be a tie-in movie, action figure and other AI merch.  Fear not the AI since it will fall victim to commerce as have others before it.  We brought down the Soviet Union with Rocky movies.  It can be done again.  

Grimm Audio MU2 > Mola Mola Makua > Mola Mola Kaluga > B&W 803 D3    

Cables: Kubala-Sosna    Power management: Shunyata    Room: Vicoustics    Ethernet: Network Acoustics Muon Pro

“Nature is pleased with simplicity.”  Isaac Newton

"As neither the enjoyment nor the capacity of producing musical notes are faculties of the least use to man...they must be ranked among the most mysterious with which he is endowed."  Charles Darwin - The Descent of Man

47 minutes ago, PYP said:

It seems most likely that AI's first novel will be a romance because the formula is clearly established.

After reading that I actually asked myself - what would be easier for AI to create - a hit pop song or some free jazz or avantgarde music where there are practically no rules, so a possible order for it to perform could be eg: analyze everything that has been played up till now and based on that omit all old rules and create what hasn't been played yet.

Also thought about a personal AI creating stuff in accordance with its user's individual taste - e.g. give me an R'nB song with slightly funky bass line, low female vocal and lyrics about love for hybrid copper-silver audio cables..

5 minutes ago, sphinxsix said:

Also thought about a personal AI creating stuff in accordance with its user's individual taste - e.g. give me an R'nB song with slightly funky bass line, low female vocal and lyrics about love for hybrid copper-silver audio cables..

That seems very doable and relevant to this thread.

Cables: Kubala-Sosna    Power management: Shunyata    Room: Vicoustics    Ethernet: Network Acoustics Muon Pro

"As neither the enjoyment nor the capacity of producing musical notes are faculties of the least use to man...they must be ranked among the most mysterious with which he is endowed."  Charles Darwin - The Descent of Man

Paul McGowan (PS Audio) posted this quote a few days ago:

2,450 years ago, the Greek philosopher Plato wrote:

"“If men learn this, it will implant forgetfulness in their souls; they will cease to exercise memory because they rely on that which is written, calling things to remembrance no longer from within themselves, but by means of external marks. What you have discovered is a recipe not for memory, but for reminder. And it is no true wisdom that you offer your disciples, but only its semblance, for by telling them of many things without teaching them you will make them seem to know much, while for the most part they know nothing, and as men filled, not with wisdom, but with the conceit of wisdom, they will be a burden to their fellows.”

In any dispute the intensity of feeling is inversely proportional to the value of the issues at stake ~ Sayre's Law

54 minutes ago, NOMBEDES said:

"“If men learn this, it will implant forgetfulness in their souls; they will cease to exercise memory because they rely on that which is written, calling things to remembrance no longer from within themselves, but by means of external marks. What you have discovered is a recipe not for memory, but for reminder. And it is no true wisdom that you offer your disciples, but only its semblance, for by telling them of many things without teaching them you will make them seem to know much, while for the most part they know nothing, and as men filled, not with wisdom, but with the conceit of wisdom, they will be a burden to their fellows.”

One should remember that Plato's reservations about written knowledge should be understood in the historical context of his time. In ancient Greece, the oral tradition and the art of dialogue held significant importance in education and philosophy. Writing was a relatively new medium, and Plato was wary of its potential effects on memory and genuine understanding. There are always some who are scared of the new stuff and there are always some for whom the new stuff is a sign of the apocalypse being just around the corner. I've never subscribed to these views but now..

How about this?

Ca 2600 years ago another man said:

All compounded things are subject to decay. Strive with diligence!

53 minutes ago, NOMBEDES said:

Plato was an audiophile.  Probably the kind who closed his eyes when listened to music in his man cave.  If he were alive today, he would cover bright LEDs too.  

On 5/15/2023 at 2:42 AM, sphinxsix said:

GPT:

The human brain is a complex organ that controls our thoughts, feelings, and behaviors. It is made up of billions of nerve cells, or neurons, that communicate with each other through electrical and chemical signals.

[...]

AI is wrong. We can not control our thoughts, feelings, and behaviours. As a whole or with any separate organ of our body. Such a concept about the brain exist, true, but everyone would easily see the opposite from experience. 

6 hours ago, PYP said:

Plato was an audiophile.  Probably the kind who closed his eyes when listened to music in his man cave.  If he were alive today, he would cover bright LEDs too.  

Plato lived in blessed times when people were free from audio hardware. Therefore, he could not have been an audiophile. But he could hardly be classed as an meloman either, for he considered any form of art to be no more than imitation. 

29 minutes ago, AnotherSpin said:

Plato lived in blessed times when people were free from audio hardware. Therefore, he could not have been an audiophile. But he could hardly be classed as an meloman either, for he considered any form of art to be no more than imitation. 

I believe if you asked AI about Plato's listening habits, it would say, factually, that Plato didn't listen to vinyl, therefore he might not be considered an audiophile.  @sphinxsix would you ask the bot if Plato was an audiophile?  😉

Let's remember the A in AI = artificial.  

23 hours ago, PYP said:

That's impossible. He must have seen the shadows on the cave wall and even possibly see through them so he couldn't have closed his eyes or cover LEDs..

17 hours ago, AnotherSpin said:

We can not control our thoughts, feelings, and behaviours.

You mean till ca the end of the anal phase, right.?

16 hours ago, AnotherSpin said:

The present decline of the world is accompanied and illustrated by the decline of music. Degenerate music = degenerate world.

IMO only AI can change this 😉

BTW Plato:

"Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything."

1 hour ago, PYP said:

Meta is doubling down on open source. 

In my case one of the companies I trust the least.

1 hour ago, PYP said:

Within days of Meta’s A.I. release, the system leaked onto 4chan, the online message board known for spreading false and misleading information.

And maybe I'm right..

1 hour ago, PYP said:

More than a dozen tech companies see a potential booming market in developing A.I. tools that can spot A.I.-generated fakes — and plagiarism.

Is this maybe how the AI war will begin.? 🙄

Meanwhile Tesla robots have clearly learned how to not break an egg..

1 hour ago, fas42 said:

Pity about the Asimo walking gait ... :).

creepy.  period.  

how are these robots ever going to place an album on the turntable and handle the rest of the task reliably?