IGNORED

Article: Lossless TrueHD Atmos Just Got Much Easier

Chris,

Great update, and thanks for giving Garry his props.  He's amazing with this stuff.

Question: what happens when you choose a layout that is greater (or less) than the source layout (i.e choosing 9.1.6 on a 7.1.4 recording; or choosing 5.1 on a 7.1.4 recording).  Does the latter have a fold-down done, and where are the rules of the fold-down happening?  Does the former simply have silent wide channels?

I may be overlooking it, but is there a link to download this software?  Looking forward to giving it a try :)

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

4 minutes ago, ted_b said:

Chris,

Great update, and thanks for giving Garry his props.  He's amazing with this stuff.

Question: what happens when you choose a layout that is greater (or less) than the source layout (i.e choosing 9.1.6 on a 7.1.4 recording; or choosing 5.1 on a 7.1.4 recording).  Does the latter have a fold-down done, and where are the rules of the fold-down happening?  Does the former simply have silent wide channels?

With Atmos there is no source or destination format. The decoder uses the speakers selction and creates the mix, exactly as it does using the decoder in a processor.  If sound is in the side channels in the original mix, but the playback is on a 5.1.4 system, the side channel sound is place on the side by using the front and rear channels, the same way items are placed between the front two channels in stereo.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

17 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

@jrobbins50 you need to tell Garry to add 5.1.2 :~)

Oh my goodness, this would be a substantial time savings.  Yes, as you know, I do Dolby Atmos in 5.1.2 (which thus allows use of Roon for playback) and that isn't on Garry's list in the MMH update.  How do I contact him, Chris?

Also, I have MMH on my PC and the DRP on my Mac.  I don't recall, but will the DRP run on PC, as I assume the Mac alone doesn't have the horsepower for the decoding?  JCR

Update:  Nevermind the question on DRP for PC.  I note that I already have it installed on my CAPS20 server (I just haven't used it there), so all I need is MMH on the server, and Garry to update for 5.1.2.  :)

7 minutes ago, jrobbins50 said:

Oh my goodness, this would be a substantial time savings.  Yes, as you know, I do Dolby Atmos in 5.1.2 (which thus allows use of Roon for playback) and that isn't on Garry's list in the MMH update.  How do I contact him, Chris?

Also, I have MMH on my PC and the DRP on my Mac.  I don't recall, but will the DRP run on PC, as I assume the Mac alone doesn't have the horsepower for the decoding?  JCR

Just install DRP on your PC, then you're good. You don't even touch it. 

I'll tell Garry about your needs :~)

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

18 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Just install DRP on your PC, then you're good. You don't even touch it. 

I'll tell Garry about your needs :~)

Yes, I realize now that he is Homer, the moderator, at QuadraphonicQuad.  Whilst I've read that blog for many years, and have an account there, it was only my first posting to ask for 5.1.2, and I see that you beat me to it!

Thanks.  JCR

2 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I don’t understand the question. 

Will Tidal stream through this solution will full Atmos (NOT HD - I'm aware)?

I'm asking because I'm tired of buying disks, only to find out that the mix is crap.

Promise Pegasus2 R6 12TB -> Thunderbolt2 ->
MacBook Pro M1 Pro -> Motu 8D -> AES/EBU ->
Main: Genelec 5 x 8260A + 2 x 8250 + 2 x 8330 + 7271A sub
Boat: Genelec 8010 + 5040 sub

Hifiman Sundara, Sennheiser PXC 550 II
Blog: “Confessions of a DigiPhile”

11 hours ago, DigiPete said:

Will Tidal stream through this solution will full Atmos (NOT HD - I'm aware)?

I'm asking because I'm tired of buying disks, only to find out that the mix is crap.

Perhaps your answer is to listen to the Atmos mix via Apple Spacial Music streaming first, to hear it even though in lossy format. If you like it and there is a disc to purchase with the TrueHD lossless Atmos version on it, you can then buy with greater confidence as to what the mix is. JCR 

On 1/21/2023 at 8:07 PM, El Guapo said:

Short answer is no. So far only Apple Music on macOS can do such.

I'm confused by this.  What can you do in Apple Music on the MAC?