IGNORED

iTunes Audiophile Downloads

rlodad

A more accurate digitisation of a poor master is still pointless.

One of the insoluble problems of old digital files is the implementation of the anti-aliasing filter on the input. A good brick-wall filter does not exist and without one there will be aliasing products in the recorded signal.

Thankfully few of the golden age microphones produce much output above 15 kHz so there was rarely, if any, any higher frequency information than this on the input if older recordings.

Plenty of modern microphones have sensitivity up to 40kHz making 44/16 recordings without ugly anti-aliasing or filter artefacts unlikely nowadays.

Frank[br]Mac mini, Amarra, Pure vinyl, Resolution Cantata, Metric Halo LIO-8, dCs P8i,DeVialet 800, Goldmund Mim 20/36+/22/29.4, Epilog 1&2[br]Reference Turntable Ortofon Jubilee pickup

In my mind, the only benefit of making, say, 96/24 recordings available is for those albums which were originally recorded in a high enough (how high is "enough"?) quality and can be re-encoded at the higher bitrate / word depth to take advantage of the new technology. Upsampling garbage just gives you more garbage - I hope if iTunes starts making higher-quality music available, they'll tell us in some way if the album has been re-encoded from an original, high-quality master or simply upsampled from Redbook content - or, preferably, not doing *any* upsampling at all!

I'd be happy if we could get the older content in full, lossless 44/16 :) and the new stuff at either MP3, lossless Redbook, or up to 96/24 (or higher, in the course of time).

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

OMG... All master recordings have better quality than cd,

how ever the important point is about mp3s, when listening to them on a good system, sound terrible. Current society is used to it, so they do not care. Mp3 was created when there was space issues and memory price instability on electronics. Its true some 24bit offerings are 16bit upsampled, and lets hope itunes does not do that. But the difference between a low resolution mp3 and a real 24bit music is un-describable, you need to experience it.

If it sounds good.... listen

Bit depth is a systems ability to represent the dynamic range of the signal. A cymbal crash will decay naturally but a digital recorder has to have a high bit depth to represent that.

It doesn't matter what the overall dynamic range is for a recording, there are still sounds within that recording, that have decays in them that we need accurately recorded/represented.

Picture legos. With a lot of really small legos, you can almost make a wheel...

That Apple is offering a streaming subscription service like Rhapsody.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Many, or most, CDs are still way off exploiting the potential of 16/44 so I don't expect the producers of this type of garbage to make a better recording in 24/94, personally.

90% of people find mp3 indistinguishable from the original ( this was the sign off condition of the original algorithm) mp4 at 256 is -much- better than mp3.

How many Apple customers have a system good enough to hear the difference, even if their ears are good enough...

0.01% or less would be my guess.

Yes, I would love to have my favourite recordings available at a higher sound quality than now. I suspect most will never be re-issued this way though since for many of the old ones the masters are damaged or poor.

I hope they do it. I hope it is a success. I am not holding my breath.

Frank[br]Mac mini, Amarra, Pure vinyl, Resolution Cantata, Metric Halo LIO-8, dCs P8i,DeVialet 800, Goldmund Mim 20/36+/22/29.4, Epilog 1&2[br]Reference Turntable Ortofon Jubilee pickup

I know loads of people who think my system is a stupid waste of money. Most are music lovers and some professional musicians.

I also know several who think it is fantastic, most, again, are music lovers but some are "audiophiles" who spend their time listening to small differences and mainly do tests rather than enjoy music. I have one friend who will only accept vinyl and has at least as many test records as music, it seems. For him all digital is hideous and unlistenable, which leads to him missing out on some great music.

I have tried several music lovers on mp4, alc and aiff rips of the same tracks and only a few hear a difference they consider significant enough to get excited about, even when it seems a big difference to me. The performance is the important thing.

Otoh I also would rather listen to Bach on a telephone than Bruce Springsteen in 24/192.

"Otoh I also would rather listen to Bach on a telephone than Bruce Springsteen in 24/192."

Gotta love this site!

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

I do think that any modern Apple computer will reveal the differences in those formats - certainly a Mac Mini will.

But in regards to the whole subject, if your system gives you pleasure, and the cost of it is not breaking up your family or driving you into bankruptcy, then - in my opinion - it is anything but a stupid waste of money.

It is indeed, a very wise expenditure of money, and something well worth the doing.

Until recently, I had an enormous amount of computer, network, and software at my house. I could, with a few flicks of my keys, be on a current z/OS mainframe, a current HP Open-VMS, HPUX, or out of date HP-3000 system, as well as Windows, MacOS, and a range of Linux systems from mainframe to IA64 to x86 and more. I have more than a 100mbs of internet connectivity running into my home office.

I used all that to great advantage, and have built a nice life for myself and my family. Of course, I rarely saw my family, as I was always either at work, at a client's office, or in my office. Often till the wee hours of the morning, all weekend, and during vacations too.

It was a very good investment of my money and time in some ways- I made a lot of money, met a lot of people, had a lot of fun.

Now I go home, sit down on a loveseat with my wife, watch meaningless but fun videos, and listen to great music until around midnight. We can listen to that music in either the living room, the bedroom, the loft, or occasionally, in my office. :)

Total investment in the stereo/television bit so far is quite modest, less than $10K, including the television. And that puts sound in four rooms and counts the costs of the music server (and a backup to it) as well as the DASD storage.

Does it all meet "audiophile" standards? Probably not, but my wife, daughter, and I get 100x the cost in enjoyment out of it.

In all the rooms with sound, the speakers seem to disappear, and it seems that the performers are playing on an invisible stage right before us, with vertical and horizontal distinction between the players. At least, it does that with decent recordings.

And we all seem to talk to each other more, and hang together in the same rooms. :)

I personally find it immensely difficult to spend a lot of money on the audio/video gear, but that is a mental thing with me. I know I will not make money off it, or at least the chances I will do so are very slim indeed.

Once I have spent the money however - ah - then it is a completely different story.

It becomes, without a doubt, some of the best money I have ever spent, and I am quite sure I will be spending more in the future.

So a "stupid waste of money?"

No way - not in my opinion.

YMMV, etc.

-Paul

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

As with you my system seems good value to me, I use it hours per day. It was more expensive than my car but I use it at least 5x as long, lots of people I know think it was a waste of money though...

Well stated, Paul!

Digital: Schiit Yggy + Gumby, Meridian Explorer2

Headphone: Woo WA22, Audez'e LCD3, Beyerdynamic T1

Amplification: Pass Labs INT30A, Focal 1027be

Analog: VPI Classic, Soundsmith Zephy, EAR 834P

LastFM: WharfRatJustin

Apple: announcing iPad2

HDTracks: Stones in high res

Did I miss something, or is that all there is?

Note: I do like the Stones reissue, as it tells us labels are finding releasing classic material in hi-res is worth it, and more will be coming. We may be able to build a respectable library of hi-res popular music in a few years.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

We don't yet know what Apple will be announcing today. *Probably* an updated iPad (version 1.5?), possibly updates to the MobileMe service to allow more flexible iTunes library management, doubtfully any updates to allow higher-quality music - *at this time*.

The story on CNN re: Apple planning for higher-quality downloads did not mention *any* timeframe, but it will definitely come - whether in the next few months or the next few years is the question.

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

No news today that I am aware of on the iTunes high res front :(

- Mark

Synology DS916+ > SoTM dCBL-CAT7 > Netgear switch > SoTM dCBL-CAT7 > dCS Vivaldi Upsampler (Nordost Valhalla 2 power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 Dual 110 Ohm AES/EBU > dCS Vivaldi DAC (David Elrod Statement Gold power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 xlr > Absolare Passion preamp (Nordost Valhalla 2 power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 xlr > VTL MB-450 III (Shunyata King Cobra CX power cords) > Nordost Valhalla 2 speaker > Kaiser Kaewero Classic /JL Audio F110 (Wireworld Platinum power cord).

Power Conditioning: Entreq Olympus Tellus grounding (AC, preamp and dac) / Shunyata Hydra Triton + Typhoon (Shunyata Anaconda ZiTron umbilical/Shunyata King Cobra CX power cord) > Furutec GTX D-Rhodium AC outlet.

Disappointed. Apparently nothing happened.

I bought a couple of $100 gift cards to get ready for that.

Macbook Pro/MacMini/dCS Debussy/Cambridge 650BD[br]Vitus Audio SS-010/Living Voice OBX-R2 Speakers/Ultrasone Edition 8 phones[br]Airport Express/Meridian AD88[br]

Patience grasshopper. I think it's brewing. Probably not "hires" but at least something along the lines of 24/48 full cd quality or better. I'm betting they are getting their ducks in a row on the hardware side before springing something on people and not letting their players support it.

iPad 2 more than what it seems perhaps?

David

Yeah - I was a little bummed out about that as well. iTunes 10.2 released last night, and it has a few nice things in it. Just on a 5 minute listen, the sound from it seemed a little tighter.

The big thing is iOS4.3 will enable home sharing on iPhones, iPads, and iPods, meaning we can stream out libraries to the devices now. Something that was sadly and foolishly lacking previously.

They also fixed the bugs where by a maliciously crafted image could cause iTunes to crater. Most annoying especially if running under Windows.

-Paul

Robert A. Heinlein

"Yeah - I was a little bummed out about that as well. iTunes 10.2 released last night, and it has a few nice things in it. Just on a 5 minute listen, the sound from it seemed a little tighter."

Would they really do somthing to enhance audio quality and not say anything about it?

.. and the bits just keep on comin´./MacMini/iTunes/Spotify/E-DAC(ODAC)/SB Touch (for Internet radio only)/Marantz PM-KI Pearl Lite/ Amphion Argon1

Mind you, I am not saying they knew they did it, it might have been a side effect or just the result of general bug cleanup. Who knows? It seems to have tighted up the bass a little bit on ALAC and AIFF recordings where the bass is really charged up.

-Paul

Robert A. Heinlein

Cheapest way to get a fine start collection is to subscribe to B&W SoS for $60. For that, you get to download every new album: one Classical and one other. And! You can download the entire back catalogue from the start. Must be about 50 albums or more.

EDIT: just noticed that B&W did away with the earliest albums. Still a fine deal, though.

Format is ALAC or 24/48 FLAC. Choose flac and convert that to AIFF using XLD if you have Apple.

http://www.bowers-wilkins.co.uk/Society_of_Sound

Fully Balanced Differential Stereo: Jamo R909 < Emotiva XPA-1 < XLR < Emotiva XSP-1 < Weiss DAC2 < Oyaide d+ FW400/800 < iMac < Synology DS1815+ NAS

Software: Amarra Symphony iRC, XLD, iTunes.

I second what Erwin says about B & W SoS. I finally got around to joining a few days ago and I frankly don't know what took me so long. I like classical and the LSO offerings are great. The world music selections by Peter Gabriel are really interesting. There are considerably less than 50 CDs on there but they do add new music on a regular basis. They also have a few binaural recordings for headphone lovers that I need to check out.

Macmini (as server)-> AE Express/SB Touch-> Dacmagic plus -> Outlaw RR2150 -> PSB Image T6 (dedicated 2 channel audio system)

Macmini (via toslink)-> NAD T747 -> PSB Imagine B/SVS SB2000 subwoofer (home theater)

Macbook Pro-> Peachtree idecco->PSB Imagine Minis, Energy ESW-M8 subwoofer, Beyerdynamic DT880 (home office)

IMac->audioengine D1 dac->airmotiv 4 (work system)

Here are some sources I have used.

1) HDTracks - www.HDTracks.com - most comprehensive collection

2) http://www.itrax.com/

3) http://bluecoastrecords.com/

4) Rip DVD Audio discs with DVD Audio Extractor - requires Windows. - There are many DVD Audio discs available at http://store.acousticsounds.com/

5) the B & W link mentioned in this thread.

6) Blu-Ray. Lately there have been some blu-ray releases that include hi-res downloads or you can play them via the disc through your blu-ray player (older models are often limited to 16/48 output though)

You mentioned Ipod. Your Ipod will not play more than 16/44 although its host computer will if it is a Mac.

HDTracks is the most straight forward method. Find some music, pay some money, download the tracks usually in either FLAC or AIFF and then determine if you need to convert that format to another format for playback. If FLAC and if you are using Itunes, you will need to convert to AIFF or ALAC using Max (free at sbooth.org) or some other converter.

A word to the wise, although it is nice to have the option of hi-res, it adds complexity that is not always worth it. I have many CD quality (16/44.1) albums that sound better than my hi-res tracks.