IGNORED

Thoughts on Spatial Audio speakers?

I saw they have a listed dealer here in MN as well as planning on being at Axpona in Chicago in 8 days. That may be worth a trip for me as it's close enough for a drive, or a quick flight.

But I am curious to hear thoughts from anyone here that has spent some time with them.

Thanks.

No electron left behind.

I own the M3 Sapphires. Very open, clear, and dynamic. They are revealing but are also non-fatigueing. My listening sessions can last up to 6 hours, and I listen loud. While some may find they lack sheer weight and impact, the bass is as natural and detailed as you'll experience. There are four 15" paper cone woofers that can move a ton of air, but the lack of cabinet resonance/reinforcement can make them sound thin in bass. It makes you realize how thick and bloated most box speakers can sound. The soundstage is very much behind the speakers. Soundstage depth is downright spooky at times.

Overall I'd say it's hard not to like them. They present music in such an effortless way. If you get a chance to audition them I think you'll be impressed.

Just now, JJSim said:

I own the M3 Sapphires. Very open, clear, and dynamic. They are revealing but are also non-fatigueing. My listening sessions can last up to 6 hours, and I listen loud. While some may find they lack sheer weight and impact, the bass is as natural and detailed as you'll experience. There are four 15" paper cone woofers that can move a ton of air, but the lack of cabinet resonance/reinforcement can make them sound thin in bass. It makes you realize how thick and bloated most box speakers can sound. The soundstage is very much behind the speakers. Soundstage depth is downright spooky at times.

Overall I'd say it's hard not to like them. They present music in such an effortless way. If you get a chance to audition them I think you'll be impressed.

Thanks, I appreciate your thoughts.

No electron left behind.

On 4/15/2022 at 6:46 AM, AudioDoctor said:

I saw they have a listed dealer here in MN as well as planning on being at Axpona in Chicago in 8 days. That may be worth a trip for me as it's close enough for a drive, or a quick flight.

But I am curious to hear thoughts from anyone here that has spent some time with them.

Thanks.

There is a couple of  impressive videos with/about the Spatials by NewRecordDay on youtube.
The guy used a Neumann  binaural headphonedummy on listening position to get a "more correct impression" for the viewer/listener.

Very much in line with @JJSim I would say. Some of the most seducing speaker videos I've seen at YT.

This is maybe kinda late as Axpona time has already started ...
Enjoy !!

28 minutes ago, DuckToller said:

There is a couüle of  impressive videos with/about the Spatials by NewRecordDay on youtube.
The guy used a Neumann  binoural headphonedummy on listening position to get a "more correct impression" for the viewer/listener.

Very much in line with @JJSim I would say. Some of the most seducing speaker videos I've seen at YT.

This is maybe kinda late as Axpona time has already started ...
Enjoy !!

Wow, thanks. I was not expecting that difference from the normal tweeters of the first three speakers (first video) to the AMT tweeter of the X5. I have a friend who preaches the gospel of AMT tweeters and I think I have to start listening to him now.

No electron left behind.

For myself the M3 configuration is fair enough, I found the X5 kind of exxagerated..
However you can DIY without lots of effort the M3 / M4, there are reports in the FB open baffle groups - with x-over designs.
The Eminence woofers are a bit pricey, one could substitute them with SB Audience  15OB350.

The tweeter - peerless-da32tx00-08 - are the icing ...

A tempting OB speaker, I may look at them after I got my recent project finished.
Sorry to read that you will miss out on Axpona, enjoy your weekend nonetheless!

Just now, AudioDoctor said:

Of course, but that's not what's holding me here.

It might be faster in your Porsche 😉

Computer setup - Roon/Qobuz - PS Audio P5 Regenerator - HIFI Rose 250A Streamer - Emotiva XPA-2 Harbeth P3ESR XD - Rel  R-528 Sub

Comfy Chair - Schitt Jotunheim - Meze Audio Empyrean w/Mitch Barnett's Accurate Sound FilterSet

• 3 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, davide256 said:

@AudioDoctor curious to find out if you went to Axpona and if so what you thought of the Spatial Audio speakers?

I was there - colour me not impressed with the sound. Might have been the room, they sounded dark and cluttered, is the only way my wife put (she was with me).

Current:  Daphile on an AMD A10-9500 with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Amplification - Benchmark AHB2 amplifier

Speakers - Revel M126Be with 2 REL 7/ti subwoofers

Cables - Tara Labs RSC Reference and Blue Jean Cable Balanced Interconnects

4 hours ago, botrytis said:

I was there - colour me not impressed with the sound. Might have been the room, they sounded dark and cluttered, is the only way my wife put (she was with me).

Which model were they? The model with a "normal" tweeter or the model with the AMT tweeter? This comment makes me very curious to listen to them now.

What was being used for amplification if you can remember?

No electron left behind.

1 minute ago, AudioDoctor said:

Which model were they? The model with a "normal" tweeter or the model with the AMT tweeter? This comment makes me very curious to listen to them now.

What was being used for amplification if you can remember?

I can't remember and it was us writing notes quickly before we moved on and had a gaggle of friends with us too.

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

I think it was the room, the accompanying system, or they just didn't suit your preference. I haven't read another impression describing them as dark and cluttered. They are very clear and coherent because of the open baffle design, and if anything can sound overly bright. When I first got my M3's I thought they sounded a bit too bright, but I am also sensitive to sibilance. From viewing the aforementioned New Record Day videos, I get the impression the AMT tweeters in the X-series have even more presence and bite in the highs than the M-series.

I don't intend to diminish your opinion, but something must have been wrong with the room or equipment to make Spatial Audio speakers sound dark and cluttered. Usually they are perceived to be the polar opposite.

It may have been the room, etc. Never been a fan of open baffles. Too hard to setup right. I have heard plenty. 

Most of the reviews I read, in the press of the rooms and many were not what my wife and I thought sounded good at all.

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590