IGNORED

Why can't this sound problem get solved?

Hiso

Question

Hello, i have been having sound problems on my pc for a long time now. After switching a few speakers, i realized that the problem lied on my pc. The issues i was facing could be not the same but similar according to the speaker i would be using each time, but with my current one the problem is like this: I m getting something which i guess could be described as a high pitched humming noise which often gets triggered after using them to listen to something, but not always (i dont seem to notice this happening when i open my pc early in the day, but as the day goes on this problem appears at some point and persist so maybe thats a hint). The itensity of that noise changes or even disappears according to how high i set the volume from the volume controler that they have, but it generally is at its loudest when the volume i around the middle and it becomes silent only if i lower the volume quite a lot. Then the humming ends on its own at some point but it is generally persisting and it seems to be getting worse as time goes on too. The sound also seems to be buzzing a bit or so if i try to describe it when i listen to something on high volume at times (but i never listen to something too loudly). I tried using the speakers on my laptop and they were working fine, so i thought that the problem had to lie in the port that connects the speakers with my pc so i got a sound blaster that i could connect in any usb port. However, no matter which usb port i try, the problem persists. In sort, something inside the pc has to be the problem, but what could it be and how can i solve it? Any ideas would be appreciated.

13 answers to this question

Your noise is something like this ?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZNhMsIYGXk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiBgNfO_t9g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIrkcDZn1G8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewhnDA8QS0s

If you are using desktop PC, coil whine usually caused by power supply unit or graphics card, so changing those unit solves the problem.

It is very annoying noise but sometimes only younger people can hear this noise and it seems there is no quality control exists on this area… 

Sunday programmer since 1985

Developer of PlayPcmWin

8 hours ago, yamamoto2002 said:

Your noise is something like this ?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZNhMsIYGXk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiBgNfO_t9g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIrkcDZn1G8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewhnDA8QS0s

If you are using desktop PC, coil whine usually caused by power supply unit or graphics card, so changing those unit solves the problem.

It is very annoying noise but sometimes only younger people can hear this noise and it seems there is no quality control exists on this area… 

To be honest the sound from my speakers sounds more like a static high pitched sound while the ones you posted sound more like sound that comes from air or something. So in sort, should i send my pc to some experts in some shop to see whether its the problem of one of the supply unit or graphics card?

OK high pitched sound comes from your speaker, not from PC.

So, it is something like the following video? On this case, the noise is caused by ground loop. If you use laptop, disconnecting AC adapter from the laptop ( and external monitor and other AC powered peripheral devices) should stop the noise. There is several ways to achieve galvanic isolation to solve the ground loop problem of desktop PC or AC powered laptop PC, something like AC power isolation transformers,  XLR audio isolation transformer and USB galvanic isolator

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSA2F1AwboU

isolators.thumb.JPG.4a5f4929abd853c0a6bb27f7de897fb3.JPG

These are my isolators 😁

Sunday programmer since 1985

Developer of PlayPcmWin

On 10/23/2021 at 8:11 AM, Hiso said:

Hello, i have been having sound problems on my pc for a long time now. After switching a few speakers, i realized that the problem lied on my pc. The issues i was facing could be not the same but similar according to the speaker i would be using each time, but with my current one the problem is like this: I m getting something which i guess could be described as a high pitched humming noise which often gets triggered after using them to listen to something, but not always (i dont seem to notice this happening when i open my pc early in the day, but as the day goes on this problem appears at some point and persist so maybe thats a hint). The itensity of that noise changes or even disappears according to how high i set the volume from the volume controler that they have, but it generally is at its loudest when the volume i around the middle and it becomes silent only if i lower the volume quite a lot. Then the humming ends on its own at some point but it is generally persisting and it seems to be getting worse as time goes on too. The sound also seems to be buzzing a bit or so if i try to describe it when i listen to something on high volume at times (but i never listen to something too loudly). I tried using the speakers on my laptop and they were working fine, so i thought that the problem had to lie in the port that connects the speakers with my pc so i got a sound blaster that i could connect in any usb port. However, no matter which usb port i try, the problem persists. In sort, something inside the pc has to be the problem, but what could it be and how can i solve it? Any ideas would be appreciated.

This could be caused by RF noise from nearby lighting. Try using the sound with all fluorescent and room lights off. If the problem reduces,

go through a process of elimination to find which light(s) are the source of the problem. Incandescent bulbs don't cause this

but their low energy replacements can.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

I just had two good electricians in my house. I was hesitant to use the old audiophile "I am concerned about dimmers causing trouble..." and the guy says absolutely right, even on a different circuit they can cause issues.

Maybe audiophile wisdom is not always an oxymoron.

I do not know if you have solved the problem, but here are some tests you can try.  We are looking to find the source as fast as possible.  

Can you turn off all of the other circuits in the house and only keep the one running that is the computer/stereo?  

If the problem is gone with the other circuits off then we are pretty sure it is not the computer/stereo.

Turn on the breakers one at a time and listen to see which circut has a problem.  (Or multiple circuts)

If the problem does not go away turning off the other circuts then it may be in the system.  Can you give us an outline of the system design?  A specific question is all of the equipment plugged into the same circuit. i know that Greece is a 230v system that should not have the split phase issues in the USA.  Are the outlets using an “F” plug that has a separate earth ground?

This method is called a binary tree search.  The process can be used to eliminate issues quickly.

...one might consider running all the audio gear into an extension cord with enough outlets to include all your gear...and then plugging the extension into other outlets/circuits. 

Assuming I had, or could get, a suitable extension, this can be easier than turning off an entire home...though it may well come to that. 

I'm MarkusBarkus and I approve this post.10C78B47-4B41-4675-BB84-885019B72A8B.thumb.png.adc3586c8cc9851ecc7960401af05782.png

17 hours ago, yamamoto2002 said:

OK high pitched sound comes from your speaker, not from PC.

So, it is something like the following video? On this case, the noise is caused by ground loop. If you use laptop, disconnecting AC adapter from the laptop ( and external monitor and other AC powered peripheral devices) should stop the noise. There is several ways to achieve galvanic isolation to solve the ground loop problem of desktop PC or AC powered laptop PC, something like AC power isolation transformers,  XLR audio isolation transformer and USB galvanic isolator

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSA2F1AwboU

isolators.thumb.JPG.4a5f4929abd853c0a6bb27f7de897fb3.JPG

These are my isolators 😁

The sound is more "silent" lets say than the one on the video. Also, i m using a pc, so should i visit a store and ask for an isolator or something for this case?

8 hours ago, davide256 said:

This could be caused by RF noise from nearby lighting. Try using the sound with all fluorescent and room lights off. If the problem reduces,

go through a process of elimination to find which light(s) are the source of the problem. Incandescent bulbs don't cause this

but their low energy replacements can.

cant be this, my room has only few lighting and far away from my pc, still appreciated though

7 hours ago, mfsoa said:

I just had two good electricians in my house. I was hesitant to use the old audiophile "I am concerned about dimmers causing trouble..." and the guy says absolutely right, even on a different circuit they can cause issues.

Maybe audiophile wisdom is not always an oxymoron.

so you mean that the problem might lie to where my electricity supply? 

7 hours ago, bobfa said:

I do not know if you have solved the problem, but here are some tests you can try.  We are looking to find the source as fast as possible.  

Can you turn off all of the other circuits in the house and only keep the one running that is the computer/stereo?  

If the problem is gone with the other circuits off then we are pretty sure it is not the computer/stereo.

Turn on the breakers one at a time and listen to see which circut has a problem.  (Or multiple circuts)

If the problem does not go away turning off the other circuts then it may be in the system.  Can you give us an outline of the system design?  A specific question is all of the equipment plugged into the same circuit. i know that Greece is a 230v system that should not have the split phase issues in the USA.  Are the outlets using an “F” plug that has a separate earth ground?

This method is called a binary tree search.  The process can be used to eliminate issues quickly.

unfortunately i kinda suck at electronics so i m not sure what you mean by all that and how to answer :p however, on my living room where my pc is, they only active power supply is the one i m using solely for my pc and its components, the other things is the lights but after closing them but they didnt seem to change things, and i was about to end the response here but... then i remember my air condition, and when i turned it off, the sound indeed ceased :O but the air condiction and its power supply is far away from my pc, what should i do next?

Hiso,

You are starting to zero in on the problem..  in your home there is a panel with circuit breakers or if really old fuses….  What I was suggesting is that you turn off all of the other breakers except the one running your system.  BUT!  You may have narrowed it down quite a bit with the Air Conditioner.

All of the wiring in your home goes to that central panel with the breakers, all have a common source to the power distribution system.  The noise seems to be coming from your Air Conditioning system.   The AC should not be interfering in this way.  It might be defective.

At least now the problem can be demonstrated to an expert and most likely fixed.   

Bob

Aircons these days have inverters which are inherently noisy. There are many rules to stop noise like you are experiencing. Distance if the noise is strong enough is no obstacle.

Perhaps check the earthing on the aircon, making sure all connections are tight and not corroded, the unit could use an inspection for gas pressures in any case. Also check the earth condition on the AC outlets at the PC.

If that is fine, then an external dual EMC filter fitted to the supply side of the aircon should kill that problem. 

Once that noise is under control, there are other methods to improve the signal from the PC. If we start at reducing the noise from the PC side first, the fault in the aircon can get worse and there's still the noise being created 

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA