IGNORED

T+A DAC 200

The (optional) HDMI inputs of the DAC 200 are real HDMI inputs according to the HDMI specification. For a detailed description of the HDMI interface see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI

The DAC200 can receive high definition PCM and DSD signals (according to the HDMI specs) over its HDMI inputs. Any DVD, HD-Audio or SACD player with a standard HDMI output can be connected to these inputs.

The DAC200 also supports HDMI Video pass-through from such players to a (TV)monitor and the ARC (Audio Return Channel) from TVs.

But clearly spoken: The DAC200 HDMI inputs are not just mechanical HDMI sockets (mis)used to receive unencrypted raw I2S signals.

T+A Fellow   (Head of R&D @ T+A 1989-2021)

(*) My postings represent my private and personal opinion and hopefully are helpful to the members of this forum

T+A MP200 | T+A DAC200 | T+A A200 | T+A Talis S300 | DAW: Core i7 8700K - Linux 5.4.0 - Roonserver + HQP | NAA on RockPiE (RK3328)

1 minute ago, jrsub said:

My DAC 200 has always only had the solenoid click when switching between PCM and DSD tracks.  Within PCM or DSD a resolution change has no click.

... then you already have the new firmware.

(*) My postings represent my private and personal opinion and hopefully are helpful to the members of this forum

T+A MP200 | T+A DAC200 | T+A A200 | T+A Talis S300 | DAW: Core i7 8700K - Linux 5.4.0 - Roonserver + HQP | NAA on RockPiE (RK3328)

11 hours ago, Mist1Fu said:

And the change of intermittent input light when there’s no signal or audio is part of the update as well then?

... this seems to be an unintended change in the latest firmware.

The blinking light will come back with the next FW update - promised ;)

On 2/10/2023 at 7:07 PM, Allan F said:

Any recent news about when this will be available?

The programming tool will be available through the T+A webshop from beginning of March. As I heard, the price will be around €100.

If there is a urgent need it can be ordered right now directly from the T+A service dept. [ e-service (at) ta-hifi.com ]

On 2/13/2023 at 3:25 AM, lsantista said:

huh, it didn't have to be like that, or did it? I mean, the physical rj45 for a stable internet connection is there. right?

The DAC200 is a USB / S/P-DIF and HDMI DAC. It does not have an ethernet port.

Without having an ethernet port there is no way for a direct FW update through the internet.

The RJ45 sockets are used for communicating with other T+A devices (like MP200, A200 etc.).

The possible ways for a FW update of the DAC200 are:

1.) Through a T+A MP200 streamer

2.) From a (Windows) PC through the T+A programming tool.

3.) using a MSP430 programmer from Texas Instruments

12 hours ago, Miska said:

Is it the same one I already have for DAC8 DSD, or is it something different?

No, it is different.

The DAC8DSD used the RS232 control interface for FW update, the 200 devices use the E2Link Interface.

To shed a bit more light on the T+A firmware update procedure:

All T+A devices have a proprietary control interface (called "E2Link", "HLink" or "R2Link", depending on the series). Some T+A devices like DAC8DSD, DAC200 and HA200 have an additional RS232 interface labelled "CTRL" which is intended for control of the DAC via RS232 commands.

In principle both interfaces can be used for a firmware update.

The T+A programming adaptor uses the T+A (X)Link interface for the FW update. This is because this option can be used for all T+A devices, not only for those with RS232 interface.

Update of DAC8DSD, HA200 and DAC200 is also possible over RS232. In this case only a SubD-9 to RJ12 cable and a COM port on the PC (or USB to RS232 converter) is required. This is the adaptor mentioned in the post by @Miska.

If there is a common interest in the RS232 update, I could write a little guide on this.

22 hours ago, linuxprophet said:

Wow!

This is excellent information, which only an insider can provide.

There are RS232 D-SUB to RJ45 cables available (like the ones used for CISCO Routers). Or D_SUB to USB as stated earlier.

I think a step-by-step guide for those who may not be too familiar with the cables or process might be handy.

Thank you OE333.

Ok, I will write a step-by-step guide on the update process.

Please wait for this guide before trying to do the update --- there are differences between DAC8DSD, HA200 and DAC200.

Especially the HA200 is a bit tricky because its RS232 interface is shared between the CTRL and the E2Link.

I will post some more detail here as soon as I find the time to write the guide. Please give me a couple of days.

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, e.Latte said:
On 3/3/2023 at 8:44 PM, 1125FPS said:

As a happy owner of the DAC 200 I can answer some of the questions you asked. I left some unanswered. 

Hope this helps.

I respectfully request your kind and generous help for a friend GH considering DAC 200 for GH's 2nd system primarily for TV (may stream Qobuz via M-Connect.)  DAC 200 price is irrelevant to this conversation.   

Most of the below Qs relate to labels on DAC 200's rear panel:

What is SYS IN?

This is used if you have the MP 200. It allows for the MP 200 to communicate with the DAC 200

What is USB SYS?  

I have the MP 200 and in the manual it says to connect the sys in and the usb sys in. It doesn’t explain it further in the manual. I have been using my MP 200 with just the EZ link cable and not the usb.

What is HDMI OUT (ARC?)  

I believe ARC stands for áudio return channel. 

What is CTRL?  

What is CHARGE?  
I’m pretty sure this is to charge remotes or other devices 

Is there ethernet connector (appears not)?

No ethernet for streaming.

Is TV HDMI > DAC 200 OK?  Ditto TV optical > DAC 200?  Which performs better?  

Describe the method for firmware/software updates.

Another friend says DAC 200's DSD decoding is "unique."  If possible, please comment.

Thank you in advance for your kind help.  

Most questions were answered nicely and correctly by @e.Latte - thanks !

Here are missing answers:

SYS In is a combined digital audio and control interface for the connection of MP200 to DAC200. Audio data is transmitted from the MP200 to the DAC. Control signals are sent bi-directionally between both devices - this for example makes it possible to control both devices with just one remote control.

USB-SYS : same as SYS but with (future) support for higher sample rates.

CTRL: This is a RS232 (with 5V logic level) interface. It can be used to control the DAC from a Computer or home-automation system.

CHARGE: correct - this socket is used to charge the IR remote control

HDMI vs. optical TV connection:

HDMI-ARC and optical both use the S/P-DIF format for the audio data. So there is no difference in supported audio resolution or sample rates.

The optical connection isolates the TV from the DAC which might be an advantage in some cases (depending on your installation).

The HDMI connections is convenient if you have a SACD or HD audio BluRay player. You can play high definition audio via DAC200 and pass on the video to the TV in case you want to watch a movie. Furthermore you can use the DAC for your TV sound via the HDMI-ARC (Audio Return Channel) connection.

(*) Please note: the HDMI module is an optional extra !

Unique DSD DAC

The DAC200 has separate DACs for PCM and DSD. The DSD DAC is not an off-the-shelf integrated DAC chip, it is a "discrete" T+A proprietary DAC. This DAC is specially constructed for the demands of DSD signals and makes no compromises as normally PCM/DSD combi-DACs do. It has an outstanding resolution and jitter performance. 

Firmware Updates

Firmware updates will normally not be necessary but It is possible to update the FW through a MP200 (via the "SYS" connection). This is the easiest and most convenient way.

If no MP200 is available the FW can also be updated from a PC with the help of a T+A programming tool. This will normally be done by your T+A dealer. But the programming tool will be available through the T+A webshop in the near future for all users who want to do the update themselves.

@Tihon

The idea behind the SDV3100HV is to make all kinds of audio sources available to the user (S/P-DIF, HDMI, USB, network, disc player etc) at the highest possible quality.

The SDV (and also the DAC200) incorporates an extremely precise clock which is used to re-synchronize all incoming audio data streams  - no matter of which input is used. This ensures a top of the notch jitter performance for all sources connected to the DAC.

Also a complete galvanic isolation is included in our DACs which guarantees that no digital noise from any source can invade into the analog section.

On 3/5/2023 at 8:38 PM, Tihon said:

@OE333 oh, and I've almost forgotten another question. Do T+A dads have same output level for PCM and DSD? Some DACs are playing DSD at lower levels than PCM.

Precise answer: DSD is 0.1dB louder than PCM with standard FIR Oversampling.

But the PCM output level slightly depends on the chosen oversampling filter (FIR, Bezier, NOS).

Generally speaking the output level differences between the different input formats and oversampling algorithms are always less than +/- 0.2 dB.

10 hours ago, Nkam said:

what do you say to them? 

Listen !   😉

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/11/2023 at 7:47 AM, Nkam said:

Does the DAC 200 have extra headroom for intersample overs? 
To avoid clipping internally ?

Yes. There is no clipping no matter of which upsampling method used.

2 hours ago, Nkam said:

Any measurements of the T+A?

... anything special you are interested in ?

On 4/12/2023 at 5:15 PM, pavi said:

does the t+a dac200 perform equally well at dsd512 & dsd1024? 

Miska has already brilliantly answered your questions - I personally use DSD512.

DSD1024 would give a still better out-of-band noise performance but at the price of a very high work-load on the HQP server...