IGNORED

Article: Review | Kinki Studio EX-M1+ 215 WPC Integrated Amplifier

First of all, the EX-M1 and the EX-M1+ are not the same amplifier. The + is an altogether better built unit and the speaker terminals are very high quality and made by Furutech as are the gold RCA connectors. I also understand that the circuit of the + is likewise upgraded with better parts and a somewhat modified topology. Frankly, I don’t see how they can sell the EX-M1+ for the price that they sell it for. I’ve seen Integrated amps costing several times the Kinki Studio’s $2900 selling price that aren’t built half as well. Of course, as usual, YMMV!

George

Not really, the EX-M1+ is essentially identical to the EX-M1, but adds some features like dimmable display, a preamp output and a home-theater bypass to entirely bypass the preamp stage. 

The speaker terminals are WBT copy btw. The XLR and RCA l made by Neutrik, only the IEC are from Furutech. 

@gmgraves

There have been two generations of the M1 and M1+ from 2018 and then 2020.  I own one from each generation.  The 2020 version is identified by the gold heatsinks while the 2018 heatsinks matched the amps finish.  The M1 and M1+ from each generation are identical except for the addition of the extra preamp features in the M1+.  The better parts and volume control are across both models in the second generation as again the additional preamp features account for the extra cost.  I also own the EX-M7 stereo amp and if you already own an preamp you are fond of it is a great amp with a little more muscle than the integrated amps. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/29/2021 at 7:11 AM, Summit said:

I had the Kinki Studio EX-M1 for two weeks, a couple of years ago. It sounded good for its price but the quality of the speaker taps, VC and some channel imbalance made me send it back and buy a used Simaudio Moon 600i instead. 

Dunno what you mean by “send it back”, because the company does not take back sold products. I reached out to them myself and they explained it to me. 

I have a thing for the spatial dimension of audio equipment. The soundstage and the imaging matters more to me than any subtleties of tone or tightness of bass, etc. 

This amp promises to deliver on these spatial aspects of reproduction. My question is this — don’t tube products, in general, when well designed and engineered, deliver on spatial impact better than solid state amps/integrateds? 

Thanks in advance!

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/11/2021 at 3:06 PM, osullis said:

Dunno what you mean by “send it back”, because the company does not take back sold products. I reached out to them myself and they explained it to me. 

I mean exactly what I wrote - I send it back to the dealer in Netherlands

On 8/23/2021 at 8:12 PM, Rexp said:

Since i don't regard your HK900 as reference level, its hard to know if this amp is any good for $3K. There seems to be more recommendations in the $5K integrated area from the likes of Copeland, Hegel, Prima Luna & Mcintosh, if any deliver high-end sound at this price point its quite an achievement. 

Well, I had a Hegel separates ( P20 + H20 ) and the regular EX-M1 (not M1+) bettered them, last year i upgraded to its separate Brother the EX-M7 and yes it is even better, but have not heard the M1 +, although I was just about to upgrade my M1 to M1+ initially.

Kinki EX-M7 paired with the Denafrips Athena Preamp is AWESOME !

Hope this helps !

Hope you are better 🙏

ER + PH DR7T - TAIKO Server + PH DR7T ( HQPOs + ROON ) JCAT XE USB - Lampizator Baltic 4 - D-Athena preamp - K- EX-M7 amp - PMC Twenty5 26

On 9/27/2021 at 8:41 AM, mikicasellas said:

Well, I had a Hegel separates ( P20 + H20 ) and the regular EX-M1 (not M1+) bettered them, last year i upgraded to its separate Brother the EX-M7 and yes it is even better, but have not heard the M1 +, although I was just about to upgrade my M1 to M1+ initially.

Kinki EX-M7 paired with the Denafrips Athena Preamp is AWESOME !

Hope this helps !

Hope you are better 🙏

I am better. Thank you! 

• 6 months later...

I would not buy anything without any recourse to return it. It is an accident waiting to happen.

Still, it is nice to read about more reasonably priced equipment. To the OP, thanks for that.

Current:  Daphile on an AMD A10-9500 with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Amplification - Benchmark AHB2 amplifier

Speakers - Revel M126Be with 2 REL 7/ti subwoofers

Cables - Tara Labs RSC Reference and Blue Jean Cable Balanced Interconnects

• 1 year later...