IGNORED

I wonder if anyone here has a ductless mini-split AC unit and can answer a question.

How quiet are they really?

I have a new Pass amp here, and even though it is the smallest of the Class A amps, the XA30.8, it still puts out a lot of heat. I have to take breaks while listening on these hot days. In my search for solutions I came across these and they are alleged to be whisper quiet. However, I am a skeptical sort and prefer actual user experience over marketing fluff. I just finished listening to Ben Webster Meets Oscar Peterson, in 24/192, and now I need to let the room cool down some as it's 80 degrees in there right now.

No electron left behind.

We use these a lot in Australia, and if they are claimed to be very quiet, then the internal unit should be almost impossible to detect working - the key thing is that the external unit is relatively noisy, so care should be taken to position it so that the sounds it makes are blocked from filtering inside.

1 minute ago, Priaptor said:

I just moved out to my second home, now my first, here in Montana and I have one in my main bedroom and the one I have is dead silent. It works great. I have a Mitsubishi. It is a lot more silent than the central AC I had in FL, which were 2 phase units. 

That's what I was hoping for, thank you.

No electron left behind.

Thanks for asking this question.

We're currently looking at AC options and didn't know what this kind of AC is called.

I'm very familiar with this type of AC as it's the kind most commonly used in Japanese homes. It works very well and is very quiet inside the home.

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

40 minutes ago, kumakuma said:

Thanks for asking this question.

We're currently looking at AC options and didn't know what this kind of AC is called.

I'm very familiar with this type of AC as it's the kind most commonly used in Japanese homes. It works very well and is very quiet inside the home.

flattery will not stop Enya...

No electron left behind.

We had a Mitsubishi mini-split installed this year - very quiet and efficient. Installed two weeks before our deadly heat wave. Best thing we ever did. 

SERVER CLOSET (in office directly below living room stereo):NUC 7i5BNH with Roon ROCK (ZeroZone 12V on the NUC)>Cisco 2690L-16PS switch>Sonore opticalModule (Uptone LPS 1.2)>

LIVING ROOM: Sonore opticalRendu Roon version (Sonore Power Supply)> Shunyata Venom USB>Naim DAC V1>Witchhat DIN>Naim NAP 160 Bolt Down>Chord Rumor 2>Audio Physic Compact Classics. OFFICE: opticalModule> Sonore microRendu 1.4> Matrix Mini-i Pro 3> Naim NAP 110>NACA5>KEF Ls50's. BJC 6a and Ghent Catsnake 6a JSSG ethernet; AC cables: Shunyata Venom NR V-10; Audience Forte F3; Ice Age copper/copper; Sean Jacobs CHC PowerBlack, Moon Audio DIN>RCA, USB A>C. Isolation: Herbie's Audio Lab. 

The indoor units of split AC systems are usually very quiet. Depends on the selected setting, too. However outdoor units, which are placed outside, can be very noisy . It is very important where they are installed and how well they are vibro-insulated. Of course, the further away the external unit is, the less outer noise could be heard, but increasing the distance between components reduces system efficiency and increases cost.

16 hours ago, AudioDoctor said:

Thank you everyone for the replies, it looks like I need to look more into the Mitsubishi units.

Mitsubishi Heavy Industries are good. The Japanese prefer Panasonic. Fujitsu are good and very quiet.

The noisiest part is the fan, so keeping the fan on low reduces any noise. The fan on high for a quick chill is a different matter.