IGNORED

How To Install HQPlayer Embedded On Ubuntu

Dear all,

i would like to move to a RT kernel as per Jussi recommendation. I’m running now the 5.10.75-jl+.

Below the available RT kernels :

> linux-image-5.11.0-43-lowlatency     5.11.0-43.47~20.04.2

> linux-image-5.4.0-91-lowlatency      5.4.0-91.102

> linux-image-lowlatency               5.4.0.91.95

> linux-image-lowlatency-hwe-20.04     5.11.0.43.47~20.04.21

Any recommendation which one to use knowing that i don’t have any AMD GPU and not using NAA endpoint.

Thanks a lot.

3 hours ago, Patatorz said:

i would like to move to a RT kernel as per Jussi recommendation. I’m running now the 5.10.75-jl+.

That is fine.

3 hours ago, Patatorz said:

> linux-image-lowlatency-hwe-20.04     5.11.0.43.47~20.04.21

This is also fine if you don't need any additional audio driver support stuff.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

2 minutes ago, Patatorz said:

The 5.10.75-jl+ is not a RT one right ?

It is as much as the stock lowlatency kernel too.

On HQPlayer OS you can find realtime kernel. But using one means that you cannot have GPU offload because it breaks Nvidia driver (and the Nvidia driver knows this and refuses to work on realtime kernel).

8 hours ago, AudioDoctor said:

@jvvita

ok so try this, this just worked for me. I am listening now on HQPe

install a fresh copy of Ubuntu server 20.04

reboot

update it

reboot

then, here is the tricky part, notice Miska says in the directions to add the ROCM repository, not ROCM itself. This is key.

Screen Shot 2022-01-03 at 7.56.12 PM.png

follow these to the letter, reboot when it says reboot and DONT GO ADDING ANY MORE ROCM STUFF

MAKE SURE YOU USE THE HIGHLIGHTED LINE IN THE PICTURE ABOVE, as the one above it won't work as it is a generic example only.

Then, reboot.

Then install libgmpris and hqplayerd  Do you know how?

wget libgmpris and then sudo dpkg -i libgmpris. Same with hqplayerd

sudo apt install -f

Let HQPlayer Embedded pull in all its dependencies

reboot

change username and password for HQP Embedded, reboot after this. it's important, you won't be able to sign in and will be frustrated until you do.

enable it

start it

it should be running

Thanks for this. Exactly what I had done before (following the guide up to the end of step 2). Still no go. Same libamdhip64 error. Rocm repo is added, as I can see them in sudo install update

Any clues?

1 hour ago, jvvita said:

Thanks for this. Exactly what I had done before (following the guide up to the end of step 2). Still no go. Same libamdhip64 error. Rocm repo is added, as I can see them in sudo install update

Any clues?

Check that your ld.so config has path to /opt/rocm-x.x/lib

So for example create /etc/ld.so.conf.d/rocm.conf and add "/opt/rocm-4.5/lib" there and then run ldconfig (check the paths with corresponding ROCm release)

AMD packages should do this for you, but they've always had pretty horrid software quality (already in the ATI days).

ok. Success. After some hours of work, it came alive. This is the step-by-step for everyone to review and criticize

sudo apt update

sudo apt upgrade

sudo apt install libnuma-dev

sudo reboot

sudo apt install gnupg2 alien

wget -q -O - https://repo.radeon.com/rocm/rocm.gpg.key | sudo apt-key add -

echo 'deb [arch=amd64] https://repo.radeon.com/rocm/apt/debian/ ubuntu main' | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/rocm.list

wget -q -O - https://repo.radeon.com/rocm/rocm.gpg.key | sudo apt-key add -

sudo apt update

wget https://repo.radeon.com/rocm/yum/4.3/rock-dkms-4.3-52.el7.noarch.rpm

sudo alien -i rock-dkms-4.3-52.el7.noarch.rpm

sudo apt install rocm-dkms

sudo reboot

echo 'export PATH=$PATH:/opt/rocm/bin:/opt/rocm/rocprofiler/bin:/opt/rocm/opencl/bin' | sudo tee -a /etc/profile.d/rocm.sh

sudo sh -c "echo '/opt/rocm/lib' >> /etc/ld.so.conf.d/rocm.conf"

sudo ldconfig

wget https://www.sonarnerd.net/src/focal/libgmpris_2.2.1-8_amd64.deb

sudo dpkg -i libgmpris_2.2.1-8_amd64.deb

wget https://www.signalyst.eu/bins/hqplayerd/focal/hqplayerd_4.28.3-107amd_amd64.deb

sudo dpkg -i hqplayerd_4.28.3-107amd_amd64.deb

sudo apt install -f

sudo hqplayerd -s hqplayer hqplayer

sudo systemctl enable hqplayerd 

systemctl start hqplayerd

sudo systemctl status hqplayerd
4 hours ago, jvvita said:

ok. Success. After some hours of work, it came alive. This is the step-by-step for everyone to review and criticize

Note that you need the rocm-dkms (kernel driver modules) only if you have a compatible AMD GPU. Otherwise the driver will just fail to load and is unnecessary extra.

Yes, I understand it. But I was unable to start hqplyerd service without installing both packages (rock-dkms and rocm-dkms). Only loading rocm repo was insufficient (I know it was loaded without any issue because ver 1GB of unneeded weight as installed when going install -f after installing hpqlayerd).

rock-dkms seem to be a pre-requisite of rocm-dkms, but apparently was deprecated from rocm debian repo. I could only find it as rpm package.

15 minutes ago, jvvita said:

Yes, I understand it. But I was unable to start hqplyerd service without installing both packages (rock-dkms and rocm-dkms). Only loading rocm repo was insufficient (I know it was loaded without any issue because ver 1GB of unneeded weight as installed when going install -f after installing hpqlayerd).

rock-dkms seem to be a pre-requisite of rocm-dkms, but apparently was deprecated from rocm debian repo. I could only find it as rpm package.

I have neither one installed on my Intel i5-10600 machine. That package only contains kernel modules and it is not related to running the application. In fact, in normal case trying to install that package on a machine without AMD GPU would just make the package installation fail.

19 minutes ago, Miska said:

I have neither one installed on my Intel i5-10600 machine. That package only contains kernel modules and it is not related to running the application. In fact, in normal case trying to install that package on a machine without AMD GPU would just make the package installation fail.

that is very strange. I followed the guidelines of your website up until this step 2.

when I ran sudo hqplalyerd -s, I got the error message, of the missing libamdhip64.so.4 shared library. systemctl enable would run fine. systemctl start would not start the service. It ony worked with the full install of the driver. 

Running ubuntu server 20.04, kernel 5.11.0-43-generic. Nothing else installed but ssh server.

Since I did not clean install after receiving the error message, should there be a full log, I could gladly send it to you.

1 hour ago, jvvita said:

when I ran sudo hqplalyerd -s, I got the error message, of the missing libamdhip64.so.4 shared library. systemctl enable would run fine. systemctl start would not start the service.

Did you have the ld.so config in place at that point? If that was missing, the said library is not found with current AMD's packaging.

1 hour ago, jvvita said:

Running ubuntu server 20.04, kernel 5.11.0-43-generic. Nothing else installed but ssh server.

Remember to switch to lowlatency kernel, either mine or stock Ubuntu one. Otherwise the system is not optimized for multimedia use.

I had done these steps, to no avail. 

echo 'export PATH=$PATH:/opt/rocm/bin:/opt/rocm/rocprofiler/bin:/opt/rocm/opencl/bin' | sudo tee -a /etc/profile.d/rocm.sh

sudo ldconfig

But I believe I can uninstall the rock and rock packages and see what happens. 

Thanks for the tip regarding low latency. Will sure do the install

i’ve been following along on a i9-12900k, and am experiencing exactly what @jvvita is chronicling. 

HQPe on 7950/4090/Ubuntu 23.04 → Holo Red → T+A DAC200 / Wavedream Sig-Bal / Holo May KTE 

Zähl HM1 / Mass Kobo 465 / Feliks Envy  → Susvara / D8KP-LE / MYSPHERE 3.1 / ...

LTA Z40+ → Salk Song3 BeAT

Pass XP25 → Salk BePure 2

On 1/4/2022 at 11:37 PM, sledwards said:

I just tried removing rocm-dkms on working setup and back to where I was before...no running hqplayerd process. Reinstalled rocm-dkms and it works again.

root@ubuntu-srv:~# dpkg -l | grep dkms
root@ubuntu-srv:~# systemctl status hqplayerd
● hqplayerd.service - HQPlayer Embedded daemon
     Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/hqplayerd.service; enabled; vendor pre>
     Active: active (running) since Wed 2022-01-05 00:40:45 UTC; 1 day 12h ago
   Main PID: 803 (hqplayerd)
      Tasks: 52 (limit: 38126)
     Memory: 62.0M
     CGroup: /system.slice/hqplayerd.service
             └─803 /usr/bin/hqplayerd

As you can see, no any "dkms" packages installed. And hqplayerd running just fine.

What error do you get if you remove the dkms package and try to start hqplayerd?

On 1/4/2022 at 10:38 PM, jvvita said:

This part is unnecessary.

On 1/4/2022 at 10:38 PM, jvvita said:

sudo ldconfig

Here you are trusting /opt/rocm symlink exists which is not necessarily the case. You should use the actual path of currently installed version. You will need to update this whenever rocm version changes.

Thanks for this. In fact, the lines come from the OP tutorial. I did not think the first one  would hurt, even though I won't be running rocm software. 

The second one I trusted amd package doing its job properly and creating the symlink. But you are right. Now I know where to look should any update break the system.

I am eagerly waiting for a update of the kernel version you use for your HQPOs, so I can move away of this jungle.

1 hour ago, Miska said:

root@ubuntu-srv:~# dpkg -l | grep dkms
root@ubuntu-srv:~# systemctl status hqplayerd
● hqplayerd.service - HQPlayer Embedded daemon
     Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/hqplayerd.service; enabled; vendor pre>
     Active: active (running) since Wed 2022-01-05 00:40:45 UTC; 1 day 12h ago
   Main PID: 803 (hqplayerd)
      Tasks: 52 (limit: 38126)
     Memory: 62.0M
     CGroup: /system.slice/hqplayerd.service
             └─803 /usr/bin/hqplayerd

As you can see, no any "dkms" packages installed. And hqplayerd running just fine.

What error do you get if you remove the dkms package and try to start hqplayerd?

image.thumb.png.597da2251a53c654d8a35d11a7240086.png