IGNORED

How To Install HQPlayer Embedded On Ubuntu

• 2 months later...

Do you actually have some AMD GPU? Installing the driver likely fails if it fails to load due to lack of suitable AMD GPU.

If you don't have AMD GPU, you only need to have the ROCm package repository added, and hqplayerd package will trigger package manager to pull the necessary library packages. You don't need to manually install anything.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

5 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

Unless you have an AMD GPU, use Fedora...  rocm is a mess, and just to be clear, that's no fault of @Miska .

Now the generic Ubuntu build comes without ROCm support to make life easier. Only the "amd" build comes with ROCm support. So you can think of it as "AMD CPU & AMD GPU support" build. In fact I'm testing it on a machine that has Ryzen 7 5800X and Radeon RX 6700XT.

With the current ROCm release, I have this in my /etc/ld.so.conf.d/rocm.conf:

/opt/rocm/lib
/opt/rocm-4.3.0/lib
/opt/rocm-4.5.0/lib

Then run "ldconfig".

Works on current ROCm release. Likely gets broken again when they release next version and needs some little adjustments again.

3 hours ago, Miska said:

Now the generic Ubuntu build comes without ROCm support to make life easier. Only the "amd" build comes with ROCm support. So you can think of it as "AMD CPU & AMD GPU support" build. In fact I'm testing it on a machine that has Ryzen 7 5800X and Radeon RX 6700XT.

With the current ROCm release, I have this in my /etc/ld.so.conf.d/rocm.conf:

/opt/rocm/lib
/opt/rocm-4.3.0/lib
/opt/rocm-4.5.0/lib

Then run "ldconfig".

Works on current ROCm release. Likely gets broken again when they release next version and needs some little adjustments again.

ok, so...

Does the performance benefit with an AMD CPU make it worthwhile to use this version?

Can I use "sudo nano /etc/ld.so.conf.d/rocm.conf

and edit the file to make it work?

No electron left behind.

3 hours ago, GMG said:

I am using audiolinux with rocm flawlessly.  (Roon + HQP on same computer)

I am going to go out on a limb here and guess that rocm isn't officially supported on Arch distros, so someone, maybe even the person who maintains HQP for Arch, which isn't Miska by the way, also edits rocm for his audiolinux distro to make it work there.

No electron left behind.

2 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

I am going to go out on a limb here and guess that rocm isn't officially supported on Arch distros, so someone, maybe even the person who maintains HQP for Arch, which isn't Miska by the way, also edits rocm for his audiolinux distro to make it work there.

I don’t exactly know/recall, but I think I installed it directly from the repository so I don’t think it was edited. 
actually I don’t really need rocm, but due to some compatibility issue rocm is the only build that runs on my specific computer with Arch. I used the same computer with Ubuntu with regular HQP intel build, but for unknown (not officially supported) reason it did not work with Arch. 
but, as I said I now have Roon+HQP running flawlessly with Arch with great support from AudioLinux. Running both in Ramroot by the way. 

12 minutes ago, GMG said:

I don’t exactly know/recall, but I think I installed it directly from the repository so I don’t think it was edited. 
actually I don’t really need rocm, but due to some compatibility issue rocm is the only build that runs on my specific computer with Arch. I used the same computer with Ubuntu with regular HQP intel build, but for unknown (not officially supported) reason it did not work with Arch. 
but, as I said I now have Roon+HQP running flawlessly with Arch with great support from AudioLinux. Running both in Ramroot by the way. 

It only came from the AUR, not AMD. Same with HQPlayer. That is also in the AUR. It was not put there by Miska. It was put there by the creator/maintainer of AudioLinux.

Rocm is NOT supported on Arch.

No electron left behind.

14 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

It only came from the AUR, not AMD. Same with HQPlayer. That is also in the AUR. It was not put there by Miska. It was put there by the creator/maintainer of AudioLinux.

Rocm is NOT supported on Arch.

Well it works for me and I got all the support I needed during initial setup of the system and also later for all the tweaks and performance enhancements. 
obviously I wish Arch would be officially supported as maybe with some future update things will turn south. 
at least with the last update to 4.26 was 100% smooth. 
I think that if Arch would be supported it would make the lives of many users much easier, it is super affordable and makes installing Roon+HQP on a single Linux computer accessible to all. 
at least this is my experience after trying (successfully) to use Ubuntu. 

1 hour ago, AudioDoctor said:

Does the performance benefit with an AMD CPU make it worthwhile to use this version?

If you have an AMD CPU, then certainly the AMD optimized version is better.

1 hour ago, AudioDoctor said:

Can I use "sudo nano /etc/ld.so.conf.d/rocm.conf

and edit the file to make it work?

Yes, or just "sudo su -" yourself to make things easier. No need to prefix everything with "sudo" then.

That file doesn't exist by default, there are bunch of files there from ROCm kit, but none happen to be pointing to /opt/rocm-4.3.0/lib while one library is still from the old version...

4 hours ago, Miska said:

If you have an AMD CPU, then certainly the AMD optimized version is better.

Yes, or just "sudo su -" yourself to make things easier. No need to prefix everything with "sudo" then.

That file doesn't exist by default, there are bunch of files there from ROCm kit, but none happen to be pointing to /opt/rocm-4.3.0/lib while one library is still from the old version...

So first I have to create the file, add the edits, and then ldconfig?

No electron left behind.

Thank you everyone for the inputs. I will try again over the weekend.

I am currently trying out Hqplayer embedded on my old Xeon server without GPU. Once suceeded, I will then try Hqplayer embedded on my 11900K with 3090 which is running HQP desktop under Win10. This could be challenging as I have no ideal how to do cuda in Linux. Anyway, I have to spend time to find out if the embedded sound even better.

7 hours ago, Miska said:

Neither Nvidia nor AMD support Arch.

They support deb and rpm packaging system based distros.

Thanks Miska

I don’t need rocm. I have neither AMD nor Nvidia. I have an old Lenovo T42. 
it was able to run HQPlayer embedded on Ubuntu with no issue , but for some reason when I switched to Arch only the rocm would run. The build which is based on Ubuntu refused to start due to cpu incompatibility. 
I would gladly use a non rocm as rocm just takes up additional ~7gB which is significant since I am running in ramroot mode. 
I know you don’t support Arch. I just encourage you to consider it 🙂, I believe it will good for many users out there trying to use Linux with HQPlayer (+Roon) not based on your dedicated OS. You will support Arch instead of so many users, and Archlinux will support the users instead of you.
just my opinion.  

9 hours ago, GMG said:

Well it works for me and I got all the support I needed during initial setup of the system and also later for all the tweaks and performance enhancements. 
obviously I wish Arch would be officially supported as maybe with some future update things will turn south. 
at least with the last update to 4.26 was 100% smooth. 
I think that if Arch would be supported it would make the lives of many users much easier, it is super affordable and makes installing Roon+HQP on a single Linux computer accessible to all. 
at least this is my experience after trying (successfully) to use Ubuntu. 

Using Audiolinux is not even close to using Arch... technically, you are because AudioLinux is an Arch based distro, however someone else has done all the hard work for you. If you truly want to try and use Arch, let me know. I'll show you how.

Furthermore, Arch is not officially supported by CUDA or ROCM, so you would have to cobble those together as well... Miska uses Ubuntu and Fedora because they are officially supported by AMD and Nvidia. Using AudioLinux you are supported by one guy who has to reverse engineer everything and fix it to get it to work in Arch and you're screwed if you want to get support from any official source.

I don't even think you should ask Miska for help if you're using HQPlayer in Audiolinux, or on any Arch based distro at all, as its basically bootleg software and he doesn't support it.

Yes I tried this all, I built Arch from scratch. I have been there, done that. I also refused to ask Miska for support because I knew I was out beyond his limits. The hassles were not worth it. I am glad you find using Audiolinux worth your time, but understand that what you're paying for is for someone else to do all the hard work for you that makes it work smoothly for you, the end user who sees none of it.

IMO, you should just use HQP OS and be done with it if you need neither AMD nor Nvidia additional software. Its dead simple, and probably sounds even better. Also, you're then using officially supported software.

No electron left behind.

5 hours ago, AudioDoctor said:

Using Audiolinux is not even close to using Arch... technically, you are because AudioLinux is an Arch based distro, however someone else has done all the hard work for you. If you truly want to try and use Arch, let me know. I'll show you how.

Furthermore, Arch is not officially supported by CUDA or ROCM, so you would have to cobble those together as well... Miska uses Ubuntu and Fedora because they are officially supported by AMD and Nvidia. Using AudioLinux you are supported by one guy who has to reverse engineer everything and fix it to get it to work in Arch and you're screwed if you want to get support from any official source.

I don't even think you should ask Miska for help if you're using HQPlayer in Audiolinux, or on any Arch based distro at all, as its basically bootleg software and he doesn't support it.

Yes I tried this all, I built Arch from scratch. I have been there, done that. I also refused to ask Miska for support because I knew I was out beyond his limits. The hassles were not worth it. I am glad you find using Audiolinux worth your time, but understand that what you're paying for is for someone else to do all the hard work for you that makes it work smoothly for you, the end user who sees none of it.

IMO, you should just use HQP OS and be done with it if you need neither AMD nor Nvidia additional software. Its dead simple, and probably sounds even better. Also, you're then using officially supported software.

Thanks. 
I do appreciate that someone else is doing all the hard work and am glad to pay for it. I prefer it like that 😎
If AudioLinux will fail in the future I will revert to separate computers with Rock and HQP-OS (I know, I know, you told me 🙂) or go all out for a Sonore server.  

• 4 weeks later...

Perhaps I was living too dangerously because I don't know enough about Linux to get beyond installing Ubuntu 20.04 off a USB stick and then following copy and paste instructions on the screen, but I ran into what appear to be fatal errors at two points.

Of course, since I don't know what I am doing, they easily could be related, but HQPlayerd did not seem to finish configuring and it certainly isn't operating.  (I did have to update the HQPlayerd file to hqplayerd_4.28.0-99_amd64.deb when following the steps and I didn't have issues except at the two points shown in the screenshots.)

I first encountered this error, at the sudo apt install rocm-dkms stage:

881769695_Screenshotfrom2021-12-0619-28-59.png.7335cea4a0fc8524f151d5f2b34ba9a3.png

Since I kept getting this error message, I just held my nose and entered the reboot command and completed the rest of the steps.

At the last step, I got this error:

34274723_Screenshotfrom2021-12-0619-31-29.png.b39c8fa83258437547655848e3c8673b.png

At this point, I exited terminal.  HQPe doesn't show up on the network, as I feared.

I am too much of an uneducated dolt to do any troubleshooting here myself, so I ask how I can update these commands so that this works.  I appreciate any advice you can provide, whether here or by private message.

Until I square this away, I guess I need to update my HQPe OS stick to the current version and run off that. 

Thanks for any guidance you can offer. 

Living room:  Synology 218+ NAS > NUC 10 i7 > HQP Embedded > xfinity Xfi Router > Netgear GS348 Switch > Sonore Optical Module Deluxe > Sonore Signature Rendu SE Optical Tier 2 > Okto DAC 8 Stereo > Topping Pre90 Preamp > Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini > Revel F32 Concertas

Computer Desk System: Synology DS-218+ NAS > Dell XPS 8930/NUC 10 i7  > HQP Desktop > xfinity Xfi Router > EtherRegen > ultraRendu > Topping D90 DAC > Audioengine A5+'s