IGNORED

How To Install HQPlayer Embedded On Ubuntu

23 hours ago, Mike Rubin said:

(I did have to update the HQPlayerd file to hqplayerd_4.28.0-99_amd64.deb when following the steps and I didn't have issues except at the two points shown in the screenshots.)

I first encountered this error, at the sudo apt install rocm-dkms stage:

881769695_Screenshotfrom2021-12-0619-28-59.png.7335cea4a0fc8524f151d5f2b34ba9a3.png

For the "non-AMD" buid, you don't need ROCm packages anymore. And even for the "AMD build" you need "rocm-dkms" only if you have an AMD GPU. If you don't have AMD GPU, the installation will likely fail, because the AMD GPU driver will fail to load without AMD GPU...

23 hours ago, Mike Rubin said:

At the last step, I got this error:

34274723_Screenshotfrom2021-12-0619-31-29.png.b39c8fa83258437547655848e3c8673b.png

At this point, I exited terminal.  HQPe doesn't show up on the network, as I feared.

It's web interface should show up, since it is up and running. The "OnNameLost" error is completely normal when you are running outside of desktop environment where you'd have D-Bus Session Bus available (for MPRIS).

So just check your IP address and try to point browser to http://yourip:8088/

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

Thank you, Jussi.  I will look for the web interface on a browser after I remove the HQPe OS USB stick and reboot the NUC from its SSD. 

Living room:  Synology 218+ NAS > NUC 10 i7 > HQP Embedded > xfinity Xfi Router > Netgear GS348 Switch > Sonore Optical Module Deluxe > Sonore Signature Rendu SE Optical Tier 2 > Okto DAC 8 Stereo > Topping Pre90 Preamp > Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini > Revel F32 Concertas

Computer Desk System: Synology DS-218+ NAS > Dell XPS 8930/NUC 10 i7  > HQP Desktop > xfinity Xfi Router > EtherRegen > ultraRendu > Topping D90 DAC > Audioengine A5+'s

That worked.  Thank you.

To avoid clutter, I am inclined to try the non-amd version and leave out the ROCm instructions.  What is the name of the non-amd package and in which repository folder do I find it?  Also, may I presume that I can ignore all of the Radeon and ROCM references in Chris' script?

Sorry for the newbie questions and thanks for your patience.

Living room:  Synology 218+ NAS > NUC 10 i7 > HQP Embedded > xfinity Xfi Router > Netgear GS348 Switch > Sonore Optical Module Deluxe > Sonore Signature Rendu SE Optical Tier 2 > Okto DAC 8 Stereo > Topping Pre90 Preamp > Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini > Revel F32 Concertas

Computer Desk System: Synology DS-218+ NAS > Dell XPS 8930/NUC 10 i7  > HQP Desktop > xfinity Xfi Router > EtherRegen > ultraRendu > Topping D90 DAC > Audioengine A5+'s

8 hours ago, Mike Rubin said:

To avoid clutter, I am inclined to try the non-amd version and leave out the ROCm instructions.  What is the name of the non-amd package and in which repository folder do I find it?

The package that has just build number, like "99" in 4.28.0 release, is the generic one. The package that has "amd" associated with the build number, like "100amd" in 4.28.0 release, is the "AMD" one.

8 hours ago, Mike Rubin said:

Also, may I presume that I can ignore all of the Radeon and ROCM references in Chris' script?

Yes, you can.

1 hour ago, Miska said:

The package that has just build number, like "99" in 4.28.0 release, is the generic one. The package that has "amd" associated with the build number, like "100amd" in 4.28.0 release, is the "AMD" one.

Thank you again. 

I have managed to install HQ Player Embedded and Ubuntu server, it all seems to work except I cannot login via the web. If I go to the my IP:8088 I see a cut down menu and I can select PCM but not SDM. I can add the player in Roon, and set it to play but I get no sound. If I go to myIP:8088/control I get the chance to input a username and password. I have tried hqplayer and password and every combination. Am I missing something? And, I don't have an embedded licence, just desktop, but I wanted to try out embedded.

1 hour ago, jvvita said:

Just wandering if it is possible to write hqplayerOs to the hard drive and boot normally. I guess one would have to build grub entries for hqplayerOs.

I have two drives in my CAPS 20 server. One boots to windows the other HPQ OS. I boot to Windows, use Ethcher to write HQP OS image to the other NVMe drive and boot to that drive when done. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

56 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I have two drives in my CAPS 20 server. One boots to windows the other HPQ OS. I boot to Windows, use Ethcher to write HQP OS image to the other NVMe drive and boot to that drive when done. 

That is indeed a fast and easy way to avoid building grub. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

So, HQPlayer OS did not work for me. Does not recognize network card.

When installing on Ubuntu server, I got stuck with the error:  hqplayerd: error while loading shared libraries: libamdhip64.so.4: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I have followed all steps to rocm packages. rocm-dkms fails to install because I do not have an AMD video card. Below, the steps I followed. I am now clueless.

sudo apt install libnuma-dev

sudo reboot

sudo apt install gnupg2

wget -q -O - https://repo.radeon.com/rocm/rocm.gpg.key | sudo apt-key add -

echo 'deb [arch=amd64] https://repo.radeon.com/rocm/apt/debian/ ubuntu main' | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/rocm.list

wget -q -O - https://repo.radeon.com/rocm/rocm.gpg.key | sudo apt-key add -

sudo apt update

sudo apt install rocm-dkms [FAILED]

sudo reboot

echo 'export PATH=$PATH:/opt/rocm/bin:/opt/rocm/rocprofiler/bin:/opt/rocm/opencl/bin' | sudo tee -a /etc/profile.d/rocm.sh

sudo sh -c "echo '/opt/rocm/lib' >> /etc/ld.so.conf.d/rocm.conf"

sudo ldconfig
19 minutes ago, jvvita said:

So, HQPlayer OS did not work for me. Does not recognize network card.

Which network card?

20 minutes ago, jvvita said:

When installing on Ubuntu server, I got stuck with the error:  hqplayerd: error while loading shared libraries: libamdhip64.so.4: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I have followed all steps to rocm packages. rocm-dkms fails to install because I do not have an AMD video card. Below, the steps I followed. I am now clueless.

Someone will correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think you need rocm for this version.

https://www.signalyst.eu/bins/hqplayerd/focal/hqplayerd_4.28.3-106_amd64.deb

No electron left behind.

43 minutes ago, jvvita said:

You are right. But if I understood it correctly, this is more of a compatibility version, that don't carry all the optimizations.

So go buy an AMD gpu?

What happens if after adding the repositories and HQPlayerd you do, " sudo apt install -f " It should force install all the dependencies. I remember Miska recommending that its better to let HQPlayer pull in dependencies than installing all of ROCM, and CUDA for that matter.

No electron left behind.

@jvvita

ok so try this, this just worked for me. I am listening now on HQPe

install a fresh copy of Ubuntu server 20.04

reboot

update it

reboot

then, here is the tricky part, notice Miska says in the directions to add the ROCM repository, not ROCM itself. This is key.

Screen Shot 2022-01-03 at 7.56.12 PM.png

follow these to the letter, reboot when it says reboot and DONT GO ADDING ANY MORE ROCM STUFF

MAKE SURE YOU USE THE HIGHLIGHTED LINE IN THE PICTURE ABOVE, as the one above it won't work as it is a generic example only.

Then, reboot.

Then install libgmpris and hqplayerd  Do you know how?

wget libgmpris and then sudo dpkg -i libgmpris. Same with hqplayerd

sudo apt install -f

Let HQPlayer Embedded pull in all its dependencies

reboot

change username and password for HQP Embedded, reboot after this. it's important, you won't be able to sign in and will be frustrated until you do.

enable it

start it

it should be running

No electron left behind.

4 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

How the heck do I create a music folder on Ubuntu Server 20.04.3 LTS, and then share that on the network so I can move music to it?

Install Samba server (smbd) and configure it to share the music. I have such shares set up as read-only. On my office i5 NUC server (running Debian 11) with Roon Core too I have setup share with pretty much stock /etc/samba/smb.conf with just following additional lines:

[music]
  comment = Music directory
  path = /music/music
  read only = yes

You can also manage Samba users with tools like smbpasswd

2 minutes ago, Miska said:

Install Samba server (smbd) and configure it to share the music. I have such shares set up as read-only. On my office i5 NUC server (running Debian 11) with Roon Core too I have setup share with pretty much stock /etc/samba/smb.conf with just following additional lines:

[music]
  comment = Music directory
  path = /music/music
  read only = yes

Do I need to do something to create that music folder first?

No electron left behind.