IGNORED

AMD based server build

The Ryzen 5 does well, it;s just that once you have heard the difference between that the 7 and the 9 it's hard to settle for it, in the end it is also a budget issue so if the 5 is what makes sense to you it will not let you down.

play ISO files? how/why play ISO files? I convert FLAC to WAV before playing and not during as it sounds better, play ISO (disc image)??

ISP, glass to Fritz!box 5530, another Fritz!box 5530 for audio only in bridged mode on LPS, cat8.1, Zyxel switch on LPS, Finisar <1475BTL>Solarflare X2522-25G, external wifi AP, AMD 9 16 core, passive cooling ,Aorus Master x570, LPSU with Taiko ATX, 8Gb Apacer RAM, femto SSD on LPS, Pink Faun I2S ultra OCXO on akiko LPS, home grown RJ45 I2S cable, Metrum Adagio DAC3, RCA 70-A and Miyaima Zero for mono, G2 PL519 tube amps. 

35 minutes ago, MarcelNL said:

play ISO files? how/why play ISO files? I convert FLAC to WAV before playing and not during as it sounds better, play ISO (disc image)??

I have more than a few sacd's on ISO. I know that they are possible to convert into dsf but it really is easier to play them as they are.

3 minutes ago, frejo said:

I have more than a few sacd's on ISO. I know that they are possible to convert into dsf but it really is easier to play them as they are.

more easy for sure, better sounding ...definitely not

ISP, glass to Fritz!box 5530, another Fritz!box 5530 for audio only in bridged mode on LPS, cat8.1, Zyxel switch on LPS, Finisar <1475BTL>Solarflare X2522-25G, external wifi AP, AMD 9 16 core, passive cooling ,Aorus Master x570, LPSU with Taiko ATX, 8Gb Apacer RAM, femto SSD on LPS, Pink Faun I2S ultra OCXO on akiko LPS, home grown RJ45 I2S cable, Metrum Adagio DAC3, RCA 70-A and Miyaima Zero for mono, G2 PL519 tube amps. 

6 minutes ago, frejo said:

No it is not better sounding. It most probably will sound exactly the same since iso is only a container.

Better try it...for a long time I would have agreed with you, no longer....the WAV version sounds better than a FLAC, same file just with all the superfluous data squeezed out. 

Putting a file in a different format such as a container probably means the CPU has to do something more to extract the data than from a WAV or DSD, not saying it does...but of so it may well affect SQ

28 minutes ago, Tatomek7 said:

@MarcelNL did you tinker yourself EPS cables? I did ATX and EPS wiring using Neotech, but when compared with ordinary one, Neotech doesn’t go so deep. Can you share, what wire you use and did you compare it with something else?

I do make my own EPS and ATX cables, using 18AWG Neotech UPOCC (copper in PVC as I HATE the sound fingerprint of teflon, I;d prefer cotton or silk but was too lazy to make my own wire as it is very time consuming and ends up being bulky), decent Molex pins and a good crimping tool. I'm now using UPOCC for years now so I did not test any other wire, but comparing it against the standard Corsair AX1200i wire harness cables it was a clear improvement in clarity, speed, and low end extension. 

What I have noticed is that often an improvement in overall sound quality comes across as lacking in low end extension , or leaner, where it in reality with some closer attention and longer exposure turns out that bass is less smeared making it less 'thumpy' but more detailed better controlled and tighter.

the UPOCC does take a good while to break in though,,,,(andn the ATX cable had much less impact on sound than the EPS cables)

On 9/12/2021 at 2:50 AM, MarcelNL said:

@The Computer Audiophile Can you give me mod rights to thi sthread, or alternatively change the thread title for me please?

I think this build is going places and there are a few others using AMD CPU's yet I think some new folks may not recognize this thread having actual content due to the question I started it with,

What do you want the title of the thread to be?

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

1 minute ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

What do you want the title of the thread to be?

something like 'AMD based server build' or anything without a question mark will do for me, or something you think is better suited. I think the question mark puts people off from thinking there might be actual content in the thread,

thanks!

I just added a tiny (value) fast capacitor to the EPS cable close to the MB, short impression:

cleaner sound

better dynamics

low end gets some more push

51 minutes ago, MarcelNL said:

I just added a tiny (value) fast capacitor to the EPS cable close to the MB, short impression:

cleaner sound

better dynamics

low end gets some more push

Do you have any thing with Polypropylene that seems to work well. These for instance, VISHAY ERO MKP1837.

https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/wima-polyester-capacitors/vishay-ero-mkp1837-polypropylene-capacitor-5mm-160v-01f-p-7928.html

Meitner ma1 v2 dac,  Sovereign preamp and power amp,

DIY speakers, scan speak illuminator.

Raal Requisite VM-1a -> SR-1a with Accurate Sound convolution.

Under development:

NUC7i7dnbe, Euphony Stylus, Qobuz.

Modded Buffalo-fiber-EtherRegen, DC3- Isoregen, Lush^2

no polyprop, I don't care for the sound fingerprint of MKP, think MUCH faster caps. This is one occasion where I have to say I cannot disclose the exact type of cap, sorry. 

Try some exotic stuff, selecting the fastest, lowest ESR caps you can find and it should work even if it's not the same one.

@ASRMichael I was wondering how you fared with the air flow experiment? I notice a big difference when my DAC sits too close underneath the fins of the heatsink. Makes about a 5'C difference measured at the CPU. 

The thermal paste appears to have settled, core temperatures stable at around 55'C with around 40'C at the heatsink, there is a clear temp increase when the CPU gets busy but that fades away as quickly as it comes so I expect this prototype works.

Both low value caps on the end of the EPS cables have broken in, now listening to some of the most detailed and organic sounding music I ever heard.

Now up to to PSU, the Taiko ATX module arrived, now the wait if for bits and bobs to arrive and to pick a transformer and some chokes....I'm leaning towards a 500VA transformer and some higher inductance chokes to get some more fast power storage in the PSU...

Parts are ordered, the wait begins

• 2 weeks later...

20210912_002410.jpg

waiting for the lineair PSU compnents I started ordering the parts for my V1 build, shorter heatpipes a copper plate to serve as clasp and heat buffer for the CPU heat pipe adapter, the case will be made of plywood before I order panzerholz.

Last week I brought the server to an audio gathering and the sound is still not back to what it was.....it's weird how long digital takes to break in and recover.

On 9/16/2021 at 9:43 PM, MarcelNL said:

no polyprop, I don't care for the sound fingerprint of MKP, think MUCH faster caps. This is one occasion where I have to say I cannot disclose the exact type of cap, sorry. 

Try some exotic stuff, selecting the fastest, lowest ESR caps you can find and it should work even if it's not the same one.

why secret

3 minutes ago, NewOldman said:

why secret

simply because it's not my development but a friends work of several years....just trust me that a fast cap will do something nice,.... as in very nice, no extremely nice

10 minutes ago, NewOldman said:

maybe the value

I thought I shared that, the good thing is...my theory; the value does not matter that much as the energy bursts the CPu needs are so short, think micro/nano seconds, so whatever little capacity you add is probably enough.

I used like a couple of 100 PicoFarad of an ultrafast capacitor and was quite amazed by the effect.

12 minutes ago, MarcelNL said:

I thought I shared that, the good thing is...my theory; the value does not matter that much as the energy bursts the CPu needs are so short, think micro/nano seconds, so whatever little capacity you add is probably enough.

I used like a couple of 100 PicoFarad of an ultrafast capacitor and was quite amazed by the effect.

not sure what mean by fast caps? What kind of caps are those, polyester, silver mica, Russian silver mica? Not sure where to start.

Meitner ma1 v2 dac,  Sovereign preamp and power amp,

DIY speakers, scan speak illuminator.

Raal Requisite VM-1a -> SR-1a with Accurate Sound convolution.

Under development:

NUC7i7dnbe, Euphony Stylus, Qobuz.

Modded Buffalo-fiber-EtherRegen, DC3- Isoregen, Lush^2