IGNORED

NVMe SSD designed for audiophiles

I’m trying out Euphony on a 10i7 NUC powered by a 19V 8A LPS… got an internal Samsung EVO 970 plus M.2 SSD and was considering to order an Optane 32GB ( or the apparently better sounding 16GB version?) to replace the 970 plus but after reading this I wonder if I should hold off and try the 970 plus first… got about 20 days of trial left… any else can comment on the 970 plus sound quality?

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Allow me to post some initial findings after finally being able to install Darkforce’s FEMTO M.2 drive courtesy of his beta trial. Since I’m using a fan-less HDplex case there was not enough clearance to mount the drive directly on the NUC10i7’s motherboard.

I received a riser/ extender yesterday allowing to relocate the FEMTO M.2 drive.

Reinstalling Euphony was a breeze and in. In no time I was ready to play music again.

I’ve decided to run in the drive for a few days powered by the motherboard first (my NUC is already powered by a Keces P8 LPS) before changing the power supply setting and taking the 5V from an additional LPS.

The FEMTO M.2 replaces an Optane M.2 which already sounded much better than the Samsung 970 EVO used before.

I barely have 24 hours of running time, too little to comment frankly but so far and I already hear a more relaxed analogue like sound with better controlled bass… micro details are still a bit rolled off but my experience is that after 100 hrs this will improve and sound will open up further… very impressed so far and can’t wait to get to 150 or so hours where I will decide if the time is right to power the FEMTO M.2 drive from the external 

LPS… this should be another major step up… stay tuned.

On 5/14/2021 at 11:05 PM, davide256 said:

@kelvinwsy do give Euphony a whirl with buffer track to RAM options disabled, cache to drive enabled, paying attention in particular to treble. Was having some resonance like

problems with treble on "Ready Player One " 96/24 soundtrack that this helped, will be trying other recordings today with lots of treble energy.

I have buffer track to RAM disabled but how does one enable cache to drive?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have only tested this Revelation Audio SSD with Euphony loaded on it...

I did have Audiolinux with Ramroot using the Samsung EVO SSD but found ramroot sounding too congested, with lack of air and sparkle, collapsed sound stage.

OS wise I went from Roon Rock -> Audiolinux -> Euphony.

The whole idea of this Revelation Audio SSD is to be able to power it from a decent linear power supply instead of the NUC (in my case) motherboard ...

I stopped looking for other audiolinux based OS after running Euphony without ramroot and powered by a Keces P3. You can read my review earlier in this thread with my listening experience.

Enjoy the year end holidays everyone, looking forward to many happy listening moments!

1 hour ago, MarcelNL said:

Not sure for who this message is, I have played with CPU freq in Daphile previously and for now it stays at full speed.

Meant for you and anyone interested in experimenting…. Agreed that running at full speed even in Euphony yields the best results… but have you tried playing around with core isolation? Not sure if that is supported in Daphile… 

3 hours ago, MarcelNL said:

So I now upgraded to femto NVME from an Audiophonics low noise LPSU to an Allo Shanti, due to a an upgrade in Switch and FSP (Finisar 1475BTL) and the new switch needs 12V.....the difference is not trivial, not a MAJOR step but it is a clear improvement.

The combo is a sure winner (the new FSP and the Shanto on the femto NVME)! 

Could you elaborate on which switch you have upgraded? I'm currently using a Linger Audio TCXO 5 port switch and looking for the next step...

They clearly don’t understand the concept of this SSD drive. The whole point is to be able to power to drive of a clean LPS instead of the motherboard. The difference between MB and LPS is clearly audible and provides an audible positive improvement when using a decent linear power supply.  It’s very easily to test as well. Flip the dip switch between internal MB and external LPS and let your ears decide which sounds better.

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...