IGNORED

Bit-identical playback CAN sound different

One of the most clear measures I always apply is the amount of "standing waves" behavior. Several years ago by now I ended with "nothing audible" (but still easily measurable). So if in a corner (pick your own) a lower frequency emerges louder, something is not on par.

But it counts for higher frequencies just the same (buzzing). This will be less caused by room reflections to begin with, but just implies wrong playback behavior.

And no room treatment at all ...

Lush^3-e      Lush^2      Blaxius^2.5      Ethernet^3     HDMI^2     XLR^2

XXHighEnd (developer)

Phasure NOS1 24/768 Async USB DAC (manufacturer)

Phasure Mach III Audio PC with Linear PSU (manufacturer)

Orelino & Orelo MKII Speakers (designer/supplier)

8 minutes ago, PeterSt said:

One of the most clear measures I always apply is the amount of "standing waves" behavior. Several years ago by now I ended with "nothing audible" (but still easily measurable). So if in a corner (pick your own) a lower frequency emerges louder, something is not on par.

But it counts for higher frequencies just the same (buzzing). This will be less caused by room reflections to begin with, but just implies wrong playback behavior.

And no room treatment at all ...

Well my point still stands; that every room and its effects on the sound is different.  So why should we assume that any particular playback software will result in a noticeably different or better sound?

2 minutes ago, March Audio said:

So why should we assume that any particular playback software will always result in a noticeably different sound?

Over 12 years of (Phasure) forum posts do.

Plus it is the very reason I started writing my own. All sound different; Now I at least knew what's in there (as in: no anomalies, no mistakes ... bit perfect).

XXHighEnd (developer)

Just now, jabbr said:

If we accept that a difference in any electronic circuit causes a difference in SQ, then we need to realize that software in fact modifies the electronic circuit in the playback chain. This should be entirely uncontroversial actually. I'm surprised that this debate continues....

The electronic circuit is not modified, in most situations, but the pattern of electrical activity over a certain time period varies, because of software changing the way the circuit operates. Therefore, if there is any breakthrough of electrical noise from the digital to the analogue side causing audible SQ changes, then changing the spectrum of that noise, by changing the nature of the activity, is highly likely to be audible.

14 minutes ago, March Audio said:

Well my point still stands; that every room and its effects on the sound is different.  So why should we assume that any particular playback software will result in a noticeably different or better sound?

It should be fairly obvious that playback software which converts/upsamples and filters the bits might certainly affect the playback. All software provides some type of transform. It should be entirely uncontroversial that software might affect SQ, what is the argument here? This should be entirely uncontroversial.

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

4 minutes ago, fas42 said:

The electronic circuit is not modified, in most situations, but the pattern of electrical activity over a certain time period varies, because of software changing the way the circuit operates. Therefore, if there is any breakthrough of electrical noise from the digital to the analogue side causing audible SQ changes, then changing the spectrum of that noise, by changing the nature of the activity, is highly likely to be audible.

Sorry you just don't understand how computers work if you don't understand how software forms part of the electronic circuit. 

6 minutes ago, jabbr said:

playback software which converts/upsamples and filters the bits might certainly affect the playback.

Jonathan, sure. But this time it is not about those phenomena. Just different buffer settings, for example. Your DAC's driver could do it. Both output the same (net) data (both as bit perfect). Both will sound different.

And this is only that simple first step everybody could apply (with something like a DAC's driver control panel available). ... And then there was software ... As many as players exist, as many different ways they toy with buffers at numerous places.

But indeed, this subject is a bit old-fashioned by now. Still threads like these "have to" emerge in order to prove it to some.

XXHighEnd (developer)

5 minutes ago, jabbr said:

It should be fairly obvious that playback software which converts/upsamples and filters the bits might certainly affect the playback. All software provides some type of transform. It should be entirely uncontroversial that software might affect SQ, what is the argument here? This should be entirely uncontroversial.

There is nothing controversial about the the idea that software which modifies the data has the potential to audibly change the sound.

However we are talking about "bit perfect" software which does not modify the data.

21 minutes ago, PeterSt said:

Over 12 years of (Phasure) forum posts do.

Plus it is the very reason I started writing my own. All sound different; Now I at least knew what's in there (as in: no anomalies, no mistakes ... bit perfect).

So to be clear your position is that it's the rooms modification of the sound which reveals the specific changes one software makes even though every single room makes often very different changes to the sound?

3 minutes ago, March Audio said:

However we are talking about "bit perfect" software which does not modify the data.

As the digital stream enters the DAC it ceases to be entirely digital and becomes an analog signal. No one is saying that the analog streams are identical. 

7 minutes ago, PeterSt said:

Jonathan, sure. But this time it is not about those phenomena. Just different buffer settings, for example. Your DAC's driver could do it. Both output the same (net) data (both as bit perfect). Both will sound different.

"bit perfect" playback has the implication to many people that the unmodified "pure" bitstream enters the DAC.

1) The computer becomes essentially the input filtering stage of the DAC in taking over the upsampling/conversion function which otherwise is typically done my the DAC. Your PCM1704 was often used with an 8x digital interpolation filter (on a separate chip). The connection between the computer and DAC should be seen as forming part of the DAC circuit.

2) at some point the analog characteristics of the digital signal become audible.

9 minutes ago, jabbr said:

I would require measurements that go from 0Hz to RF/EMI. Nothing personal but I’m not holding a breath waiting for someone to do this. Do your testing and publishing it and I’ll take a look. Most tests make lots of false assumptions. 

This wont be a "measurement" test, its a subjective test about what you can hear.

Whatever may or may not be going on out of the audible band, to be audible it must have effect in the audible band.  It must be something you can hear.  So lets see what you can hear.

22 minutes ago, jabbr said:

Sorry you just don't understand how computers work if you don't understand how software forms part of the electronic circuit. 

There is a hardware level - the physical bits of silicon, etc, on the board - and the software level - the instructions that drive the physical bits ... I would class changing the electrical circuit something like software activating a set of relays activating and deactivating two mainframes next to each; so one took over from the other, and the latter had its power cut.

7 minutes ago, jabbr said:

We were just talking about electrical changes and you switched it to subjective hearing tests — your methodology is irrelevant to me.

This thread is clearly about the subjective - what people can hear.  How "Bit-identical playback can sound different"

I would be really grateful if this doesnt degenerate into some pointless semantic argument.  Those that wish to participate in some fun tests can, if you dont thats fine.