IGNORED

HQplayer 4 and Mac-mini M1

Bushikai

8 minutes ago, MikePid said:

@miska

does output buffer time have any effect on Mac to HQP NAA?  If so, is there a recommended value, and is there a downside to a value higher than needed?

I am using the 250ms setting on My Mini M1. I would get an occasional drop-out when using the 100ms setting when HQP was processing hi-res (nx) streaming from Qobuz. Using 250ms I no have this problem. On the M1 buffer setting is more likely to be a problem on the low end whereas on Windows it is the opposite.

Sonore says that, in order to setup the ultraRendu, it has to be connected via RJ45 to the router.

Does it have to remain there, or can it then be moved to the Mac (using RJ45) ??

Or can it be setup whilst connected to the Mac (which is WiFi connected to the router.

Does all of this apply to all NAA's ??

29 minutes ago, Schafheide said:

Sonore says that, in order to setup the ultraRendu, it has to be connected via RJ45 to the router.

Does it have to remain there, or can it then be moved to the Mac (using RJ45) ??

Or can it be setup whilst connected to the Mac (which is WiFi connected to the router.

Generally speaking, NAA devices are designed to be connected to your network, not directly to computers. There are countless means of setting up a home network using routers, switches, access points, etc.  If you don’t have an Ethernet connection to your ultraRendu, then perhaps a WiFi based access point that has Ethernet port(s) might work. Again, lots of means available.

That said, some people here on AS who have network expertise have been able to connect NAA devices directly to computers but that is not typical and not supported by Miska (NAA developer) who always advises using network connections. 

1 hour ago, Schafheide said:

yes

yes, it has to remain there...

ahhh... no...

Yes, the N in NAA literally is NETWORK. it HAS to be connected to the same network your HQP is on.

No electron left behind.

11 minutes ago, Schafheide said:

The problem is that all of my equipment is alongside where I sit (and listen through my headphones). The router is a couple of rooms away. My transport (or M1) is connected very effectively via WiFi to the router (as recommended by Auralic).

Connected to the router means, anywhere on your network and connected to it. Everything on your network, regardless of physical location, is connected to your router.

A really long ethernet cable to your listening room and then to the NAA (of any type) still has it connected to your network. A really long ethernet cable to a switch, with a bunch of other ethernet cables plugged into it, is still connected to your network.

No electron left behind.

10 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

ha. still (barely) aviating. Covid has really put a damper on traveling for business and pleasure.

Being a corporate pilot is a fickle undertaking. I was one once for some years before I gave it up when the large oil company that owned a large store chain (neither of which exist anymore) that I flew for laid me off. I went into the insurance side of aviation and had your area as my stomping grounds for many years. Long story and if we ever met we would have a lot to talk about.

Have a very happy holiday season and stay safe.

Bob

21 minutes ago, bobflood said:

Being a corporate pilot is a fickle undertaking. I was one once for some years before I gave it up when the large oil company that owned a large store chain (neither of which exist anymore) that I flew for laid me off. I went into the insurance side of aviation and had your area as my stomping grounds for many years. Long story and if we ever met we would have a lot to talk about.

Have a very happy holiday season and stay safe.

Bob

Funny, the FAA and the Insurance company are main drivers of most of my flight hours right now as they both insist I stay current!

Safe and happy holiday to you and your family as well.

No electron left behind.

43 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

Connected to the router means, anywhere on your network and connected to it. Everything on your network, regardless of physical location, is connected to your router.

A really long ethernet cable to your listening room and then to the NAA (of any type) still has it connected to your network. A really long ethernet cable to a switch, with a bunch of other ethernet cables plugged into it, is still connected to your network.

Continuing this though, and quoting myself because I can no longer edit:

For example, my router is in the basement in a utility room, it connects to a switch and sends ethernet cables throughout the house and to various access points and end points. All of them, and anything connected to them, are "connected to my router." The reason the Rendu, and any NAA for that matter, have to be "connected to the router" ie: on the network, is that it needs an IP address of its own so other things on the network, mainly the HQPlayer, can find it and send it information, audio in this case. Plugging it into your Mac accomplishes exactly zero.

No electron left behind.

9 minutes ago, Schafheide said:

My mini is connected via wifi through a range extender (rather than ethernet cabling.

Could I plug the NAA into this same range extender or would the wifi be "overloaded" ??

Does this range extender have an outgoing ethernet connection that will function at the same time as the WiFi signal?

Second, IMO wireless is just asking for problems. It would be ridiculously easy and far less hassle in the end to put the work in up front, run an ethernet cable from your router into that room and into a switch and plug various items into that. One of which can be a wi-fi thing, probably. Putting effort in on the front end will greatly reduce headaches and frustrations down the line. Or plug the Mini into the switch as well. Wireless is great for control points, not end points and sources.

No electron left behind.

On 12/5/2021 at 6:10 AM, Schafheide said:

My mini is connected via wifi through a range extender (rather than ethernet cabling.

Could I plug the NAA into this same range extender or would the wifi be "overloaded" ??

You can, as long as you have enough bandwidth. Remember that the upsampled audio takes more bandwidth than the source media. So if you play from NAS, you have the media going over WiFi twice, with the output side having significantly higher amount of data.

Not a problem for my WiFi6 wireless, but YMMV.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

Thanks Miska, this is what I thought. So ethernet is obviously preferred. Fo my Pi, should I get the NAA image or HQP Embedded? Are they both free to licensed HQP users?

If you use it for NAA functionality, it doesn't cost anything extra. Every HQPlayer license includes license for as many NAAs as you need.

You can also disable HQPlayer Embedded and HQPWV services on the HQPlayer OS image to make it pure NAA.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers