IGNORED

HQplayer 4 and Mac-mini M1

Bushikai

2 minutes ago, Schafheide said:

Do you just plug it into the mini which has HQP installed and then connect it via usb to your DAC? What are it's limitations ie will it work at DSD512?

The raspberry Pi connects to your network, and then to your DAC. HQPlayer sends data to it over your network.

edit: A wired network is best.

No electron left behind.

53 minutes ago, Schafheide said:

Is it feasible to wipe MacOS on Mini M1, install Ubuntu 20.04 LTS with latest kernel 5.15. Then install HQPlayer?

Is so can someone explain how they did it?

Because it is Linux, I assume that it will play nativeDSD without the need for a NAA?

No. There are some projects working on porting Linux to M1. It's more than just the kernel, it's drivers and firmware and disk management and GPU and T2 security chip, and all sorts of things. I am following this project https://asahilinux.org and one of it's main contributors twitter.com/marcan42, who is simply amazing.They are making huge headway and may have an installable distro available soon. I wouldn't be surprised if they could already release something simple and useable for the Mac Mini that would meet our needs for HQP but they are mainly focussed on getting Linux running on the MacBook's as that is the big use case - and thus lots of work on the integrated keyboard driver, trackpad, etc, etc. So we will have to wait for that to get completed in the next few months.

[EDIT: I should clarify that there are a number of options already available that will allow you to run Linux as a VM on the M1 ... but of course that's not what we want]

42 minutes ago, Schafheide said:

@MikePid

Thank you for your most useful reply.

1. Can the install be done without using Roon?

2. What is "headless"?

1. Your music needs to come from somewhere.  If you are storing your library on the mini and using HQP to play it, I don't think anything needs to change for the install.

2. headless means no screen/monitor and keyboard/mouse.  You can run it with screen and keyboard/mouse too.  I just wanted something small that sits out of the way in my audio rack like my other boxes, so I didn't want a screen and keyboard.  I don't think there is any performance hit either way.

Good luck with setting things up.  I am really glad I went with this set up.  the mini M1 is an amazing box for the money, which lets me do DSD256 with ECv2.  Currently back to ext2 from guass-long, but it is a real luxury to have so many options!  And the mini is dead quiet and not warm at all despite pushing the performance cores to their limit.