IGNORED

exaSound E68 Stereo DSD512 and 8-Channel DSD256 DAC

7 hours ago, ted_b said:

As a founding member of NativeDSD, I couldn't agree more.  The S88 does wonderful music in DXD (and DSD versions too 👍 ).  Thx

Thanks Ted.  LOL...I spend way too much on music at Native DSD.  But, I am very grateful that music I want is available for download.

Marcus

Hi folks,

I've been "fussing" around with JRiver converting DSD to PCM so room correction is performed.  Why?  Currently, I have distance and crossover set in JRiver Speaker Correction.  It's working for PCM music files and it also works when DSD files are converted to PCM!  I am in the process of analyzing room response using Audiolense XO.  Once measurements are complete, Mitch Barnett (Accurate Sound) will construct the filters.  I'd like these filters to work on all files (including DSD).

-- I created a "zone" for native music files per ExaSound installation instructions.  No issues up through DXD 352.8 and DSD 256.  If I use this zone to play DSD files they play normally, as expected, but JRiver does not include speaker correction.

-- I set another "zone" to convert DSD to PCM.  I changed the sample rate from "no change" to 352.8.  I changed bitstreaming to none.  Everything else is set the same per ExaSound installation instructions.  When playing a dsd64 file, it is rapidly modified and plays with speaker corrections (see screenshot).  When playing a dsd256 file, there is less than a second of buffering but plays perfectly with speaker corrections (see screenshot).  I know it says "convert from 5.0 to 5.1" but that is just for channel mapping.  This does not route any sound  through my subwoofers.

I hope this allows me to use my new DSP filters for all music files.  Does my conversion process look okay to you?

Thanks!  Marcus

DSD64.png

DSD256.png

A little help.

I have two subwoofers.  Currently, I use the LFE output (XLR) of my S88 to a Y splitter and then on to each subwoofer.  Thus, each subwoofer plays the same LFE content.  However, I never use the SL and SR outputs on my S88.  Is it possible to hook up each subwoofer separately using the unused outputs and still get LFE to the subwoofers?

Example, left sub connects to SL channel and right sub connects to SR channel.

Somehow, I would need to route the LFE channel information to the the SL and SR outputs on my S88.  Can this be done?  I looked at both the S88 owner's manual (I can edit the names of the channels is all I can do) and JRiver Wiki.  No luck.

Why?  I will be analyzing my room with Audiolense XO soon and I'd like to analyze each subwoofer separately.

Thanks

Marcus

3 hours ago, Desertpilot said:

A little help.

I have two subwoofers.  Currently, I use the LFE output (XLR) of my S88 to a Y splitter and then on to each subwoofer.  Thus, each subwoofer plays the same LFE content.  However, I never use the SL and SR outputs on my S88.  Is it possible to hook up each subwoofer separately using the unused outputs and still get LFE to the subwoofers?

Example, left sub connects to SL channel and right sub connects to SR channel.

Somehow, I would need to route the LFE channel information to the the SL and SR outputs on my S88.  Can this be done?  I looked at both the S88 owner's manual (I can edit the names of the channels is all I can do) and JRiver Wiki.  No luck.

Why?  I will be analyzing my room with Audiolense XO soon and I'd like to analyze each subwoofer separately.

Thanks

Marcus

Nevermind.   I figured it out.  JRiver (using Parametric Equalizer) offers a remapping capability.  I can "copy" the LFE channel to SR and again to SL channels.  I will test this out but wanted to let everyone know there is this capability.

3 hours ago, Desertpilot said:

Nevermind.   I figured it out.  JRiver (using Parametric Equalizer) offers a remapping capability.  I can "copy" the LFE channel to SR and again to SL channels.  I will test this out but wanted to let everyone know there is this capability.

That's the way to do it.  You might want to attenuate each of the 3 SW channels so that the summed output is not greater than it should be.  Of course,  AudioLense will deal with that.

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

Note that the XLR and single ended outputs of the s88 are active at the same time. For music with my s88, I use a splitter with the XLR sub output to 2 REL subs in front, and a splitter with the single ended sub output to the 2 REL subs in the back of the room (using REL's transmitters to get the sub signal to the back subs).

Hey - just noticed this site where you can download spatial audio Auro-3d and also 9.1 32 bit DXD music! Neat!

Spatial Audio Downloads • TRPTK

Has anyone done the s88 upgrade, msrp $1380, to version 2 yet?

5 hours ago, Steve Bruzonsky said:

Note that the XLR and single ended outputs of the s88 are active at the same time. For music with my s88, I use a splitter with the XLR sub output to 2 REL subs in front, and a splitter with the single ended sub output to the 2 REL subs in the back of the room (using REL's transmitters to get the sub signal to the back subs).

Hey - just noticed this site where you can download spatial audio Auro-3d and also 9.1 32 bit DXD music! Neat!

Spatial Audio Downloads • TRPTK

Has anyone done the s88 upgrade, msrp $1380, to version 2 yet?

Hi Steve.  I love TRPTK's music.  I must have a dozen of their albums.  I tried ATMOS and Auro 3D using 2L's releases on Blu-Ray.  I really didn't get much from it as it's just ambience.  I prefer using my S88 for 5.1.

Epic fail today on my channel mapping journey.  Yes.  I can get the sub signal to my side left and side right channels for independent trim control.  Using the test tones (requiring I use 7.1) in JRiver, I can get tones through all the speakers.  BUT, when I went to play music only my front three speakers were active.  I spent the entire day swapping cable inputs, outputs and changing settings.  Nothing worked properly until I went back to my original setup with a Y connector.  This was just a "nice to have" capability.  I gave up.  Funny, along the way I completely confused myself over "side surround" and "back surround".

Converting DSD to PCM is working like a charm.  Speaker correction is employed.  The ExaSound channel trim VU meters show amplitude by each channel.  One victory is enough for me.

• 2 months later...

What are you getting from your rear surround speakers?

I have my speakers set up in ITU format, 3 speakers up front and two speakers behind me.  No side surround speakers.  Brendon Heinst, recording/mastering engineer from TRPTK, confirmed to me that this is how he mixes surround music.  I suspect that this is the standard.  During setup I used JRiver test tones, trim settings on my S88 (master volume set to 100%) and my handheld SPL meter to make sure I had equal volume through each speaker to the MLP.

I can't hear anything from my rear speakers.  They are supposed to provide ambient sound to recreate the concert hall experience.  What do I do?  I turn up the rear speaker volume using S88 trim controls.  This requires precision.  Too much gain and the rear speakers "compete" with my front speakers.  Too little gain and the rear speakers disappear.  Bert van Der Wolf from Northstar says on his website, he uses "Boundary Layer Microphones" (BLM) which he developed with "Sonodore microphones". Essentially, these microphones can better receive "ambient" sounds during a recording session and are mixed to the rear channels of a 5.1 surround system. He says the SPL of the rear speakers can be increased without competing with the frontal soundstage.  I have a couple of his recent releases and, Yes, I can increase rear speaker gain without too much interference with my front speakers.

I read reviews that praise some recordings for their concert hall "presence" through their rear speakers.  I can get an immersive experience, especially with Bert's recordings, but I still don't really get a concert hall experience.  I'll keep fiddling with S88 trim controls.  But, I'm curious about how you all feel about your rear surround speakers' contribution to your surround experience.

Marcus

Firmware Update 49 is now available for the exaSound Delta Server, s88 and s82 Streaming DACs. We are introducing support for the world's most popular audio player, YouTube. The video experience is included

Until now exaSound servers and streamers supported Qobuz via Roon and third-party apps like Mconnect Player HD and Bubble UPnP. With the new firmware 49 we are introducing Qobuz support with its native user experience.

We are also enabling TuneIn Radio support.

To install the update open the Web user interface of your device, go to the Info page and tap or click the "Check Updates" button. On older versions of the Web user interface updates are managed on the Settings page.

Here is how it works: You need to connect a TV or HDMI monitor to your exaSound Delta server or streaming DAC. Many customers have already done that to use the Roon Display feature. Make sure that you are connecting the correct HDMI or DVI port as described in your Owner's manual. If you are not sure, try both ports. You also need to connect to your device a wireless USB keyboard and a mouse. It is convenient to use a keyboard/mouse pair that shares the same wireless receiver.

You will see the exaSound Web user interface on the HDMI-attached TV or monitor. Go to the General Settings page, scroll down to the bottom and enable "Web Streaming via HDMI". The screen will refresh and you will see a column of icons along the left edge of the display. Use the new icons the way you use any Web browser. You will see the traditional navigation buttons, zoom controls and the icon shortcuts for YouTube, YouTube Music, Qobuz and TuneIn. The exaSound logo button will allow you to get back to the exaSound Web UI settings pages. Use the F11 on the keyboard to cancel full-screen mode.

Another new feature of firmware update 49 is support for Volume Presets.  Volume levels for individual channels often need to be adjusted when different audio zones with different speaker configurations are used. Adjustments may be needed for recordings with different channel balance. The new Volume Presets make it possible to save channel volume levels to named profiles and to conveniently reload them as needed.

Volume Presets are also available with the newly released Windows ASIO drivers version 5.3.54.

The new streaming features are experimental and development continues. Please let us know about your impressions and suggestions.

Thanks to the ExaSound folks!  Both the new ExaSound N1 ASIO driver for Windows and the S88 firmware upgrade installed without any issues.  I have not tried all the features yet, but they are there.  It is comforting to know that ExaSound will improve their products through these upgrades.  

• 2 weeks later...

I've enjoyed fooling around with the new preset function.  Works perfect.  I wish the list of presets were available on the "web dashboard".  I like to select music using my Android Pad through JRemote2.  I would like to also bring up the ExaSound web page to select a preset.  My music server is quite a distance away from my listening position.  My server is connected to my S88 via USB.

What am I doing now?  I have a laptop that lets me "remote" to my server (both are Windows 11).  It's a bit clunky using the laptop rather than my pad.  But, it works.

While setting up the trim presets, I decided to answer my own question about the value of my rear surround speakers.  I was playing a few of my new albums recorded/mastered by Bert van der Wolf.  He masters music in 5.1.  I turned the rear surround trims down to nothing.  Whoa!  The overall volume of my system (employing just the front three speakers) decreased dramatically.  I raised the master volume control to get it back to a similar loudness and the music sounded thin.  I began raising the two back surrounds and music was restored to full fidelity.  Let me not disparage the need for rear surrounds again!  Audiophile stuff is bewildering for sure.  I don't hear my rear surrounds like my front speakers but now I know now they create a fulfilling sound in my listening space.

I set one preset to "normal".  This sets all the trims to an equal volume (established using my handheld SPL meter).  No more having to look up the values if I need to go back to normal volume.

Another preset for full orchestra.

Another preset for solo instruments (solo piano, for example).

I love having this capability.

My recent music acquisitions (all are 5.1 DXD):

Hannes Minnaar:  Shostakovich: 24 Preludes and Fugues 

Hannes Minnaar:  Bach: Goldberg Variations

Simone Lamsma (violin):  Shostakovich: Violin Concerto No. 1

Marcus

• 2 weeks later...

I decided to try using my 75" TLC TV in my family room as a ROON display, and monitor for the web features, of the S88.

Note in the past I have a Google Chrome dongle, and when I choose to use it as a ROON display, its great, the entire screen is filled with the ROON display and easy to read. I understand Google has discontinued this dongle some time ago, too bad, it works great!

Back to using the s88 HDMI out with my 75" TLC TV. First, I tried a bluetooth remote keyboard, from Amazon, and even though I enabled the bluetooth in the s88 menu, the keyboard didn't work, so I'm returning it to Amazon. From what I read in the s88 menu it didn't seem this would work, but I thought I'd try it, but the s88 meny says the bluetooth is experimental and limited to certain functions.

Next I got a USB remote keyboard, with a built-in trackpad (rather than fussing with a separate mouse), which works fine with the s88.

I assume if you use a small computer monitor via HDMI to the s88 that the ROON display or the web display or Qobuz display would work great. But with my 75" TLC TV, the Qobuz print is so tiny you have to get right up to the tv to read it; and the ROON display is only over a  small portion at the center of the tv and there are no lyrics displayed. This is apparently a limitation of the experimental

web functionality of the s88 at least when it comes to using a regular or larger size tv as opposed to a smaller computer display monitor.

Nonetheless, I still totally luv my s88!

4 hours ago, R1200CL said:

@Steve Bruzonsky

If you have an Apple TV, there is a very Nice Roon Remote app available. 

I do have that third party ROON "TV: Remote" app but never use it as its not near as good for finding music as the app on my iPad, iPhone or laptop. But tonight I tried using it as a ROON display while using my laptop ROON as a controller, vs using the Google Chrome dongle as a ROON display. What I found is that the Apple tv app does not show up as a display in ROON Settings, but nonetheless does display what is playing - but if there are lyrics onscreen for the song being played, the lyrics are clearly visible using the Google Chrome dongle but the lyrics are not displayed with the Apple tv app.

13 hours ago, Steve Bruzonsky said:

I assume if you use a small computer monitor via HDMI to the s88 that the ROON display or the web display or Qobuz display would work great. But with my 75" TLC TV, the Qobuz print is so tiny you have to get right up to the tv to read it; and the ROON display is only over a  small portion at the center of the tv and there are no lyrics displayed. This is apparently a limitation of the experimental

web functionality of the s88 at least when it comes to using a regular or larger size tv as opposed to a smaller computer display monitor.

Nonetheless, I still totally luv my s88!

Hi Steve, did you try the zoom controls? You will find the magnifying glass buttons in the vertical toolbar.  You can enlarge the content and this helps.