IGNORED

Article: SMc Audio McCormack DNA 1 Upgrade Experience

Listening in front of a DNA 1.0 Deluxe from the late 90s as I type this. (which originally was used to drive a pair of Vandersteen 2Cis, that are now part of the theater system in the other room)  I had a vague awareness that these upgrades were available, but now you've pretty much guaranteed that I'm going to have to look more closely at my options. Sigh.  :)

Run a pair of Aerial 10Ts with a DNA-500, have been in place since @ 2006.  

Four digital front ends (DACs and CD players) in same span.  

Been wondering about: a) length of service of a SS amp (we had a high end refrigerator give up the ghost last week after 30 years of service); and b) SMc Audio's upgrades versus just buying some Hypex based Class D high powered units, as the 10Ts woke up when I switched out some Sonic Frontiers Power 3 Monos (200 watts from 8 KT88s) for the DNA-500 w/ @900 watts into 4 ohm load.  

Based upon Joe's experience, might have to reach out to SMc, but it will have to wait for work travel to start up. Need musical therapy know more than ever. 

Went to SMc Audio website...well there doesn't seem to be one, just a page with a few photos and an email link?

Tone with Soul

2 minutes ago, 57gold said:

Run a pair of Aerial 10Ts with a DNA-500, have been in place since @ 2006.  

Four digital front ends (DACs and CD players) in same span.  

Been wondering about: a) length of service of a SS amp (we had a high end refrigerator give up the ghost last week after 30 years of service); and b) SMc Audio's upgrades versus just buying some Hypex based Class D high powered units, as the 10Ts woke up when I switched out some Sonic Frontiers Power 3 Monos (200 watts from 8 KT88s) for the DNA-500 w/ @900 watts into 4 ohm load.  

Based upon Joe's experience, might have to reach out to SMc, but it will have to wait for work travel to start up. Need musical therapy know more than ever. 

Hi 57G, interesting you mention Hypex based units. In the time you’ve had the DNA-500, I wonder how many class D modules have been introduced, upgraded, replaced, end of life’d, touted as finally better than A A/B amps, etc... Class D seems like the antithesis of buying excellent products that will last a long time. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Good point. 

Since I have never heard a high powered Class D amp...I guess I might not be impressed.  Though some of the members here have seemed to believe that the Hypex NCore based units are pretty sweet sounding, breakthrough Class D.  Then again, the same guys are now offering the Purifi modules and then there is the noise about GaN technology.

Tone with Soul

having owned a DNA 0.5 that I purchased at Stereo Exchange in NYC in the mid 90's and then a platinum upgraded DNA 0.5 about 15 years later. The SMC upgrades are the real deal and I have no doubt having heard the now 10 year old upgrades that Steve at SMC has continued to push the envelope. 

I'd been in the market for a beater DNA 0.5 to have Steve do his magic to but after your article I may have to wait a bit. (Tonge in cheek here) . I eventually want to pair this up against a my Cary 120 to see which best amplifies the RAAL. 

Great article and I hope you never let go of this amp as they are truly special. 

• 4 weeks later...