IGNORED

iPhone 12 WTF?

4 minutes ago, Jud said:

Academically, absolutely correct. More useful perhaps would be the response that the power through those dedicated wires often still runs when there's a "power outage" affecting electrical appliances in the home. I experienced this many times back when I had a land line.

These days I have a mobile phone and a high capacity external battery-powered charger that should be enough to get me through 2-3 days or more of power outage even if I stayed home and didn't charge the phone in a car, restaurant, etc. And we've never had (knock wood) a power outage of that length since I've been living in my present home. Eventually I want to get a whole home battery that our solar panels can charge so I don't have to worry about power outages. (We're on a shared well - the well association will soon be contracting for a generator setup so we'll have water if power to the well goes out.)

I have long wanted a completely energy independent home with battery storage for a significant amount of time, powered by both solar and wind, and perhaps a propane/natural gas system for cooking and heating, and a wood burning fireplace for aesthetics and backup incase everything else fails in the middle of January. Sadly, it's hard to put up a wind generator in the city, and I don't want to tear down trees to put up solar panels either.

No electron left behind.

• 2 weeks later...
33 minutes ago, jcbenten said:

I am with you...I have long wanted to do solar and something along these lines: https://nordicgrizzly.com/product/600w-12v-24v-vertical-axis-helix-residentail-home-wind-turbine-kit-ae-2/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIlrjA7OHP6gIVjYbACh3-gw1NEAkYCCABEgLWefD_BwE

Put a few on the roof and become a power generator instead of consumer...batteries for storage.  However, while I can do in my neighborhood, there is the WAF issue...If I ever build my external garage in my back yard (I have just over 1.5 acres) I am putting it all in.

EDIT: sorry for the subsequent deleted posts...had computer/internet lockup...or user error or something...

Those look much easier to place than a big tower with blades on it.

No electron left behind.