IGNORED

New D/D Converters from Denafrips

On 5/14/2020 at 9:06 AM, JoeWhip said:

Why not have a USB out?

Because it’s really dang hard to do right and requires a ton of support due to all the variables in the wild. Ask @vortecjr

On 5/14/2020 at 3:51 PM, ducatirider said:

being all digital do you think there's any sound difference between these and a audiobyte hydra z for example.  i'm looking for a usb to aes converter for a bricasti m1 se.

I'm interested to know whether syncronizing with a master clock makes any difference as well.

The Alpha USB is still the top DDC in my opinion, but it has to be put into the right system due to its limitations. For just USB to AES its the way to go. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

27 minutes ago, 57gold said:

Why isn't the stuff in the D to D converter engineered into a DAC? 

Using Berkeley as an example, seems to me that a $5K+ DAC should handle in incoming signal without needing conversion with a $2K box and additional cables.  Why does the clocking mechanism in the DAC not do the job the an external reclocker does?  Do the designers of DACs "forget" as step and need a fix for their products?  

Understood the utility of a D to D converter when I hooked a computer to a Wadia 861, it had no USB in and the Mac had no SPDIF out.  Wavelength and then an Audiophilleo2 did that job nicely.

Great question. 

Berkeley’s decision is all about isolating noise. They believe there’s no better way to do it than in a separate box. 

The inside isolation techniques in the Alpha USB are pretty cool and clever. 

It’s just a philosophy that Berkeley and some other manufacturers believe in. i supposed they could build a box within the DAC but then you’d be purchasing that box again if you upgraded because it’s built in. 

Fortunately there are a million options on the market. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...