IGNORED

Grimm Audio MU1 and MU2 Music Players

FredM

4 hours ago, Nicholas Dong said:

Eelco,When will the next version of the firmware be released, can I add the standby or shutdown function to the Grimm GUI interface, so that I don't have to go to the front of the machine and press the golden disc every time, the golden disc has a very beautiful appearance,  I don't want to smear this perfect golden disc with my damn handprints 😛

The next firmware update will indeed add a 'go into standby' function from within the GRUI. It is not possible to wake the MU1 from standby however, you will still need to turn or click the big knob.

10 hours ago, pmorali said:

Hi All,

Quick question about the "Zone settings" in Roon related to the MU1, specifically the "Zone options", before getting to the "Audio device" setup: How do you recommend the "Volume leveling" options to be set up, Off, Auto, Track or Album?  Have you tried it and detected any impact on the SQ?

Thank you,

Philippe

We recommend to not use this feature and keep it on 'off'. Support of volume leveling in the fpga is on our road map (we have too, since I am 'mr Loudness'). But we need to cooperate with Roon on the metadata exchange part and this takes some time. 

12 hours ago, PYP said:

I wonder why Roon Labs doesn't show Grimm Audio as a partner on their homepage?  Obviously a trivial issue vs. all that Grimm Audio is working on, but it would be free marketing.  

The MU1 needs to (also) become a certified Roon End Point for that. That's in the make... No worries, the people at Roon are very much aware of us and big fans.

• 2 months later...

Dear aangen, Issues like this are usually related to Roon. Sometimes it solves itself after a while (probably related to indexing or so). Sometimes a Roon database reset is needed. Always make sure to regularly make Roon database backups so you can restore it after such a reset. If you need further assistance, please use the support form on our home page. I rather not use this forum to deal with private support questions.

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, pvanosta said:

I just had a first listening session on MU1 FW 1.5 and Roon 1182. I have an issue with DSD and DSF files. Before, any DSD and DSF file in my library played without and issues. Now, any DSD.DSF file shows as playing in the Roon UI, but no sound is produced by the Mu1 / LS1 system. This goes for DSD64, DSD126 and DSD256 (auto-downsampled to DSD128 due to the limitation on the LS1 speakers). Everything else plays fine (24/192 etc).

Update: this issue only occurred when I switched the MU1 from 4x to 2x oversampling. I just switched back to 4fs oversampling and everything plays again...

Good catch, that's a bug... We will look at it soon and solve it in an interim update.

Please note that DSD256 is converted to 4fs PCM natively by the MU1. Only rates higher than DSD256 need downconversion by Roon (which we do not recommend). 

• 1 month later...
On 2/18/2023 at 11:12 AM, pvanosta said:

I think I fixed it. In the MU1 settings, I activated 'second out' to LS1, by pressing the bronze knob twice. Music playing is restored.

Not sure why it needed that. Also not sure that setting was active before.

Anyway, playing DSD64 in native lossless as I type this... phew...

If you do not use the 'second out' option (for instance to switch between your LS1 and a headphone DAC), it's better to turn the option off to avoid the effect of 'double clicking' by mistake. 

Best regards,

Eelco Grimm

• 3 months later...
9 hours ago, Mike123 said:

Did the Grimm Reaper pay a visit to my Mu1? This morning Roon could not lock the Mu1. Mu1 was off with black screen. I usually leave the mu1 on -never turn it off. Unplugged and plugged back in - turned on. Got the scrolling three dots for about 4 min - then nothing.  Any thoughts? Very much appreciated

Dear Mike, if your problem persist, please contact us via the support form https://www.grimmaudio.com/support-form/ and we will look at it asap. All the best, Eelco

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, J. Vitus said:

We tested the MU1 in our system along with the Taiko Audio Extreme. We also own an Aurender N30SA and tried it with a new clock also offered by Aurender (MC10).

For my listening tastes we preferred the Taiko, then the N30, and lastly the Grimm. However, such a comparison isn’t really fair to the MU1, as the N30 is almost twce as much and the Extreme is app 3x much. For the money the MU1 is an excellent value. 

This said, all of us hear differently. We also have different systems. So, everyone’s opinions can vary. 

Did you use the AES (or S/PDIF) outputs of the MU1 or did you play via the network (like with the Taiko and Aurender)? As a network source the MU1 is not very special (just a computer with a very high quality power supply). Its special qualities are only available via the AES and S/PDIF outputs.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

@aangen I am sorry but we will not support read/write on USB drives. Since there is no mechanical lock on a USB connector it is 100% guaranteed that people will unplug the drive at some point without unmounting. We do not want to offer support on that. The workaround is simple: just write files to the MU1 via the network. Tip: make sure to use a wired ethernet connection between the computer and the network when copying files to the MU1. That gives a big speed increase.