IGNORED

Okto Research DAC8 Pro

1 hour ago, Kal Rubinson said:

I have one now.

Sabre based I presume? There isn't much on their website. It's nice to see a straight forward 8 channel product like this.

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

17 hours ago, Kal Rubinson said:

I ran 6 through the Anubis and you can get 8.  Just have to configure it correctly.

Great tip! I wasn't aware of this option, and went to your Stereophile article to understand it.

I see you really liked how it sounded. Have you heard a Lynx Hilo (which is what I have). Same price point, very similar applications targeted. Even the configurability is similar.

15 hours ago, Miska said:

Merging Hapi and Horus

Yeah, those I remember looking into years again and coming out intimidated by the steep learning curve some had reported in using Pyramix software (I think that was the name). Plus the card options weren't so clear to me and it is clearly purposed for other applications. So I left them to the side.

With which card would you configure a Hapi? How steep is the learning curve?

FWIW, I don't know that DSD256 is a requirement. I don't do DSD today and wonder how much horsepower a PC would need to convolve DSD256 filters in HQP.

It would be nice to have the option so I can test it, though 😊

37 minutes ago, LewinskiH01 said:

With which card would you configure a Hapi? How steep is the learning curve?

If you need just D/A, then DA8P obviously. For A/D AKD8DP.

When playing from HQPlayer it is not so much different. There is some configuration to do and you need to make connections from the driver to the DAC so that the system knows where things should go. Yet get more reliable on home networks if you use unicast stream.

45 minutes ago, LewinskiH01 said:

FWIW, I don't know that DSD256 is a requirement. I don't do DSD today and wonder how much horsepower a PC would need to convolve DSD256 filters in HQP.

If your sources are multichannel DSD256 and your output is multichannel DSD256, then it is quite heavy. If your sources are RedBook or something like that, or multichannel PCM at 96k, then it is pretty light weight. Although GPU can help on that. Now there are many CPUs with 8 or more cores, and the biggest CPU available now is 64 cores AMD Threadripper.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

On 2/24/2020 at 12:03 PM, Miska said:

If your sources are multichannel DSD256 and your output is multichannel DSD256, then it is quite heavy. If your sources are RedBook or something like that, or multichannel PCM at 96k, then it is pretty light weight. Although GPU can help on that. Now there are many CPUs with 8 or more cores, and the biggest CPU available now is 64 cores AMD Threadripper.

My sources are 2-channel: convolved into multichannel for an active stereo system.

The DB-25 connector out of the Hapi DA8P is nothing like I've used before. Probably worth exploring further. I guess no audiophile-grade cable for that spot :)

9 minutes ago, LewinskiH01 said:

The DB-25 connector out of the Hapi DA8P is nothing like I've used before. Probably worth exploring further. I guess no audiophile-grade cable for that spot :)

It is industry standard "TASCAM configuration", used by lot of pro-audio gear. I got DB-25 to XLR breakout cables from thomann.de for the purpose.

If it's "audiophile-grade" enough for recording studios, it is for me too... ;)

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

2 hours ago, LewinskiH01 said:

My sources are 2-channel: convolved into multichannel for an active stereo system.

Interesting! I am curious how you do it as I have been considering it myself.  It seems that most of the people listening to MC music are using discrete sources. The music I love is 2 channel only (mostly). I have researched Trifield, Logic 7, etc. 

Bill

Labels assigned by CA members: "Cogley's ML sock-puppet," "weaponizer of psychology," "ethically-challenged," "professionally dubious," "machismo," "lover of old westerns," "shill," "expert on ducks and imposters," "Janitor in Chief," "expert in Karate," "ML fanboi or employee," "Alabama Trump supporter with an NRA decal on the windshield of his car," sycophant

22 hours ago, Bill Brown said:

Interesting! I am curious how you do it as I have been considering it myself.  It seems that most of the people listening to MC music are using discrete sources. The music I love is 2 channel only (mostly). I have researched Trifield, Logic 7, etc. 

Bill

Certainly!

I create filters with Acourate software, then use those filters to convolve in Roon. And my only source is a computer streaming from either a hard drive or Tidal.

I started with these articles. The second one answers your question, yet the first one covers the basics to build upon:

58 minutes ago, LewinskiH01 said:

Certainly!

I create filters with Acourate software, then use those filters to convolve in Roon. And my only source is a computer streaming from either a hard drive or Tidal.

I started with these articles. The second one answers your question, yet the first one covers the basics to build upon:

ahh....I see. Yes, that is what I am hoping to do at some point as well. Separate amps/signals from a MC DAC to each driver. 

I misunderstood when I read “multichannel” that you were going from two speakers to perhaps 5 or so from 2 channel material. 

My mistake :) 

Labels assigned by CA members: "Cogley's ML sock-puppet," "weaponizer of psychology," "ethically-challenged," "professionally dubious," "machismo," "lover of old westerns," "shill," "expert on ducks and imposters," "Janitor in Chief," "expert in Karate," "ML fanboi or employee," "Alabama Trump supporter with an NRA decal on the windshield of his car," sycophant

Having started this thread, I thought it worth noting that I decided to purchase an Okto DAC8 Pro. What I didn’t realize — as it’s in the small print on the website — is that they ship 1-2 MONTHS after placing an order. So, I have a long (impatient) wait ahead to get the device. Be aware, should you order one. The company doesn’t seem to respond to emails, either. 

Meanwhile, I do successfully listen to multichannel by using three 2-channel Musical Fidelity V90 DACs linked together by the miniDSP UDIO-8 interface. I can say that it sounds very nice and was a quite inexpensive $800 investment to accomplish. As @Kal Rubinson has written, the miniDSP device opens the door to an unlimited assortment of multichannel DACs on top of the dedicated ones mentioned above in this thread. Just not sure they are clocked together. @Kal Rubinson, what do you know about that?

And have you opened that box on the Okto product yourself yet?  JCR 

12 minutes ago, jrobbins50 said:

As @Kal Rubinson has written, the miniDSP device opens the door to an unlimited assortment of multichannel DACs on top of the dedicated ones mentioned above in this thread. Just not sure they are clocked together. @Kal Rubinson, what do you know about that?

There is only one clock in the U-DIO8 and it is the one in each of the outputs.

14 minutes ago, jrobbins50 said:

And have you opened that box on the Okto product yourself yet?

???  I am listening to it now but I have not tried the U-DIO8 with it, if that is what you mean.

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

Thanks, @Kal Rubinson.  Your answer that the UDIO-8 has a single clock that is used by each output may answer the concern of @mitchco, whom I am working with in implementing improved convolution filters using Audiolense XO. As to time aligning all speakers in my main system, Mitch has expressed the concern that the clock might be compromised across three DACs. He therefore has recommended that I wait to move further on our project until the Okto DAC8 Pro eventually shows up on my doorstep, it being just one DAC. I am not a clock person, but the way you describe hints that the V90 stack should be stable. Not sure if you have a specific opinion on this, but sure would appreciate your thoughts.

And on the subject of hints, perhaps you’d opine early as to whether queuing up for one of the Okto’s is a good decision.  No, I did not mean using a UDIO-8 with the Okto. Cheers. JCR  

I was able to test the DAC8 PRO for a couple of days as part of its"French tour", see my report here  

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/review-and-measurements-of-okto-dac8-8ch-dac-amp.7064/page-57#post-310548

Tests could not be comprehensive due to limited time, but SQ-wise the DAC8PRO is to me on par with my Exasound E28.

Main issue today is that it lacks a good Windows ASIO driver - I hope it will come out soon. I had no problem streaming multichannel DSD128 from a Linux-based streamer though. At a price point of 1000€ I doubt there is somehitng on the market that can outperform the DAC8 PRO today.