IGNORED

RAAL-requisite SR1a Has Landed

Just now, cfisher said:

Great to hear. Thanks for the quick reply.

I asked Mitch to write an article about measuring the SR1a and creating the filter, describing everything etc... He has been very busy with the release of HLC, so I don't know when he'll have time to write it up. 

Convolution tillers with headphones is a great thing. Mitch only needs one pair of the headphones to create the filter, then he can sell the filters to anyone who wants them. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Well, since I am an HQPlayer user it would require me to dial back upsampling to 192k (and add DSD-to-PCM) which would then be an interesting a/b comparison (32fs without HLC vs 4fs with HLC).  If HLC is an overall winner it would significantly reduce the heavy lifting by the server.  Note: this is all RAAL-related; I doubt I am a candidate for HLC in my upcoming main system. 

I may have missed it but does Mitch do trials?

42 minutes ago, ted_b said:

Well, since I am an HQPlayer user it would require me to dial back upsampling to 192k (and add DSD-to-PCM) which would then be an interesting a/b comparison (32fs without HLC vs 4fs with HLC).  If HLC is an overall winner it would significantly reduce the heavy lifting by the server.  Note: this is all RAAL-related; I doubt I am a candidate for HLC in my upcoming main system. 

I may have missed it but does Mitch do trials?

Oh no. This is misinformation. 

The convolution filter for HQP, per Jussi's recommendation, is 352.8 kHz, split into mono left and right channels. This is perfect for going to 16fs or 32fs. It's what I do every day and it's fantastic. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

1 hour ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Oh no. This is misinformation. 

The convolution filter for HQP, per Jussi's recommendation, is 352.8 kHz, split into mono left and right channels. This is perfect for going to 16fs or 32fs. It's what I do every day and it's fantastic. 

I could have sworn I read, and not made up, that the HLC had to come after HQP upsampling, and that it was 192k.  ?  So, please clear up this misinformation.  Are you saying Mitch will sell us HQP users the convolution settings?

38 minutes ago, ted_b said:

I could have sworn I read, and not made up, that the HLC had to come after HQP upsampling, and that it was 192k.  ?  So, please clear up this misinformation.  Are you saying Mitch will sell us HQP users the convolution settings?

There is no need to use HLC with HQP. Just have Mitch create the filters and load them into HQP. 

HLC is a different animal. 

And since RAAL does not involve room acoustics, it is a constant, Mitch can send out filters knowing only the RAAL response?  I assume he charges something for this?  I will contact him.  Thx

2 minutes ago, ted_b said:

And since RAAL does not involve room acoustics, it is a constant, Mitch can send out filters knowing only the RAAL response?  I assume he charges something for this?  I will contact him.  Thx

Headphones are headphone, with some strange exceptions I suppose. Mitch measures them with inner ear microphones and creates the filters. With the RAALs he adjusts them to several positions too, just to see what the difference is or if it matters etc...

He has a pair of RAALs that he has been measuring and working on filters for. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi @cfisher, the website will take a bit of time to get setup. In the meantime, people can contact me at [email protected] and purchase the RAAL requisite convolution filters for US $250.00 via PayPal. Each filterset includes sample rates from 44.1 kHz to 384 kHz as stereo .wav files. As Chris described, there are 3 filtersets in this package. One neutral, one with bass extension and one with both bass and treble extension.

Kind regards,

Mitch

1 minute ago, mitchco said:

Hi @cfisher, the website will take a bit of time to get setup. In the meantime, people can contact me at [email protected] and purchase the RAAL requisite convolution filters for US $250.00 via PayPal. Each filterset includes sample rates from 44.1 kHz to 384 kHz as stereo .wav files. As Chris described, there are 3 filtersets in this package. One neutral, one with bass extension and one with both bass and treble extension.

Kind regards,

Mitch

Thanks for the quick response. Be in touch soon!

I installed the filters this afternoon. What a difference! The filters do an awesome job of removing a digital edge/ glare - that i didn't know was there. It is so much smoother and more refined. Also, the bottom end added with two of the filters provides a much more solid foundation to all music I have tried and with no bloat. This is the best $250 I have every spent on audio. Amazing job Mitch! 

15 minutes ago, jlbrach said:

how exactly does this work?....I presently use my sr1a with the hsa-1b via roon  and my chord dave/blu2....how would I actually use these filters with the setup I have presently have?

Very easy to do with Mitch's step by step instructions but it must be done through a macbook or PC not an IOS device - maybe the more technically inclined have a work around for this? So I am now using my macbook to control rooner server. Filters are truly great!

1 hour ago, jlbrach said:

how exactly does this work?....I presently use my sr1a with the hsa-1b via roon  and my chord dave/blu2....how would I actually use these filters with the setup I have presently have?

1 hour ago, spotforscott said:

Very easy to do with Mitch's step by step instructions but it must be done through a macbook or PC not an IOS device - maybe the more technically inclined have a work around for this? So I am now using my macbook to control rooner server. Filters are truly great!

Adding the filters is done with a computer. Once added, any Roon remote still works as normal. The filters are stored in Roon. 

2 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Adding the filters is done with a computer. Once added, any Roon remote still works as normal. The filters are stored in Roon. 

That's what I thought would happen but it doesn't at least not for me. On my ipad, the filters are not available even though roon has them and are visible through my mac. So maybe there is a trick I am missing, I don't know?

8 minutes ago, spotforscott said:

That's what I thought would happen but it doesn't at least not for me. On my ipad, the filters are not available even though roon has them and are visible through my mac. So maybe there is a trick I am missing, I don't know?

No tricks necessary. Make sure to save the filters as presets in the DSP area. The presets will be available from any device. 

Chris, I apologize, as I am WAY out of my depth on this. Clearly, with the results you have seen, I must have these filters. However, I believe I would have to buy at least an entire server of some significant power, at the very least? I've seen the recommended server builds for HQP and filters with costs that would buy a decent automobiles! 

My current digital setup is based around my NAS, a Small Green Computer Sonic Transporter (i5 based), my Lampizator Golden Gate DAC, the Sonore System Optique, Roon, and my iPad. 

What is the minimum I would have to invest, and how would I do it, to allow me to run HQ Player, and these filters effectively, as I am  assuming these filters are to be utilized with HQP only? And again, forgive me for my lack of knowledge in this particular area. It lies in the pure computer and software part of audio that is my weak point and which I have no experience in. 

I would greatly appreciate any help and guidance. Anything that will take the SR1a's to another level is something I can't be without. Just wondering if I will need to sell blood, or pre-sell key body parts to do it. 

JC

8 minutes ago, TubeLover said:

Chris, I apologize, as I am WAY out of my depth on this. Clearly, with the results you have seen, I must have these filters. However, I believe I would have to buy at least an entire server of some significant power, at the very least? I've seen the recommended server builds for HQP and filters with costs that would buy a decent automobiles! 

My current digital setup is based around my NAS, a Small Green Computer Sonic Transporter (i5 based), my Lampizator Golden Gate DAC, the Sonore System Optique, Roon, and my iPad. 

What is the minimum I would have to invest, and how would I do it, to allow me to run HQ Player, and these filters effectively, as I am  assuming these filters are to be utilized with HQP only? And again, forgive me for my lack of knowledge in this particular area. It lies in the pure computer and software part of audio that is my weak point and which I have no experience in. 

I would greatly appreciate any help and guidance. Anything that will take the SR1a's to another level is something I can't be without. Just wondering if I will need to sell blood, or pre-sell key body parts to do it. 

JC

You have Roon and an SGC server. That’s all you need. 

6 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

HQP isn’t needed to use the convolution filters. 

Thanks again Chris. Sorry for my misunderstanding. So I can purchase them from Mitch, and after downloading them to my pc, there is  a way to move those files to the SGC Sonic Transporter, access them within Roon, and from there, an ability to utilize them via my iPad Roon interface? 

JC

11 minutes ago, TubeLover said:

Thanks again Chris. Sorry for my misunderstanding. So I can purchase them from Mitch, and after downloading them to my pc, there is  a way to move those files to the SGC Sonic Transporter, access them within Roon, and from there, an ability to utilize them via my iPad Roon interface? 

JC

I'lll create an article for it, but I think Mitch provides the instructions. It's easier than you describe. 

In Roon you just browse to the zip file Mitch gives you, and Roon ingests it and saves it on your SGC server. 

32 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I'lll create an article for it, but I think Mitch provides the instructions. It's easier than you describe. 

In Roon you just browse to the zip file Mitch gives you, and Roon ingests it and saves it on your SGC server. 

Great. Thanks so much for clarifying things Chris. Much appreciated. 

JC

• 1 month later...