IGNORED

Building a DIY Music Server

On 5/27/2022 at 5:15 PM, elan120 said:

I use Neotech copper to connect between my ULPS and server.  Not sure if there are better choice, but it is working nicely for this application.

Here is what that cable looks like:

20220527_075428.thumb.jpg.34c65541bceda512967676fefc4cb246.jpg

Why not use Neutrik Speakon 4 pole connectors,
only <2 mΩ contact resistor,
and can handle up to 10AWG

• 1 month later...
28 minutes ago, Nenon said:

I've had some conversations with Emile recently, and he is nearly convinced to sell his custom Mundorf HC caps (220,000 uF) and his Taiko mosfet rectifier to the DIY crowd.

The Taiko rectifier was a part of the original recipe for the DIY ULPS and that is what I used in mine. The Saligny was an alternative replacement since Taiko did not want to sell their custom parts. But now that they are focussing on a battery based power supply, those parts are sitting unused, and we can put them to good use. 

The custom Mundorf capacitor sounds amazing (after a very very long burn-in time) and it is a space saver. ULPS v3 will look like this: Noratel transformer --> Taiko rectifier --> capacitor --> choke --> capacitor --> choke --> capacitor (220,000 uF). I haven't seen one of the DIY chassis yet (ordered one just before they ran out) but it's very likely that it will all fit nicely in the chassis. 

And a quick note to those using the Noratel transformer - you can remove the softstart and will hear an improvement. But don't do that with other transformers. 

It makes no sense to post about stuff that is not obtainable (i.e. custom Paul Hynes LPS comes to mind), and so I avoided talking much about the custom Mundorf capacitor that I got from Taiko, because there were no plans to make this available. But now that Emile is planning to make those available, I can share. That cap brings the v3 ULPS to the next level. It is a lot better than using multiple 22,000uF or 47,000uF Mundorf HC caps. Everything gets better. You just need to have patience for about 4-6 months as that's how long it takes to complete the burn-in process. 

In fact, someone just compared my ULPS (Taiko rectifier and custom Mundorf cap) to a custom Paul Hynes DR7 and reported that everything was better with my ULPS feeding the Taiko ATX. If I can quote one of the several excited messages: "everything is better. Better bass, quieter background, bigger soundstage, more holographic." and "Now I understand. Clear difference between the previous supply and this one.".

I don't know how much of that is due to the Taiko rectifier and the custom Mundorf capacitor, but I know that the custom Mundorf capacitor was a quite significant improvement in my system. 

Emile and I also chatted about some other development at Taiko. I know very little (most of the stuff in their R&D lab is kept a secret, and I don't have access to that level of info). And the very little I know I can't share. But if I try to connect some dots, my prediction is that the Taiko USB card might be available to non-Taiko users next year. This is not an official news from Taiko but rather my own guess.  

very interesting !!

"Noratel transformer --> Taiko rectifier --> X uF ?--> choke --> X uF ? --> choke --> capacitor (220,000 uF)"

1 minute ago, Exocer said:

Exciting!

Can I get in queue for 1 of each item shown above? Interested in why there is a lone 22,000uf 40v Mundorf AG there besides the rectifier board.

7 minutes ago, Nenon said:

Received a nicely packed packed from Oldenzaal:

image.thumb.png.5f20d6b12e2a04bca0592bb3a5f8d886.png

image.thumb.png.bd4158b99e4a751438cf7f4e2acaf2f8.png

image.thumb.png.f6b63228a3a929b996583cdaaf323451.png

image.thumb.png.5cf695d371d8a423901439eae6dcac61.png

very nice

any price yet ?

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

To consider when feeding the Jcat USB board from the Molex or 2.1 DC socket,
Remember that there are two different circuits with different capacitors,
Differences may be due to the capacitors not being stabilized/burned in

There is also better metal in the DC connector,
Homogeneous brass
Molex pins are made of thin sheet metal

• 3 months later...
22 hours ago, MarcelNL said:

and on another note, these appear fairly generic network settings...pretty sure I came across some of these when adjusting the firmware settings of the Solarflare card....lemme check... 

There is no such thing as general settings for a network card, all are purposeful and specific for each area of use,
And all values can both improve and degrade the sound

14 hours ago, baconbrain said:

Good one! Any heat issues with the Digitus Card and which SFP module are you using?

No heat problems,

I have never had any heat problems with Nic in either server or CAPS computers,
But I have exclusively used Intel Nic all these years
everything from 350, 520,540, 720 series both SFP and RJ45

5 hours ago, Nenon said:

1GbE

The Taiko NIC and switch combo sounds amazing, at least with the Taiko Extreme. IMO, this is the best product Taiko has released so far. But it's not just the NIC as a standalone product, but the whole package. I would not buy the NIC without the switch. The switch consumes less power than an OCXO clock when using a DAC cable. The combo significantly brings down the noise floor. It sounds more dynamic, more realistic, bass gets a lot better, etc.  

I have also suggested to a few people to look at the installation script and try some of those settings. There are equivalent settings for Linux as well. Surprised no one has posted about that yet :).

All settings from Takio NIC Script are applicable to almost all Intel Nic,

If you get too many red warnings when you run the Powershell script, remember that you must disconnect the Fiber/RJ45 connector from the network card, otherwise not all values will be changed,
And the easiest way to run the script is to change the file extension of the ps script to txt and open it with a text editor, then start cmd promt and then type powershell,
copy the script in script.txt and paste in the powershell cmd

13 hours ago, MarcelNL said:

most NIC cards are designed for server rooms...so they tend to run hot at ambient temp since server rooms are freezing cold...

I'm having to adapt the Solarflare x2522 with heatsink and heatpipes or it'll cut out in 5 minutes flat due to temp issues.

Would say so
Because there are lots of NICs that are meant for workstations and desktops that sit in the common office environment
And it's not that cold in a server hall
it is usually between 16-22 degrees C

I have never experienced such problems more than once when I bought a fake Intel card from China / Ebay,

Most often such problems are due to incorrect implementation and mismatch of PCIe Gen1/2/3/4 card slots and card and power management settings in Bios

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Nenon said:

It doesn't really make a lot of sense to use a DAC cable unless you are using the Taiko switch. The Taiko switch is optimized for ultra low power consumption and lower latency and the DAC cable is part of it. 

The DAC cable does not have any isolation, and noise easily passes between the switch and the server. It's better to use a RJ45 ethernet cable as the signal on the RJ45 ethernet cable typically goes through small isolation devices (mini transformers). They probably can't do miracles but are usually better than using a straight wire (like the DAC cable does). 

Fiber vs DAC vs Ethernet, what to choose in a data center? | Blogs La Salle | Campus Barcelona (salleurl.edu)

dac cables vs fiber - Sök på Google

Some good info