IGNORED

HOLO Audio MAY DAC

4 hours ago, simonklp said:

@ted_b Thank you very much for your above sharing earlier. I have similiar query or uncertainty for long time before reading your message.

It is because I have also found that playing music in PCM on May is outstanding probably due to its R2R architecture and extremely low THD+N level. However, I also enjoy very much playing music in DSD on T+A DAC 8 DSD by using HQPlayer. My feeling is that the SQ from the DSD side of May may not be as good as that of T+A DAC 8 DSD. Although playing music in PCM on May is very good, it seems lacking the holographic or 3D feeling of playing music in DSD by HQP. How would you compare it with playing music in DSD on T+A DAC 8 DSD?

I would like to seek for kind sharing or comment on this issue. Thanks.

BTW, what did you mean by playing 32fs PCM on May? Thanks again. Cheers. 

I have not heard the T+A dac, sorry.  And 32fs simply means 32 times 44.1k (or 48k), which is 1.411Mhz and 1.536Mhz.

This is the specs of analog output:

MAY: 

48k NOS PCM:

THD+N 0.00017% @1K(-115dB)

DNR 130dB

2.9Vrms (RCA) , 5.8Vrms (XLR)

128X DSD:

THD+N 0.00025% @1K(-112dB)

DNR 115dB

1.45Vrms (RCA), 2.9Vrms (XLR)

SPRING 3: 

PCM: THD+N 0.00032% @1K(-110dB)

DNR 127dB

DSD: THD+N 0.00035% @1K(-109dB)

DNR 115dB

Same output voltage 

The DNR difference between pcm and dsd is 15dB (or 12dB for S3) 

Could it be for this reason that many prefer PCM on Holo dacs? 

Doepke DFS2/ Gigawatt C16A + 044/ Lc-y Evo/ LC3-EVO /LC2-Evo/ LC-3 MK3/ Toroidy DC Blocker/ Hdplex H5 / Windows 10 Pro1903 AO3 + Fidelizer Pro 8.10/ JPLAY Femto/ Crosshair VIII Dark Hero/ Ryzen 9 5950X/ Optane P1600X/ Apacer 2x4GB DDR4 ECC 2666/ Jcat Usb XE/ Jcat Net XE /Audiowise Opto USB/ Sablon USB Evo/ 2x Paul Hynes SR4T for Jcat / 2x Baaske NET Isolator MI 1005/ Ethernet cable Viablue EP-7S/ Sablon Ethernet 2020 /Fidelizer StreamHub/ All Dc cables Neotech Occ JSSG360 /Hdplex 500W DC ATX/ Holo Spring 3 KTE/ Audio Research LS5 (4x E188CC Red Label/ 4x RCA 12BH7A Black Plates/ 2X Brimar 12BH7 Black Plates)/ Proceed HPA2 (Mark Levinson 432)/ Scansonic MB 3.5B + Iso Acoustics Gaia III / Townshend Isolda EDCT/ 2x Townshend DCT 300 XLR/ Synergistic Research Purple Fuses In Hdplex, 2x SR4T, Preamp, Dac/ 4X Townshend Seismic Pods

What sort of realistic situation would exist where the difference between 115 and 130 dB DR could be realized? Considering room noise floor - methinks you'd destroy your hearing before that could be "heard."

Ryzen 3900x Roon Core PC -> Intel i9900k HQPlayer W10 machine -> iFi Zen Stream NAA

Holo May KTE, Benchmark LA4 preamp

SMC Audio upgraded DNA-125 Amp

Dynaudio Confidence C2 Platinum speakers

Vinyl rig - Schiit Sol, Nagaoka MP-500, Mod Squad PhonoDrive phono stage

Don't think there is one. That's why the obsession over Sinad by some is ridiculous.

I think high Sinad is probably a sign of good engineering, but it's not a guarantee of much else. After a certain point it doesn't mean much.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

@Miska

But in both sets of graphs it looks like the noise is mostly 120 db down. Is it audible at all?

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

55 minutes ago, firedog said:

But in both sets of graphs it looks like the noise is mostly 120 db down. Is it audible at all?

Sometimes. It is quite complex topic... So I'd like to avoid sweeping statements about audibility one way or other.

These are not the only measurable differences between PCM and DSD sides either. To me, those sides sound different. And I personally prefer DSD side.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

1 hour ago, firedog said:

@Miska

Sounds at -120dB are not audible by themselves, but Rob Watts of Chord explains that as the noise floor is lowered the depth of sound stage is increased. See video below.

5 minutes ago, Cogito said:

Sounds at -120dB are not audible by themselves, but Rob Watts of Chord explains that as the noise floor is lowered the depth of sound stage is increased. See video below.

I don't agree with Rob Watts in general with most things. Not on this either.

For me, subjectively, DSD side has more authority, weight and kick (as I've explained earlier, with a bit different words). Without becoming congested as easily. But I wouldn't state it is about noise floor level as such.

4 hours ago, Miska said:

I don't agree with Rob Watts in general with most things. Not on this either.

For me, subjectively, DSD side has more authority, weight and kick (as I've explained earlier, with a bit different words). Without becoming congested as easily. But I wouldn't state it is about noise floor level as such.

I might have a track to suggest to illustrate and for everybody to try : Fever on Elvis Presley's Elvis is back.  If I play PCM (from the DCC CD) I can follow good ol' Michael Fremer who hears finger snaps, more or less fleshy depending on he used a 450 000 or 560 000 $ turntable. If I go 256 7EC (and even more so if I source from the AP SACD), Fever's rhythmic sounds like the 2 parts of castanets are hit one against the other : distinctively sharp, quite dry and woody to my ears and unmistakably (or am I mistaken ! wonder what you guys will report !) so and not finger snaps. Now I confess I had not tried PCM 1536 for weeks and I can understand how it might be judged more palatable and rewarding, especially if one's system does not involve convolution : felt like lowering volume when going from PCM to SDM, as if adding 6 dB to SDM was too much. BTW, I love Closed Form 16 M, a new favorite provided apodizing counter does not go berserk.

On 9/27/2021 at 1:40 PM, Extreme_Boky said:

Well, according to Jeff Zhu, PCM and DSD DAC sections are separate paths (both discrete). So... you can draw your own conclusion from that statement.

hMM, think the things you listed for potential burn in benefit appear pretty common to both paths, don't they? However reassessing PCM 1536 vs DSD 256 on the Spring 3, I feel like now writing : it depends ; while I was 100% pro SDM before burn in. Most comfortable claim would be change of mind or special mindset this morning but can we rule out that by nature the R2R path is more susceptible to burn in while that burn in has not been R2R specific? 

4 minutes ago, Miska said:

I have not noticed any burn-in stuff, the Spring's I've had for years haven't changed at all over time. Always sounded the same...

Which I consider a good thing, I'd hate gear that keeps drifting around...

Then I have to consider PCM just as another option, one I might like if and when desiring a more palatable sound for whatever reason, including the shape I'm in. However I appreciated it with closed form, not the filter with the best reputation for palatable (with tracks without apodizing issues). I like the idea there that if the idea is to keep PCM PCM then the chosen filter should be as neutral as possible : is that a correct assumption regarding Closed Form M vs often preferred/quoted M and L? 

13 minutes ago, firedog said:

I just listened to a 24/96 version of that track and it sounds like finger snaps to me. Acc'd to the Wikipedia album page, it's finger snaps. Interestingly, when I use HQP to play it back in DSD 256 7EC, I'd say it sounds less like finger snaps (less fleshy, more hard/sharp), but I'd still  identify it as finger snaps if you asked me. 

Same upsampling filter in both cases? Do you notice a difference for example between poly-sinc-short-mp(-2s) and poly-sinc-gauss-long?

2 hours ago, firedog said:

I just listened to a 24/96 version of that track and it sounds like finger snaps to me. Acc'd to the Wikipedia album page, it's finger snaps. Interestingly, when I use HQP to play it back in DSD 256 7EC, I'd say it sounds less like finger snaps (less fleshy, more hard/sharp), but I'd still  identify it as finger snaps if you asked me. 

Wikipedia's source is hardly hard proof ; interesting that you confirm the track as revealing of PCM/DSD differences. when done right I could mistake my finger actual snaps with castanets but then on Fever there is not he slightest hint of fingers' friction prior to the snap

finger snaps.png

2 hours ago, Miska said:

But I'd say (2), to me, subjectively gives best insight to what is on the recording.

So far, I predominanly use the RME ADI 2 FS for Headphone listening.

I know it is subjective... but for you....does the Spring 3 offer more "inisight" of whats on the recording vs the RME?

Thanks, Michael

3 hours ago, mikel said:

So far, I predominanly use the RME ADI 2 FS for Headphone listening.

I know it is subjective... but for you....does the Spring 3 offer more "inisight" of whats on the recording vs the RME?

No, I think both are very similar in this respect. Important thing to note about ADI-2 is that it has been around with three different DAC chips! My ADI-2 Pro and ADI-2 Pro AE are the first generation.