IGNORED

The problem with subjective impressions

Summit

33 minutes ago, Solstice380 said:

I know that you have a pretty good grasp on some science fundamentals, but an area where you aren't as familiar as law is the scientific / engineering world.  I have been published in refereed journals and been a reviewer.  In the science world you have to tell someone specifically where and why their assumptions or conclusions aren't / can't be correct.  There are no ifs, ands or buts - it's all physics.  Somebody failed to tell the cold-fusion folks they had their heads somewhere besides in the lab.  There are nicer ways to say it, perhaps, but as scientists and engineers it is our responsibility to not let the idiots of the world try to make shit up as they go.  People also aren't always good at communication (No, really?) so the way they write conflates facts with subjective impressions.  And, some just don't know the difference in their own mind.

Let me pose a hypothetical situation involving communication between an engineer and a layperson.

You're an engineer, and your neighbor tells you about a fuel additive he's using in his car that you know for a fact can't work. Do you figure you'll get a more positive reception confronting him as directly as possible, or trying to help him understand in a friendly way that this stuff won't work?

You explain to him it won't work and why, but he persists in believing and in purchasing the additive. Do you suppose you'll meet with better success if you repeatedly explain to him why he's wrong?

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

53 minutes ago, Solstice380 said:

I know that you have a pretty good grasp on some science fundamentals

One additional thought: The only reason I have any grasp at all of science fundamentals is because I listen to people like you. And that's a whole lot easier when it's a pleasant interaction.

Obviously the layperson in these interactions can make it unpleasant - I'm not absolving laypeople of their own responsibility at all.

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.