IGNORED

Article: Allo USBridge Sig Review

3 minutes ago, suzywong said:

Now add the DigiOne Signature and see what it can really do! :):)

I have that board set in my system and will be testing it.  I have nothing to directly compare to so I do not know how good the coax input on the Kii Control is.  ( also want to get a better made cable for it.)  Soon.  

Initial testing is positive.  Hard to A/B till I get a my second USBridge Sig in the system.

3 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

This reminds me of a panel I was on at RMAF around 2009. I told the audience that Linux was the future of audio. The “expert” manufacturers on the panel looked at me like I had no idea what I was talking about :~)

Based on the number of Linux HiFi devices vs other operating systems available now, I’d also say Linux is here to stay. 

It is really amazing the number of devices that we now have running some variant of Linux.  Some 10 years on folks have learned!  Including myself.  In my system the fact that Linux MPD does so well was a very happy occurrence.  

I think it is also wonderful that small companies such as Allo, Sonore, Qobuz, MoodeAudio, AudioLinux, Euphony, and so many more are bringing us so much enjoyment.  

What is also interesting to me is the differences I can hear in all of these implementations.  

2 hours ago, Richard Dale said:

I use Rigelian on an iPad in conjunction with moOde running on Rasperry Pis in my systems and it is a really nice combination. I haven’t found anything as good as BubbleUPnP on Android to use with a DLNA backend on my iPad. The advantage of Rigelian is that it uses the native MPD protocol and has canned configurations for moOde, Volumio and Rune to handle the cover art (you need a file called ‘folder.jpg’ in each album folder with cover art picture). You need to be able to mount the files on your NAS with SMB or NFS.

Richard I just loaded up Rigelian it is VERY nice.  

2 hours ago, Justin62 said:

Newbie question: I want to stream hi res audio from Tidal and/or Quobuz to my Mytek Liberty DAC. The Allo gear - either the US Bridge Signature or the DigiOne Signature - looks really, really promising. But also a little daunting for someone who doesn’t tinker. What would be the most straightforward implementation of OS and Software/Applications to stream? Does an OS like Volumio or MoOde allow you to stream directly from Tidal/Quobuz or do you need another application - squeezelite? Mconnect? Roon? So confused. Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Justin,

With Volumio you can use their software to stream directly from Tidal or Qobuz.  MoOde does not have the ability to play Tidal and Qobuz without "Help"...  Both of these run on the Allo USBridge Sig device.  

I have a blog here that describes a lot of the things involved in Audio:

I have not added to the blog in a while.  So here are a couple of notes to help and a promise to add more to the blog!

Squeezelite is a software package that implements the squeezbox protocol.  Control software such as Logitech Media Server and Roon can control this software.

Mconnect is an application that can control devices on your network that are UPnP compatible (Universal Plug and Play)

Roon is a comprehensive music management and playback system that is sold as a subscription service.  

-----------

You can start a thread to ask for help!

RJF

2 hours ago, Gavin1977 said:

Great review!  How did you power the txUSBultra - HDplex?      Does the USB signature have the same timing and clarity you get from the txUSBultra when attached to your server?

The txUSBultra was powered by an LPS-1.2 through the HDPLEX 400 that was powering my server.

The signature has more clarity.  I am not sure what you mean by timing.

Just now, bobfa said:

The txUSBultra was powered by an LPS-1.2 through the HDPLEX 400 that was powering my server.

2 hours ago, henke said:

You are making progress with audio discoveries Bob, honest and nice review, thanks.

Since it beats your custom server how do you think the USBridge compares to Signature Rendu SE Optical?

I have started some comparisons between the devices since I own both. It is hard to do because the Sonore does not always work right with my Kii Control. I cannot swap USB between the Sonore and any other devices without powering off the KI Control off.  I have a second Allo on the way that I will use on my Hugo II to swap back and forth with it as the Hugo II seems to be immune to the Sonore problem I am having.

I have been testing with the Allo DIGIONE Signature  on Coax and the Sonore on USB. This, of course, is not apples to apples. I do not care to elaborate more as of this time.  

I have promised to try to evaluate the DIGIONE Signature.  My issue with that is I do not have something else to compare it with.  My plan then is to swap between inputs on the Kii and on the Hugo II and see if I can observe differenced in common.  It would be nice to have another high caliber streamer with SPDIF output.  

RJF

21 hours ago, clipper said:

use GentooPlayer with the Allo USBridge Signature.  It’s the best sounding OS I have tried on the Allo devices.

Clipper,

I have not tried GentooPlayer.  All of the kernel swapping, etc.  might be a little fussy for me.  I would want a real  starting point.  One set of settings for MPD and one set for Squeezelite.  I will watch for an official release.  

I know that Allo is working on a custom build of MoOde for their hardware which will be interesting.

bob

On 11/26/2019 at 6:41 PM, clipper said:

use GentooPlayer with the Allo USBridge Signature.  It’s the best sounding OS I have tried on the Allo devices.

Clipper,

I have not tried GentooPlayer.  All of the kernel swapping, etc.  might be a little fussy for me.  I would want a real  starting point.  One set of settings for MPD and one set for Squeezelite.  I will watch for an official release.  

I know that Allo is working on a custom build of MoOde for their hardware which will be interesting.

bob

• 3 weeks later...

I have a short update.  I seem to have found one of the interaction problems with Roon and MoOde!

In the setup instructions from @clipper  Roon has to be configured to not compress FLAC files it sends to GenToo Player.  I flipped the same switch for the MoOde endpoint and it seems to have fixed the track skipping/not starting issues I was having.  

----------------

There is more info on Gentoo Player here.  

With some help from @antonellocaroli and some push from @clipper  I started listening to  a test version of Gentoo Player for the Allo USBridge Sig.  

A lot of cool software is coming out of Italy!  I might just try this on an Intel platform like my Xeon based server.  I guess I cannot sell my extra power supplies just yet!  Merry Christmas!

Bob

On 12/23/2019 at 1:32 PM, cpasmoi said:

bonsoir

je suis français et je partage les mêmes préoccupations sur la dématérialisation, utilise actuelle un Pc de bureau Puissant et très énergivore comme serveur sur lequel est stocké ma musique dématérialisée

il est relié à un réseau pour diffuser sur un Lecteur Lumin D1 piloté par un IPAD avec l’application Lumin.

le lecteur est relié en RCA vers un ampli HEGEL H80 qui drive des enceintes Colonnes DALi Opticon 5

je me sers du lecteur Reseau Lumin pour lire mes Fichiers Flac HI res, ce ripés et du DSD64 et 128

j'ai un abonnement TIDAL HIFI

j'utilise également le service TuneIn pour lire les web radios, mais la qualité n est pas au rendez-vous c est du MP3

je souhaiterais m'orienter vers un serveur audiophile et le ALLO USBRIDGE SIGNATURE PLAYER 

celui ci serait brancher en USB vers le Lumin d1, et le tout en utilisant Roon à partir de mon IPAD, 

plus l’utilité de l'application Lumin 

avec Roon implanté nativement dans le Lumin

- Lecture des fichiers musicaux en local

- Web radios avec Roon ? est ce possible et quelle qualité de diffusion ?

- écouter TDAL Hifi

voila ma requete, par contre pour faire tourner Roon ? comment cela se passe t'il cest l'allo usb bridge sur lequel il est implanté ou bien le lumin D1 , j'ai un peu de mal avec la dématérialisation

merci de voter retour

cpasmoi

I am French and I share the same concerns on dematerialization, currently uses a powerful and very energy-consuming desktop PC as a server on which my dematerialized music is stored

it is connected to a network to broadcast on a Lumin D1 Reader controlled by an IPAD with the Lumin application.

the reader is connected in RCA to a HEGEL H80 amplifier which drives DALi Opticon 5 Column speakers

I use the Lumin Network reader to read my Flac HI res files, this ripés and DSD64 and 128

I have a TIDAL HIFI subscription

I also use the TuneIn service to read web radios, but the quality is not there it is MP3

I would like to switch to an audiophile server and the ALLO USBRIDGE SIGNATURE PLAYER

this one would be plugged in USB to the Lumin d1, and all using Roon from my iPad,

plus the usefulness of the Lumin app

with Roon implanted natively in Lumin

- Play music files locally
- Web radios with Roon? is this possible and what quality of broadcast?
- listen to TDAL Hifi

here is my request, on the other hand to make Roon turn? how it goes it is the allo usb bridge on which it is installed or the lumin D1, I have a little trouble with the dematerialization

please vote back

it's not me

On 12/23/2019 at 1:32 PM, cpasmoi said:

I am trying to answer here and I used Google Translate to help me.

The Lumin D1 is a complete playback system with network streamer and DAC if I am correct.  The Allo USBridge is equivalent to the front half of your Lumin.  The network to the front end of the DAC.  I do not think there is a way in the Lumin to actually feed the DAC from USB.  With the Lumin D1 I do not see how you would use the Allo.  

IF you are asking about Roon, it will play your local music files and of course Tidal HIFi.  The web radio support in Roon will play whatever the radio stations stream at.  Mostly lower bit rate material.  

The Allo will not run the Roon Core.  You need a different computing platform for that.  Here is an article that may help with Roon:  

https://roonlabs.com/howroonworks.html

Also note if you are running Roon you would not use the Lumin App.

The Allo can boot multiple operating systems that can act as a Roon Output or Roon bridge as it is sometimes called.

Bob Fairbairn

New Year update!

I am now using the just released 64bit version of Gentoo Player as Squeezelite endpoints for Roon

.  While it is still very early this release is VERY promising.  @antonellocaroli is working on some software updates and a web menu for the OS.   Read the thread below for the latest info.

Find out more at: http://gentooplayer.com

And on the thread here:

Bob 

Note I have updated my system diagram with the current hardware info;

1797960632_MyStero.thumb.jpeg.4abf6279c044229773a08d70f3c4bca0.jpeg

14 minutes ago, luisma said:

Hi Bob,  Happy New Year, you are keeping yourself busy, thank you for the contribution. So you are running Gentoo on the Allo Sig, you are not longer using MOODE, I see they have a version for the original Allo Bridge not Sig so potentially I could run Gentoo there too, the last DietPi version doesn't support my Denafrips DAC new board and I think the Gentoo version might.

You are not longer using any AL versions? do you know if Gentoo could run Miska's NAA?

Take care

Luis

Luis,

I have not been using Audio Linux for around six months.  Up until my review of the Allo USBridge Sig I had been running Euphony on my Xeon machine as a single box solution.  I was switching between Roon + StylusEP and Stylus .

I am waiting for the 6.4.1 update from MoOde to see what it does.  I think that Allo is working on something new too.  Gentoo Player (not to be confused with Gentoo Linux) has turned out to be a real gem and @antonellocaroli has been working pretty darn hard on making it better in a lot of ways.  I really love to see people who enjoy their work.

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, katwax said:

Just ordered the USBridge Signature Player + Shanti, was looking at it for quite some time, but after reading your review I wanted it even more. Just because I also have the Kii BXT System. So in the end what would be the recommended OS after you tested them all, I have to keep in mind it must be supporting Spotify Connect.

Hi,

I would look at MoOde to see if it does what you want.  I am still using my USBridge on my headphone system.  I like it a lot.  I use the Shanti to feed both the USBridge Sig and my Hugo 2 DAC.  My second one is going to go into a different system that is sill in the needs analysis phase!  (Or mabye wants analysis)

On my Kii Three system I have something different.  There will be something posted soon on that!  A bit more upscale!

bob

14 minutes ago, sjj said:

I have a 2009 Mac mini that I’m planning to replace. Been considering different options including USBridge. Looking forward to your post on what you been working with. Maybe it’ll provide me with another option - before my mini dies.

SJJ,

Tell us a bit more about the rest of your system and about your goals, what you use for music sources and your idea of what you want.

Bob 

4 hours ago, katwax said:

Looking forward to read about it.

TBH I think the Kii Control + the digital path isn't influenced (much) by the source (if digital), that's also why I was hesitating to change my streaming. Due to some other reasons, mainly my htpc starting showing his age, I had to come up with a replacement and the USBridge Sig + Shanti should be 1 of the best transports and price is comparable with a  Nuc, so I give it a try, but don't expect it to sound (much) better.

Got the package (bridge + shanti) yesterday, came with Dietpi but didn't like it that much, so I installed MoOde as suggested and must say that works like a charm. Local music or Spotiy just sound very good. Need to do some more in depth listening and will do a comparison with what I had.

For now I'm happy with it and it sounds really good, but the Kii BXT System always sounds awesome :)

What I have found is that the Kii will tell you exactly how good your digital source is.  They tell you a lot! I agree it is not dramatic. The Allo USBridge Sig is really amazing for the price.  

The Kii Threes also benefit from AC power upgrades.

• 4 months later...
3 minutes ago, GrahamJohnMiles said:

Having listened to Moode on the Allo USBridge Signature Endpoint for a couple of days I just found it too muddy and syrupy with my Khadas Tone Board. Switching back to Ropieee, brought sparkle and dynamics back to the music. It’s all subjective. What works for one listener won’t work for another. 

if you are so inclined give Gentooplayer a try.  I have been using since my review as an Squeezelite endpoint for my Roon system.

http://Gentooplayer.com

There is a pretty active thread here on Audiophile Style

I am running Gentooplayer on my Ryzen 7 system right now. it is my Roon core and a Squeezelite endpoint for my Kii Threes.

1 hour ago, GrahamJohnMiles said:

Listening to Gentoo on the USBridge Sig. and finding it very nice indeed. Seems to be a little more clarity at lower volume, which is what I like in my smaller room. Took about an hour to get set up, the web interface is certainly different to the other OS’s out there so there’s a bit of a mindset change needed for a user. But overall, not an ordeal. Will give it an extended audition. 

That is great!

I am trying to help @antonellocaroli with a couple of guides for setup.  I have found the system to be stable and to sound great.    I use a combo of the web interface and the menu system in an SSH session to the OS.  I tend to use the SSH session.

What playback software are you using?

bob