IGNORED

EtherREGEN: Installation, Usage, Difficulty, Questions thread

4 hours ago, simon_pepper said:

I would need a Media Convertor with STP cage, a STP module for the EtherREGEN and a short length of fibre.

How about the $99 Mikrotik. That way you can experiment if removing everything over to Mikrotik will make a change. If not, you have in addition prove the moat and isolation on the EtherRegen is working 😀

The EtherRegen is said to perform better with another EtherRegen in front. Or the opticalModule. Assuming you’re after better results on the Naim NDS network player. 

As you also probably know, we all like the AfterDark clocks. So you may experiment with one of those as well. If better SQ B side is the goal. 

I don’t know anything about the Naim, and if it’s worth trying to improve SQ on it by network tweaking. 

Has anyone experienced continued dropping off of the signal coming out of the regen?

I have had the unit running continuously for the last ten days and it started happening yesterday. I gave it a rest today for an hour or so, bypassing it altogether, and music was playing fine. I’ve since returned the regen back into the system with a successful spell (about 8 hours).So far so good. Has anyone else suffered similar problems? 

BTW it’s being powered by both the stock power supply and a Poweroak 12v power bank. The problem has occurred with both power supplies connected ( not together of course!). TIA

1 hour ago, [email protected] said:

Has anyone experienced continued dropping off of the signal coming out of the regen?

I have had the unit running continuously for the last ten days and it started happening yesterday. I gave it a rest today for an hour or so, bypassing it altogether, and music was playing fine. I’ve since returned the regen back into the system with a successful spell (about 8 hours).So far so good. Has anyone else suffered similar problems? 

BTW it’s being powered by both the stock power supply and a Poweroak 12v power bank. The problem has occurred with both power supplies connected ( not together of course!). TIA

No, mine are running very stable. The tube-based external clock for one of them can give problems during the first 15 minutes after turning it on, though. But apart from that no hickups whatsoever.

All best,

Jens

i5 Macbook Pro running Roon -> Uptone Etherregen -> custom-built Win10 PC serving as endpoint, with separate LPUs for mobo and a filtering digiboard (DIY) -> Audio Note DAC 5ish (a heavily modded 3.1X Bal) -> AN Kit One, heavily modded with silver wiring and Black Gates -> AN E-SPx Alnico on Townshend speaker bars. Vicoustic and GIK treatment.

5 hours ago, [email protected] said:

Are you use ER internal clock or have connected to external clock?

NUC7i7DNBE Akasa Plato fanless case(Windows 10 Pro bridged,LMS)>Cisco WS-C2960G-8TC-L> 2x Buffalo BS-GS2016>Buffalo BS-GS2008>Uptone EtherRegen>BG7TBL master clock>Sonore MicroRendu 1.4>Singxer F-1>Wyred 4 Sound Remedy>Lite DAC60>Schiit Audio Mjolnir 2>Hifiman HE1000

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Mat said:

Newbie with fiber ,

what do i need to use the fiber input on etherregen from cable ethernet modem ?

The best option is probably another EtherRegen in B>A 😀

If you can get an opticalModule, that would be great a solution. 

A cheap FMC, may not be the best solution, but will work. Reason for saying this is a good switch upfront EtherRegen is beneficial. 

So good and reasonable option  is either the $99 Mikrotik or a used Cisco 2960G

https://www.ebay.com/itm/302433766710?epid=74132903&hash=item466a750d36:g:-mIAAOSwDy1eEUYd

(Notice, it’s the 1GB version). 

I suggest to use singel mode fiber. Yellow cable with blue connectors. 
Finisar 1421 modules is cheap on eBay. So is the cable. 

1 hour ago, R1200CL said:

The best option is probably another EtherRegen in B>A 😀

If you can get an opticalModule, that would be great a solution. 

A cheap FMC, may not be the best solution, but will work. Reason for saying this is a good switch upfront EtherRegen is beneficial. 

So good and reasonable option  is either the $99 Mikrotik or a used Cisco 2960G

https://www.ebay.com/itm/302433766710?epid=74132903&hash=item466a750d36:g:-mIAAOSwDy1eEUYd

(Notice, it’s the 1GB version). 

I suggest to use singel mode fiber. Yellow cable with blue connectors. 
Finisar 1421 modules is cheap on eBay. So is the cable. 

I can not get the sonore optical module/ another etherregen, as i can not purchase on the web.

I will try to find microtik /Cisco , and finisar in my country.

Thanks for the help.

12 minutes ago, Mat said:

I can not get the sonore optical module/ another etherregen, as i can not purchase on the web.

I will try to find microtik /Cisco , and finisar in my country.

Thanks for the help.

If you go the Cisco route, be sure to get SFP module(s) that are 'coded' to work in Cisco's. Mikrotik or eR you don't have those limitations (but have to be same mode as the other end). Might be hard to find 1421's for the Cisco. 

SERVER CLOSET (in office directly below living room stereo):NUC 7i5BNH with Roon ROCK (ZeroZone 12V on the NUC)>Cisco 2690L-16PS switch>Sonore opticalModule (Uptone LPS 1.2)>

LIVING ROOM: Sonore opticalRendu Roon version (Sonore Power Supply)> Shunyata Venom USB>Naim DAC V1>Witchhat DIN>Naim NAP 160 Bolt Down>Chord Rumor 2>Audio Physic Compact Classics. OFFICE: opticalModule> Sonore microRendu 1.4> Matrix Mini-i Pro 3> Naim NAP 110>NACA5>KEF Ls50's. BJC 6a and Ghent Catsnake 6a JSSG ethernet; AC cables: Shunyata Venom NR V-10; Audience Forte F3; Ice Age copper/copper; Sean Jacobs CHC PowerBlack, Moon Audio DIN>RCA, USB A>C. Isolation: Herbie's Audio Lab. 

18 hours ago, Mat said:

Newbie with fiber ,

what do i need to use the fiber input on etherregen from cable ethernet modem ?

A Sonore opticalModule Deluxe is a reputed excellent FMC (Fibre Media Converter) and is the new line from Sonore seemingly superseding the non deluxe version. You may have to purchase a separate power supply.

My network switch has fibre optic SFP/SFP+ ports on it so that is why I cannot say firsthand how the Sonore opticalModule Deluxe performs, just its reputation here on the various Hi-Fi forums.

38 minutes ago, GryphonGuy said:

A Sonore opticalModule Deluxe is a reputed excellent FMC (Fibre Media Converter) and is the new line from Sonore seemingly superseding the non deluxe version. You may have to purchase a separate power supply.

My network switch has fibre optic SFP/SFP+ ports on it so that is why I cannot say firsthand how the Sonore opticalModule Deluxe performs, just its reputation here on the various Hi-Fi forums.

There is no stock in Sonore web. 

1 hour ago, Superdad said:

Based on my insider information I will say the May is highly optimistic.  -_-

I am also a Newbie to the world of fibre optics. Currently my ethernet signal comes from an AC adapter to my Ether Regen as does my laptop computer. The output is to my music server.  If I want to gain the benefit of fibre would I just take the output from the Ether Regen to a Sonore opticalModule which would then connect to my music server?

7 minutes ago, Bazza13 said:

If I want to gain the benefit of fibre would I just take the output from the Ether Regen to a Sonore opticalModule which would then connect to my music server?

No, you would like to have the opticalModule between your “AC adapter” and your EtherRegen. 

Unless you can add a fiber card to your server ? But that wouldn’t make much sense if you already have the EtherRegen attached to it. 

3 minutes ago, Bazza13 said:

If I want to gain the benefit of fibre would I just take the output from the Ether Regen to a Sonore opticalModule which would then connect to my music server?

No, it is always better to have the EtherREGEN as the final connection from to whatever is your DAC-attached computer/streamer/renderer endpoint (or Ethernet-input-equipped DAC). And that endpoint should be ALONE on one side of the EtherREGEN's unique active-differential isolation moat--typically the 'B' side.

What is being discussed in the above posts are ways to obtain a fiber-optic network feed TO the EtherREGEN (its SFP cage is on the 'A' side)--from a router or switch that only has copper/RJ45 ports.  This is accomplished with an FMC (fiber media converter), that has RJ45 on one side and optical on the other.  An FMC is a simple device, available cheaply. The Sonore opticalModule Deluxe (whose production is currently on hold due to parts and changes) is the finest FMC to-date as it done with a Crystek CCHD-575 XO, LT3045 voltage regulators, and @JohnSwenson's great attention to detail in PCB layout and power networks.

The EtherREGEN itself can act as an FMC since it too has a SFP cage for fiber-optic transceiver and a number of other copper/RJ45 Ethernet ports--plus our special "ADIM" (moat).  The difference between feeding the EtherREGEN via SFP/fiber is generally subtle; after all, both its SFP cage and the 'A' side RJ45 ports feed the very same main Ethernet switch chip just a couple centimeters away.  But some people do enjoy feeding the EtherREGEN fiber and if done well it seems to be worthwhile.

Hope that all is clear. 

Best,

--Alex C.

8 hours ago, Superdad said:

No, it is always better to have the EtherREGEN as the final connection from to whatever is your DAC-attached computer/streamer/renderer endpoint (or Ethernet-input-equipped DAC). And that endpoint should be ALONE on one side of the EtherREGEN's unique active-differential isolation moat--typically the 'B' side.

What is being discussed in the above posts are ways to obtain a fiber-optic network feed TO the EtherREGEN (its SFP cage is on the 'A' side)--from a router or switch that only has copper/RJ45 ports.  This is accomplished with an FMC (fiber media converter), that has RJ45 on one side and optical on the other.  An FMC is a simple device, available cheaply. The Sonore opticalModule Deluxe (whose production is currently on hold due to parts and changes) is the finest FMC to-date as it done with a Crystek CCHD-575 XO, LT3045 voltage regulators, and @JohnSwenson's great attention to detail in PCB layout and power networks.

The EtherREGEN itself can act as an FMC since it too has a SFP cage for fiber-optic transceiver and a number of other copper/RJ45 Ethernet ports--plus our special "ADIM" (moat).  The difference between feeding the EtherREGEN via SFP/fiber is generally subtle; after all, both its SFP cage and the 'A' side RJ45 ports feed the very same main Ethernet switch chip just a couple centimeters away.  But some people do enjoy feeding the EtherREGEN fiber and if done well it seems to be worthwhile.

Hope that all is clear. 

Best,

--Alex C.

Thanks Alex,

Any recommendation for FMC available right now , as we don’t know when is sonore is ready ?