IGNORED

EtherREGEN: Installation, Usage, Difficulty, Questions thread

The interesting thing about the form factor for the ER: they don't like to stay put if any of the cables connecting are heavy/stiff, let alone the power brick is pulling the unit away.  Luckily I've got an extra VPI Brick to place on top of the ER so it stays in place on my rack.  Only real concern is ensuring I've enough surface area exposed to release heat from the ER.  Might need to use some "feet" to elevate them off the surface of the rack.

And thanks Puma Cat.  I wasn't aware of the sensitivity of such clocks.  Will have to monitor the temperature while trying to keep the ER stable. 

Steve Schaffer

Grimm MU1 / dCS Vivaldi Upsampler - APEX DAC - Clock / Spectral DMC-30SV preamp / Spectral Anniversary monoblocks / Wilson Audio Alexia V /  Wilson Lōkē subs / Shunyata Everest / Shunyata Omega interconnects, power cables, Ethernet / Shunyata Altaira / Uptone EtherREGEN switch / Cybershaft OP21A-D / Uptone JS2 LPS / HRS racks - Vortex footers - damping plates

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, esmit said:

The new firmware has been running stable for 24 hours now. As a former programmer I would say: it builds! SHIP IT, SHIP IT! 😉

As a former quality assurance analyst I would say: beta test and then some, especially to ensure things don't merely get fixed, but don't break anything or degrade performance in the process.

Steve Schaffer

Grimm MU1 / dCS Vivaldi Upsampler - APEX DAC - Clock / Spectral DMC-30SV preamp / Spectral Anniversary monoblocks / Wilson Audio Alexia V /  Wilson Lōkē subs / Shunyata Everest / Shunyata Omega interconnects, power cables, Ethernet / Shunyata Altaira / Uptone EtherREGEN switch / Cybershaft OP21A-D / Uptone JS2 LPS / HRS racks - Vortex footers - damping plates

4 hours ago, Summit said:

Yes I would need to reorganize my audio system, because I don’t have any unused power outlets left on my power conditioner or on the mains wall outlet close to my audio system. I have lots of unused outlets on my other power conditioner used for my routers, switch etc.

I must say that I find the reaction to my question almost unfriendly. It is a thread for question and I have bought ER and read things like this below and was wondering if it was affecting SQ if using longer cables. I guess now I know better than to ask again here.

The point being that what comes before the isolation--and final clocking "out" to the DAC-connected device--is what will matter much less.  But the cable from that--typically the lone 'B"-side port--will be the one that still matters.  Hence we suggest keeping the EtherREGEN close to the DAC-connected Ethernet renderer (or Ethernet DAC) and using a short, high-quality cable for that connection.

If you have an inkling to test cables without paying too much for the ability you might want to check out https://www.thecableco.com/lending-library or if you have a local high end dealer, see if they have some quality Cat6 level UTP of varying lengths that you can try.  If you've a dealer that sells Shunyata products, their most recent Ethernet cables, though not inexpensive, are incrementally less costly than most as you go to greater lengths than standard 1.5m and have additional technologies that help SQ above and beyond what nearly all others offer.

Steve Schaffer

Having many SR Galileo cables in my system, I can vouch for their SQ versus other options, both analogue and digital.  I don't use an Ethernet version of this particular line, and would love to have one to compare to Shunyata Sigma I currently use, but at a quarter of the price.  My local dealer carries both product lines, so I'll need to find out if they've even brought in an SR Galileo for evaluation. 

Steve Schaffer

1 hour ago, thotdoc said:

Roon is what I'm using. I'm not set up with another software player. And honestly, I don't want to have to use another as Roon manages my library, Tidal and Qobuz. And, I do not get pleasure from playing with the software...used to...but I'm working too hard and want to relax, not take on another project when I get home to relax.

Without setting up another player, is there a way I could tell it is Roon?

Seems the only thing you might try is to swap the eR for another switch to prove either the music source (Roon Server) or the eR is creating the problem.  What I'm assuming is that your were using a switch or the switch function of your router.  And in all instances of using Roon this happens: source is local music files, services (Tidal and Qobuz), radio stations?

Steve Schaffer

Just now, thotdoc said:

Thanks. I can switch back to the optical module.

I'll try that tomorrow.

Oh...optical.  That's a whole other wrinkle in the picture.  I'd thought you were using all copper.  I've never used optical, so I don't know what problems may occur with that, especially using the eR versus whatever you'd been using previously that worked.  Might not be an apples to apples comparison, so more difficult to problem solve.

Steve Schaffer

3 minutes ago, thotdoc said:

Interesting. After I changed the FW the system worked for several days. Tonite when I started up, there was a download of a new version of Roon software...then this happened. I'll have to check.  Thank you 

Well the new drop of Roon might explain things:

Screen Shot 2019-11-26 at 10.03.32 PM.png

Steve Schaffer

3 hours ago, owldiscourse said:

That's what I own also. It is amazing, but but but .... Galileo. Ready to sell my LP collection to fund this purchase. Still wondering if the metal connector is compatible with EtherRegen but.... 🦗🦗🦗

Probably a good idea to actually contact Synergistic Research to get the details on just what spec they are using for their implementation and if UTP or STP or some other variant.

Steve Schaffer

On 11/12/2019 at 11:16 AM, Superdad said:

Okay, so let's back up and confirm that the 'B'-side of your EtherREGEN is functioning properly (it should be as we test every unit):

Please attach something other than your AL NUC to the 'B'-side port. Your NAS, computer whatever.  Confirm that you can move data across the moat from A>B or B>A. Please refer to page 6 of the User Guide with regards to the meanings of the LEDs on each side (the colors mean different things for A and B sides).

Let us know what is the result.  And you can try power cycling your EtherREGEN as well.

By any chance would the clock switch setting be a possible culprit?

Steve Schaffer

42 minutes ago, Avalfa said:

Hmm, I might have an issue here.....

I updated the firmware last week Thursday I think it was, listened for an hour, worked great, didn't have time to do more listening until Friday, after half an hour, connection issues while streaming local files from my pc by network to my audionet DNP. Restarted the network unit in the Audionet DNP,v worked again for a few minutes. This went on two times, than I quit listening (tired).

Today I power the gear up, no connection, I reboot the ER, connection established. Listened four songs,.... Connection error, reboot ER, works again no for three songs so far.

I have listened for hours and hours with the ER with stock firmware without any issue, connection error or what so ever. Never had any issues before with the system network wise anyway. And no other changes were made except for swap a basic d-link switch for ER, and only after the firmware update trouble started..

So I'm a little bit concerned right know... 

Has anyone any idea what this van be??

Have you tried restarting the network driver on the DNP?  I’m assuming the eR “B” port is wired to the DNP’s RJ45. I’m guessing you want to avoid resetting the network module to factory and starting over.  

Steve Schaffer

• 1 month later...
43 minutes ago, Pokey77 said:

Not sure if this is the right thread to post this question.

I've read the listening impressions thread from beginning to end and I have the following question.

Is the EtherRegen appropriate for use with an Aurender N10? I've only seen one person comment they use an Aurender. See my system config below.

ATT Fiber optic from the telephone pole to inside the house and to a BGW210 ATT-supplied router/modem. Monoprice Cat 5e 3' cable to an inwall run of Cat 5e run to behind my system and then 3' Cat 5e to N10.

Are you using any switch today, or are you simply connecting the N10 the long run from the router/modem?  I'm assuming the N10 is currently wired to your DAC via AES/EBU, S/PDIF, or Coax..  Is your music inside the N10 or are you getting it from a NAS or via the USB port on the N10 with an external hard drive?  Or is the network simply allowing you to stream from the internet for services like Qobuz?  Connecting the B side of the eR to your N10 Ethernet port will provide benefits in cleaning up any A side attached network devices like your router/modem and NAS.  Beyond that, unless I'm missing something, you're one of few who are not streaming into an Ethernet enabled DAC environment.  However, using AES/EBU with the N10 into your DAC is qualitatively better than any other option, I think.

Steve Schaffer

Sorry.  Wasn't examining the possibilities.  I guess if the N10 is receiving data streams from one side or the other of the eR, it then moves the results via other means to the downstream DAC.  The N10 requires a wired Ethernet connection to the wifi/router, as there is no WiFi capability in the N10 (and using an iPad for instance, communicating via the wifi/router allows for managing playback).  So, this would require a connection from the A or B side into the N10's network port, likely using the B side, and allowing the A side to support multiple other Ethernet connections (NAS for instance, and of course the WiFi router).  Not sure where the "biggest bang for the buck" sound-wise would come in making connections, though I'm inclined to favor B port to Aurender.  That way the eR maximizes the quality of all upstream bit streams that get fed into the N10. 

The confusion I had is my own point of reference (my network and system) and failing to acknowledge the flexibility and possibilities in using the eR in so many scenarios.

Steve Schaffer

• 2 weeks later...

Regarding LED's - you might give these a try: https://www.lightdims.com/index.php

Otherwise your hardware store is likely to have blue painter's tape which may or may not stick very long on the surface, especially if it gets really warm.

Steve Schaffer

• 7 months later...
On 9/11/2020 at 12:14 AM, JohnSwenson said:

The negatives of the two outputs of the JS-2 are connected together (they are NOT connected to safety ground (third pin on the AC plug)) thus you are bypassing the "moat" powering both off the same JS-2. Try powering the EtherREGEN off the SMPS it comes with and see if that changes anything.

John S.

I’m using a JS-2 to power both a Roon Nucleus (A side connection) and ER with B side connection to a dCS Upsampler. Any benefit using a ground wire from the ER to the grounding post of a Shunyata Denali power conditioner or newer Everest?

Steve Schaffer