IGNORED

UpTone Audio EtherREGEN Listening Impressions

Etherregen arrived two days ago and chain is:

Modem (Uptone JS2) > Shunyata SIGMA Ethernet cable> Etherregen (PC is Shunyata ALPHA) > Shunyata Ethernet cable> Streamer> WEISS USB to SPDIF converter>Empirical Audio Syncromesh clock>DAC.  

Very sensitive and high res system that highlight the slightest changes in cabling, isolation........I do a lot of config testing and to the clowns on ASR, who carry on about blind testing A/B and all that stuff - when you switch gear in and out and you hear the same signature in the changes and others recognise it too, the measurement argument is a fallacy. It matters only marginally in what you actually hear and how you react. If these guys cant hear the difference between a silver and copper cable or power cables then they are in the wrong hobby. Anyway......

Interesting observations:

I used an EMO 70e to great effect until I received the Shunyata SIGMA ethernet cable - which made it redundant. Different technicals re the filters on the SR versus the isolator but it is the only cable I have tested where the EMO provides no benefit. I use it end to end. I mention this as it may have impact on my observations.....

After three hours of listening (appreciate that lots of break in to go), here is my immediate impression:

The Very Good.

1. This is a remarkable piece of gear and immediately I hear more profound, textured and present bass. Not boomy but solid and you hear more of what the foundation this instrument brings to the music. Harmonic overtones are better heard.

2. Soundstage is wider and deeper. There is more of the sensation of instruments floating in front of speakers. This is not hard to experience. It isn't like otehr tests where you try to find differences or have to tilt your head to try and imagine it. It is there. Unmistakable. 

3. A sense of "performance" - more live and engaging. You want to listen to more recordings. This is THE test for me. Do I enjoy things more or do I keep channel surfing.

The not so Good.

1. There is a slight dulling of treble and the popping of dynamics. Almost filter like. Ex the ER, there is more veracity and tingle to instruments like the triangle and with the ER these are more polite - smooth. But to a point where they seem a bit robbed of energy.

2. A slight bityness to SQ when volume turned up. (expect this is a burn in issue).

Does the Etherregen work? Without question and it works to a greater effect than swapping very high end PC and IC cables in the rig. And these did make a big difference. I have yet to give it some testing re LPS, different ethernet cables etc... and I can say that music is more enjoyable to listen to.

The dulling of the treble and dynamics is something that is strange - even though all this SQ is set within an incredible 3D scape.  Hopefully a decent burn in will address this.  Interesting in others experiences re dynamics and treble roundness. What it does well so far is extraordinary - just a bit inconsistent so far re the total SQ setting.