IGNORED

Hi-Res - Does it matter? Blind Test by Mark Waldrep

Ajax

13 minutes ago, gmgraves said:

2L is a Swedish audiophile label, and I have a couple of their Blu-Ray releases. If you want to capture the 60 KHz on them, you do definitely need at least a 120 KHz sampling rate (likely either 176.4 or 192 KHz), but I seriously question why. BTW, I doubt seriously (in fact , I know) that you won’t find the mikes you just mentioned being used on a regular basis at MCA, Warner, EMI, TelDec, or DGG!

I know both especially the DPA but also the Sennheisers being used for lot of classical recordings by different labels. Especially if you look at 5.1 channel Decca-trees or similar suspended from concert hall ceilings. Like here in Helsinki. DPA used to have 130V phantom versions of 4006 etc, and especially those are used in high quality recordings. Many still have the original versions under B&K brand, before DPA split.

When I'm looking at for example HiFi-News reviews of recent hires recordings, many of the 96k tracks, or even most, have content reaching the 48k Nyquist.

If someone is making hires releases, it only makes sense to invest into hires capable microphones as well.

P.S. 2L is Norwegian, not Swedish... ;)

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

6 minutes ago, gmgraves said:

Right now, I am using an AudioQuest Cobalt in my office system, AFAICS, it does not support DSD, but the Chord Quetest that I have on loan does, and I have used it to listen to my DSD master files. Without that, I have to rely on my Kong MR-2000s or MR-1 to play them back!

OK, the Chord converts DSD to PCM first and then back to SDM. But the Korg does have actually DSD capable DAC too. And a real 1-bit DSD ADC (any PCM recording with it is just DSD-to-PCM conversion).

4 minutes ago, gmgraves said:

And many of the hi-res releases are of older material, either originally analog, originally 16/44 digital, or early attempts at 24/96 or DSD. 

Yes, some of the analog material is actually pretty good. I run analysis of all the hires content I get to have idea what it contains.

96/24 has been around for quite a while. I got my first 8 channel in, 8 channel out 96/24 AD/DA converter exactly 20 years ago... That was actually pretty nice device.

1 minute ago, gmgraves said:

Ok, I suspect our friend Mario Martinez also uses the latest wide-band microphones. When Telarc was still recording, they decided to release everything after around 2000 in DSD, but Bob Woods, their engineer used the same B&K omnis that he always used. While these were “calibration mics”, and had very flat response, I recall that they didn’t go very far above 20K.

You can still get the same stuff under DPA brand, like 4006 and 4007...

13 hours ago, mansr said:

These days, they probably simply paste in their existing DSD handling block with minimal tweaking for each new chip.

Looking how couple of recent AKM chip generations behave, that is not the case...

For me, the more interesting part are all the different discrete designs though.

7 minutes ago, John Dyson said:

It is amazing what people sometimes had to do in fortran...  I had to do similar kinds of things also -- it was always Fortran.  I did try to use Pascal for one such project  -- it was garbage, because the compiller was a true Pascal compiler...  Evil thing.   Pascal is one of those languages that it is nice to have additional features...

On one track, once Pascal developed into Turbo Pascal which developed into Delphi, it is pretty great.

On another track, once Pascal developed into Modula/2, and then Oberon and finally into Ada, it is also great.

But I do my things in C++11, C and assembly... For practical reasons, not beauty. (for the math stuff I could as well use Fortran, but I don't)